The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Who said I was against capital punishment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Yay, congrats! Are you off to uni next year or taking some time away from education?
    I'm only AS so another year to wait before all that unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    I'm only AS so another year to wait before all that unfortunately
    Ah right, congrats anyway, keep those grades up and you'll have a heck of a lot of choices

ReputationRep:
    A bit late to the party

ReputationRep:
    Durham Student Revue which I saw today in Edinburgh was very good.

ReputationRep:
    NI once again top the A*-C %. 83.4% of NI students got between A*-C at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Choice.
    Crime is a choice, especially capital crime

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Crime is a choice, especially capital crime

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Personal choice.
    If you decide to commit suicide then that is your choice. If a criminal system decides to execute you, then that is not your choice, someone else is making the choice that you should die. You seem to be conflating consequence with choice.

If I commit a crime, I have chosen to commit the crime, I have not chosen to go to prison. The courts make that decision. It's their choice.

You may really try and stretch an argument by claiming that if you comitt crime you have indirectly chosen to be killed, but that's a really weak argument. Only you should be able to determine if you live or die.
    They are very different, and i'm really surprised you can't see it.

I support assisted suicide because I believe a person should have the choice to live or die. I don't support capital punishment for the same reason. A person should have the choice to live or die.

Where is the contradiction in that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Personal choice.
    If you decide to commit suicide either directly or indirectly then that is your choice. If a criminal system decides to execute you, then that is not your choice, someone else is making the choice that you should die.

They are very different, and i'm really surprised you can't see it.

I support assisted suicide because I believe a person should have the choice to live or die. I don't support capital punishment for the same reason. A person should have the choice to live or die.

Where is the contradiction in that?
    Because most of the time when people say capital punishment is wrong it will come with the line "there is never certainty that they committed the crime" even when they admit to it; similarly there can never be certainty that somebody who asks to be killed actually wants to, coercion is a rather easy thing if you're good at it and the person being coerced is in a vulnerable position. A lack of truly thorough safeguards are a problem when you want to hang somebody who MADE THE CONSCIOUS DECISION to become a terrorist, or murderer, or commit high treason or whatever, but as soon as we turn to people wanting somebody else to bump them off they have no issue with a lack of truly thorough safeguards; any thorough safeguards would also set an incredibly dangerous precedent because then you REALLY start looking and thought crimes being a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not big enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought you were enjoying the BBC's coverage of the Olympics though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    I thought you were enjoying the BBC's coverage of the Olympics though?
    Anybody can show the images if they have the contract, doesn't have to be the beeb, would have preferred sky to have it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody can show the images if they have the contract, doesn't have to be the beeb, would have preferred sky to have it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's okay if you are willing to pay the extortionate cost for Sky Sports. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Because most of the time when people say capital punishment is wrong it will come with the line "there is never certainty that they committed the crime" even when they admit to it; similarly there can never be certainty that somebody who asks to be killed actually wants to, coercion is a rather easy thing if you're good at it and the person being coerced is in a vulnerable position. A lack of truly thorough safeguards are a problem when you want to hang somebody who MADE THE CONSCIOUS DECISION to become a terrorist, or murderer, or commit high treason or whatever, but as soon as we turn to people wanting somebody else to bump them off they have no issue with a lack of truly thorough safeguards; any thorough safeguards would also set an incredibly dangerous precedent because then you REALLY start looking and thought crimes being a thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What a bizarre post.

I believe a person should have a direct choice about whether they live or die. Not a really, tenuous, indirect 'choice'. You are really stretching the meaning of choice and conflating it with consequence to make your point. It's really poor.

A person should be able to decide whether or not they can commit suicide because it's their choice. Of course their should be safeguards and I would definitely be in favour of only allowing it through a doctor and ensuring that there was a thorough investigation to determine whether the person was being pressured and was of sound mind. The doctor would then have to authorize any decision.

The reason I think capital punishment is wrong is not because there is no certainty, but rather I believe that each and every one of us should have direct control over whether we live or die.

My logic for supporting assisted suicide (with certain safeguards) and opposing capital punishment is entirely coherent. It's all about a person's choice. Not a stretched, indirect 'choice', but a direct choice solely on whether they want to live or die.

So do tell me where my inconsistency is? I have never said that there should not be safeguards for assisted suicide.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay if you are willing to pay the extortionate cost for Sky Sports. :rolleyes:
    And put up with advert breaks every five minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. We now seem to have the Chief Executive of UCAS suggesting positive discrimination to help more boys who show no interest or inclination towards academia waste taxpayer's money getting a degree.

ReputationRep:
    PS Random question for the non-colour blind people in here. When someone links a URL within a text post and it comes up (I think) purple rather than black, does it stand out and make it easy to tell a link's there? I have difficulty noticing it unless I'm actively looking but guessing that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    PS Random question for the non-colour blind people in here. When someone links a URL within a text post and it comes up (I think) purple rather than black, does it stand out and make it easy to tell a link's there? I have difficulty noticing it unless I'm actively looking but guessing that's just me.
    Links show up in blue text, like your one in the post about ucas.

ReputationRep:
    Links show up in blue text, like your one in the post about ucas.
    Awesome, glad to know it's easy for most people to see :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, glad to know it's easy for most people to see :lol:
    It is indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    NI once again top the A*-C %. 83.4% of NI students got between A*-C at A Level.
    It shows how bad the education system in Britain is, schools should be seeing 100% of A-level results being A*-C; I would expect 83.4% to be the percentage of A*/A grades.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.