Why do people here hate Warwick so much? Is it bad?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Assan)
    Or.... People who aren't so pampered as to expect the silver service at 18; who can create their own amusement; and who enter in environment with a view as to how they can enhance their environment, not solely how their environment can enhance them. Who understand that some people in the world walk ten miles barefoot on dirt roads to sit under a tin roof with just a chalkboard and some sand because they want to learn so badly, and that to have a building, with desks, and shelter...much less swimming pools, gyms, and aesthetic experiences is something for which to be grateful.

But... Tomatoes, tomahtoes.
    Nope, not offended nor persuaded. I don't associate a dislike of sterile environments with the set of assumptions that you make. Perhaps this debate would be better informed once you've actually been to Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Nope, not offended nor persuaded. I don't associate a dislike of sterile environments with the set of assumptions that you make. Perhaps this debate would be better informed once you've actually been to Warwick.
    I don't see how Warwick's "sterile environment" is particularly relevant. People interested in a subject are similarly enthused to learn regardless of how ugly the buildings are lol, and most people are still having fun in sports, societies, going out etc.

ReputationRep:
    My dad was an American student who got a prestigious scholarship that meant he could attend any British uni he wanted for his MA. ANY BRITISH UNI. That includes Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc. But he chose to go to Warwick. And you know why? Because it's frickin' awesome, that's why. Don't let the haters get you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Only Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial > Warwick. LSE by a little stretch when Warwick is beating them in their own field. They're only a tiny bit behind LSE this year in the QS (when last year they beat LSE) and they are above LSE in the Shanghai rankings.
    Unfortunately, I don't know how much you can read into rankings such as QS. See my previous post for more information.

Warwick has strong reputation both in the UK and internationally. They are connected with leading universities around the world. Trolls are going to hate on it as well as any of the other uni's that are in top 10 yet below Oxbridge. BE CHILL.

(Original post by Nelliebelly)
    My dad was an American student who got a prestigious scholarship that meant he could attend any British uni he wanted for his MA. ANY BRITISH UNI. That includes Oxford, Cambridge, Durham etc. But he chose to go to Warwick. And you know why? Because it's frickin' awesome, that's why. Don't let the haters get you down.
    Was it because your dad only accepted by Warwick vs the others that you mentioned?

Having the financial means and being accepted are 2 different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous;[url="tel:66951874")
    66951874[/url]]Having the financial means and being accepted are 2 different things.
    Am I missing the point? Please explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous;[url="tel:66951732")
    66951732[/url]]Was it because your dad only accepted by Warwick vs the others that you mentioned?
    No, getting the scholarship means he was de facto accepted by any university he wanted.

ReputationRep:
    No, getting the scholarship means he was de facto accepted by any university he wanted.
    I know of scholarships that can be tendered at any uni of the student's choice but never heard of one that was essentially a golden ticket pass admissions...

That would surely involve every university in the UK taking part and being aware of the scholarship because if the student randomly turned up at say Surrey and said "hey this scholarship means I'm studying here now" the uni would be like "huh?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99_Problems)
    I know of scholarships that can be tendered at any uni of the student's choice but never heard of one that was essentially a golden ticket passed admissions...

That would surely involve every university in the UK taking part and being aware of the scholarship because if the student randomly turned up at say Surrey and said "hey this scholarship means I'm studying here now" the uni would be like "huh?"
    Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman;[url="tel:66954280")
    66954280[/url]]Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's the one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Look up the Fulbright Scholarship.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers. I've only read it for like ten seconds but it looks like they still need to apply to institutions directly and get accepted?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Making an application
    The Fulbright application is similar to, but separate from an application to a university or academic institution. Candidates choose and apply to the university(ies) and/or academic programme(s) in the UK they wish to attend directly and independently. Please refer to the timeline to see when to apply to Fulbright, as this may differ from the timeline for applying to academic programmes, universities, and institutions. A Fulbright Award is contingent upon gaining acceptance to the chosen UK institution and/or programme."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99_Problems)
    Cheers. I've only read it for like ten seconds but it looks like they still need to apply to institutions directly and get accepted?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Making an application
    The Fulbright application is similar to, but separate from an application to a university or academic institution. Candidates choose and apply to the university(ies) and/or academic programme(s) in the UK they wish to attend directly and independently. Please refer to the timeline to see when to apply to Fulbright, as this may differ from the timeline for applying to academic programmes, universities, and institutions. A Fulbright Award is contingent upon gaining acceptance to the chosen UK institution and/or programme."
    Welp, maybe they got accepted at all the universities the above user posted but chose Warwick? Who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman;[url="tel:66954484")
    66954484[/url]]Welp, maybe they got accepted at all the universities the above user posted but chose Warwick? Who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Precisely, which just goes to show that Warwick, as I believe I have mentioned, is frickin' awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it's bad, people turn pretentious when they go to university. Ignore them universities don't mean **** these days anyway, devalued.

(Original post by Harold Godwinson)
    I doubt it's bad, people turn pretentious when they go to university. Ignore them universities don't mean **** these days anyway, devalued.
    You probably got rejected from a half decent uni.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, just have the fortune of being wiser then the average Joe

ReputationRep:
    And I don't fancy the prospect of becoming a university grad, in a non graduate job, because there aren't enough for everyone and stuck with massive debt. Why do you think there are so many universities cropping up everywhere? It's big business.

(Original post by Harold Godwinson)
    And I don't fancy the prospect of becoming a university grad, in a non graduate job, because there aren't enough for everyone and stuck with massive debt. Why do you think there are so many universities cropping up everywhere? It's big business.
    A good degree (something that has a purpose and is rigorous) from a good university (top 20 nationwide, not some crappy college nobody has ever heard about), combined with internships/lots of relevant work experience done during the summer holidays will ensure you won't end up in a non-grad job.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.