Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do bilinguals think in their weaker language? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think and count in German, and when I'm stressed I speak German

ReputationRep:
    I'm perfectly bilingual in English and Spanish and can think in both without a problem as well as transitioning instantly from one language to another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I'm perfectly bilingual in English and Spanish and can think in both without a problem as well as transitioning instantly from one language to another.
    So do you normally think in Spanish or English?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    welsh and french are very weak but i sometimes randomly say my thoughts then translate them subconsciously in my head
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    welsh and french are very weak but i sometimes randomly say my thoughts then translate them subconsciously in my head
    :rofl: I sometimes play being a tanslator in my head and try to literally translate phrases to see how different languages express things. Sometimes it's weird and funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    :rofl: I sometimes play being a tanslator in my head and try to literally translate phrases to see how different languages express things. Sometimes it's weird and funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
    same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Yeah I think and count in German, and when I'm stressed I speak German
    Counting! That's something I have to admit is quite a feat if it's your second language. For the life of me I cannot count in English or any other language than my native as naturally as I can think or talk in them. Fun fact, I was in this project with some international trainers, and even though they were all good at English and the sessions were in English, whenever they had to count something they always did in their native language. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maracatinca)
    Counting! That's something I have to admit is quite a feat if it's your second language. For the life of me I cannot count in English or any other language than my native as naturally as I can think or talk in them. Fun fact, I was in this project with some international trainers, and even though they were all good at English and the sessions were in English, whenever they had to count something they always did in their native language. Interesting.
    Woah really? I find it easier to concentrate if I do it in my 2nd language, or French (3rd). Funny thing is I can speak/survive in German, but my AS grade was not as good as I'd hoped (C) despite me using it so much in life. Full marks in my speaking, but screwed up listening/reading/writing I did it when I was younger as a sort of 'boasting' thing to other people, but now its become a habit!

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in Spanish?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    no, english for me, unless im cussing someone in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    I stupidly wrote an entire french paper in German once so yeah I think so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    Woah really?
    I have seen a lot of people say it is difficult to get into the habit of counting in a foreign language and I would greatly agree. I myself can just about do it with German, although certainly when it gets to bigger numbers I revert to English, but it is definitely not an easy thing to do.

Once you start reading numbers in your target language tho you feel like youve made so much progress.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do actually. I think more in English or a mixture of English and Korean, but there are also times when I think in Korean. Oh and when I'm Korea I tend to think more in Korean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GKwon32)
    Yeah I do actually. I think more in English or a mixture of English and Korean, but there are also times when I think in Korean. Oh and when I'm Korea I tend to think more in Korean.
    So you can think in 2 languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momoneyme89)
    So you can think in 2 languages?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GKwon32)
    Yep
    So you can think in Korean and English, you can't think in any other languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I have seen a lot of people say it is difficult to get into the habit of counting in a foreign language and I would greatly agree. I myself can just about do it with German, although certainly when it gets to bigger numbers I revert to English, but it is definitely not an easy thing to do.

Once you start reading numbers in your target language tho you feel like youve made so much progress.
    Noo the bigger the number the more fun it gets Being in the habit now is pretty annoying, especially in biology when dealing with statistic questions in an exam so I'm a tad panicky so I switch into German without thinking. Pretty sure I've written "daher" or "und" in geog essays too In my mocks I had so many red underlines in bio/geog from where I do my plans in German sometimes because I need to think fast

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Can you think in any other languages (apart from English and Spanish)?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.