The Student Room Group

British schoolgirl who ran away to Syria with her two friends dies in airstrike.

Scroll to see replies

I feel sympathy for the family. Their teenage daughter has been killed in a way which we can assume would leave very little for a funeral or recovery. However on the other hand she is a traitor to the country she was raised in and betrayed her family and religion. She may have been only 16 but that doesn't make you completely dumb. Surely she would've had the common sense to look at the reported incidents of women under ISIS control being made into sex slaves or married to jihadi fighters who would rape and abuse them. In all honesty a quick death from an airstrike is probably the best way to go for her, rather than attempting to escape and being tortured. Hopefully her death can be used to show other young girls not to do such an idiotic thing and join ISIS.
Only death can rid us of fools.
It's her own fault. Everyone knows that Syria is dangerous yet she decided to put her deluded ambitions of working for ISIS above living in the UK safely. No sympathy at all here.
What is noticeable is the disconnect between the BBC, in its luvvie liberal bubble, and the most of the country.

According to the former, this is a great tragedy, promising student lost her life, ya de ya. Everybody I know in the real world, and many on here think the stupid b1tch got what she deserved. If you are a traitor to your country and get killed that is no tragedy, but a good thing...

The cultural gulf between media outlets like the BBC and the people, noticeable over Brexit and (of which they had no clue, so out of touch are they) seems to get wider by the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
So the families lawyer says it is a 'great loss' .. anybody else find such a remark rather obscene?
Original post by topkart
Look at all the so called 'moral' people on this thread celebrating her death and hoping she suffered as much as possible.

Hell outta here with that sanctimonious blithering*
Original post by generallee
What is noticeable is the disconnect between the BBC, in its luvvie liberal bubble, and the most of the country.

Everybody I know in the real world, and many on here think the stupid b1tch got what she deserved..

They have just reported the story as news organisations are meant to do.

Cant see anything wrong with the BBC coverage its similar to the Daily Mail.

Your view is hardly surprising and predictably simplistic, as usual.
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
I remember reading on a BBC article that she was a "straight- A- student".Not sure how credible that was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally every dumb chav which gets wasted is either a straight A student or a future sports star. It's the usual trope.
Should be used as an example for all
I remember reading on a BBC article that she was a "straight- A- student".Not sure how credible that was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A fair number of these guys who join ISIS from the UK are middle-class and have great grades etc. This narrative that they're all down trodden and wherever is apologist nonsense. The guy who blew his dick off trying to blow up that plane was a former president of the UCL Isoc whose father is a prominent businessman

In fact we can see from even TSR Isoc how academically successful people can have radical and insane views *
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grade inflation these days...
Reply 91
Brilliant
Original post by The Epicurean
I have no doubt my views will be controversial. I don't find this a cause to celebrate over. How I see it, a young British citizen died. A young British teenager who was radicalised in our country. What this evidently highlights is that we have a problem in the UK where teenagers are becoming radicalised and it is an issue we need to address. So in these situation I don't celebrate, but mourn the loss young lives which could have accomplished so much more if we could have prevented such indoctrination taking place.

Agreed, this is a major issue which needs to be tackled. I'm also disgusted by some of the comments on this thread. Sure, there's no reason why people should have to mourn her death, but wishing her death was painful and the such is vile. It makes them no better than ISIS who wish for our painful deaths because of our beliefs.
I would never celebrate the death of a teenager, but I don't feel a shred of sympathy for her either. She was sixteen, not six, more than old enough to know the difference between right and wrong and to know that she was joining a gang of murderous, raping, slave-owning psychopaths. I don't really buy this 'oh but she was radicalised' stuff either, the way this is constructed so passively, as though she had nothing to do with it and was quietly minding her own business when ooooooops, suddenly Islamic radicalisation fell on her out of the sky and the poor innocent little lamb had few other options but to trot off to Syria and it's all somehow our fault. Clearly being brought up to believe in a supremacist ideology had a lot to do with it.

And re the comments about the BBC 'just reporting the story', they reported it as 'London schoolgirl feared dead in Syria' and that she 'disappeared along with two friends', which is putting a pretty massive spin on it.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Should be used as an example for all

Thats one good reason to use it as an example to challenge those who might be thinking of doing the same. She was naive and misguided and made her own choices.
I have little sympathy about what happened, but it is a waste of life that could easily have been avoided if she hadnt been so gullible.
Original post by AJP98
Not alot of sympathy, but she was only 17, and regardless of what she did, she was still someone's newborn at some point, and someone will still grieve for her, so my sympathy is with them.
People can be misguided:frown:

didn't get to finish your post sorry too distracted
No sympathy for three dead, misguided teenagers? Have you become the monsters you hate so quickly?
it's good she has died. One scum less to worry about!
Original post by KimKallstrom
A fair number of these guys who join ISIS from the UK are middle-class and have great grades etc. This narrative that they're all down trodden and wherever is apologist nonsense. The guy who blew his dick off trying to blow up that plane was a former president of the UCL Isoc whose father is a prominent businessman

In fact we can see from even TSR Isoc how academically successful people can have radical and insane views *

There's people on the ISOC forum with radically insane views? Are they comparable with ISIS?
(edited 7 years ago)
One of thousands in the west that left to join ISIS

Hopefully they all suffer a similar fate, Russian bombs landing on them before they can make it back to Europe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending