The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    An AS already? Too bad Critical Thinking is a meme subject (few unis recognise it)

Anyway, good luck with your GCSEs. History and politics sounds like quite a good degree to go for! What are you planning on taking at A-level?
    yeah ik it's a weak as level but I find it quite interesting and i find lots of the skills are quite transferrable to other essay subjects and our school is quite limited in gcse subject options!

thank you! depending on whether I stay at my school for sixth form or go to a different one I would like to take History, English lit, German, Geography and/or government and politics hbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.e)
    yeah ik it's a weak as level but I find it quite interesting and i find lots of the skills are quite transferrable to other essay subjects and our school is quite limited in gcse subject options!

thank you! depending on whether I stay at my school for sixth form or go to a different one I would like to take History, English lit, German, Geography and/or government and politics hbu?
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and maybe Physics if I have to pick a fourth. (a sixth form I was looking at expected you to take 4 subjects) Then, I'd probably do CS and/or Maths at uni. Our school is really limited too, it's quite small compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    We've done the evaluation for activity 1 and 2, and it's already 10 pages long. Thankfully, were doing the evaluation after each unit so it's not as bad
    Same, we are doing the evaluation for activity 1 and 2. I have to do a draft over the holidays which I haven't started yet.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here doing OCR Computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snikerio)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice! Are you doing Jane Eyre? That's the one I really struggle with - the two plays (Macbeth and AIC) seem more manageable because they're shorter, but being able to answer a question on any part of Jane Eyre seems incomprehensible

If you want a tip for maths, I reckon it's just down to past papers (although considering we're the first ones to do this exam that's a bit tricky), and making sure you understand what's in the course - buying a textbook and ticking off the units as you go will most likely make it seem like much less work. We did a few old spec papers in class, and you get used to the type of questions they're asking quite quickly.

Good luck!
    Your welcome! No I'm not doing Jane Eyre but the rest of my year are. My class studied it in year 9 and our teacher decided to switch to Jekyll & Hyde to 'challenge' us. Jane Eyre is pretty long which is why I'm glad JH, Macbeth and AIC are shorter.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll start doing past papers now try and get it out of the way for September.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hashtosh302)
    what a coincidence i'm doing exactly the same as you!
    There are no coincidences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMackyTv;[url="tel:67064438")
    67064438[/url]]Same, we are doing the evaluation for activity 1 and 2. I have to do a draft over the holidays which I haven't started yet.
    The evaluation is easy as hell, just waffle 😂 but it does take ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    :banana::bl:Welcome to the Official Year 11 Thread (2016-2017):bl: :banana:

As you're aware, we're the first cohort to sit the new GCSE Exams in English Language & Literature and Mathematics in 2017, so we should all help each other out as it will be very bumpy on the road ahead.
    Things YOU can do ...
    - Introduce yourself
    - What are your hobbies and interests?
    - How many GCSEs are you taking?
    - What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
    - Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
    - What's your favourite subject(s)?
    - What's your dream career? (If you don't know that's completely fine, we're only in Year 11 so you still have time to think.)

Changes made to GCSE's for current Year 11's (2016-2017), if you want to see A-Levels please scroll down. All of this information is from the government site.
    September 2015:
    Students currently will start learning new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:
    - English Language
    - English Literature
    - Mathematics
    Summer 2017:
    Students will take exams for new GCSEs, graded 9 - 1, in:
    - English Literature
    - English Language
    - Mathematics
    November 2017:
    Students get the chance to take resit exams for new GCSE's in:
    - English Language
    - English Literature
    - Mathematics

If you want to see changes made to A-Levels for current Year 11's (2016-2017), visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-group#year-10

* Apologies for an incomplete OP, I'm working to get the OP fully completed asap, in the mean time enjoy the new thread.*

Hello! I'm Emily and occasionally come on this thread but I will be coming on more in year 11.

For GCSEs I am taking
    Maths
    English lit
    English Lang
    Triple science
    History
    Geography
    French
    Business studies

So that's 10 GCSEs

Part of me is so calm and unnerved by year 11 but I know that it'll get so much tougher. I am so not ready for the new GCSEs especially maths as I'm already bad at it. I'm also dreading having to memorise quotations

My favourite subject is history

In the future I want to take English lit, history, business studies and government and politics and am hoping for a career in law

Looking forward to this thread it should be good to motivate each other on!

ReputationRep:
    why are so many people doing triple science?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    why are so many people doing triple science?
    Triple science is pretty common is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)
    Hello! I'm Emily and occasionally come on this thread but I will be coming on more in year 11.

For GCSEs I am taking
    Maths
    English lit
    English Lang
    Triple science
    History
    Geography
    French
    Business studies

!
    What exam board are you on for business studies? Haven't found anyone on OCR with me yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itsemziexoxo)

For GCSEs I am taking
    Maths
    English lit
    English Lang
    Triple science
    History
    Geography
    French
    Business studies

So that's 10 GCSEs

Part of me is so calm and unnerved by year 11 but I know that it'll get so much tougher. I am so not ready for the new GCSEs especially maths as I'm already bad at it. I'm also dreading having to memorise quotations

My favourite subject is history

In the future I want to take English lit, history, business studies and government and politics and am hoping for a career in law

Looking forward to this thread it should be good to motivate each other on!
    Hi Emily
    There are many people on this thread that would be more than willing to help you with mathematics, English or any other subject. Feel free to PM any other users (including myself) with any questions you may have.
    Yes, this will be the best Year 11 thread with the most motivated students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Triple science is pretty common is it not?
    I thought that the double science award would be more common.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here does OCR Computing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    I thought that the double science award would be more common.
    Maybe in some parts of the country or at certain schools but I personally have not met someone that has taken double award rather than triple.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I was wondering how you revise for maths as I have a rubbish naths teacher so we haven't covered much of the spec, so i was hoping you could give me a few ways to learn and revise maths as I'm really struggling- i really want a high grade!!

Thanks

(Original post by Lemur14)
    My introduction...
    Hi, I'm Lemur14
    I'm interested in maths and I like to play games.
    I'm taking 14 full GCSEs and 2 half GCSEs iirc (only 11 in 2017 though)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My subjects are:
    Maths (Edexcel)
    English (Lang and Lit) (AQA)
    Triple Science (AQA)
    Computing (AQA)
    Electronics (AQA)
    History (OCR Modern World)
    Business Studies (OCR)
    Additional Maths (OCR FSMQ)
    I've already taken:
    French (Edexcel) B
    Citizenship (Edexcel) A
    Statistics (Edexcel) *result on 25th*
    Religious Studies (AQA B) *result on 25th*
    ECDL Distinction* (A* equivalent)
    I'm definitely not currently ready for year 11 (haven't done all my homework yet for one!) but if I stop procrastinating then I'm good to go. The new GCSEs for me are more annoying than anything else tbh as it jeopardises my chances of a top grade (should be 8/9 borderline in maths and 7/8 borderline for English) whereas I'm confident I could have got an A* certainly in maths before.
    My favourite subjects are maths and chemistry. Partly due to my teacher though...(never liked chemistry before but have always liked maths)
    I'm not exactly sure what my dream career is...I loved my work experience in finance though I'd also like to consider working with children (younger children though so not a secondary school teacher!)
    My favourite smiley is :qed: or :ymca:
    For A levels, I'm definitely taking maths, further maths, chemistry. I don't really want to do physics and my preferred school doesn't teach a programming language I'm comfortable with so I'm not sure about computing. Other than that I'm not sure, hopefully something will shine out to me before I apply (deadline for preferred school is 4th November!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nm1276)
    Hi,
    I was wondering how you revise for maths as I have a rubbish naths teacher so we haven't covered much of the spec, so i was hoping you could give me a few ways to learn and revise maths as I'm really struggling- i really want a high grade!!

Thanks
    I know you didn't ask me but my advice is just past papers over and over, as many as you can. Use examsolutions.com for anything you're stuck on and that should suffice

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umar39)
    Hey
    First of all, that's a cool name
    Please could you list all your subjects and exam boards so students of the same board+subject can interact etc etc.
    Tell us more about your aspirations for the future and what career you would like
    If you ever need help feel free to PM any members I'm sure they'll be glad to help.
    umar39
    Thank you, I would like to do medicine at any university but my dream university is Imperial.The subjects I do for the exam board AQA are Psychology,Science core+ad,RE and English lit+ lan.Then for EDEXCEL I do Maths and Health and Social care. For OCR I do Geography and Computing. But at our school we have to do this IT course called BCS. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTran38)
    Anyone here doing OCR Computing?
    Me😢

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Cerian and I'm currently 15. I'm 16 in December.

What are my hobbies?:
    I have loads of hobbies but my main ones are reading, using the internet (mainly social media sites), eating, listening to music and horse-riding.

How many GCSEs did I take?:
    I study 9 subjects, which obviously includes English Language & Literature, Mathematics, Double Science (Core & Additional) and Welsh Bacc, which is also cumpulsory in Wales. I also study full-course Welsh, Geography, I.C.T and History. Well, I techincally don't study Core Science anymore because I sat those exams in May.

Which exam boards?:
    English Language & Literature = WJEC.
    Mathematics = WJEC.
    Core & Additional Science = AQA.
    Welsh = WJEC.
    Geography = WJEC.
    I.C.T = WJEC.
    History = WJEC.

Am I ready for Year 11?:
    Nope, but I intend to aim for A's and B's in all my subjects and become a more motivated/hard-working student.

My dream career?:
    I aspire to be a forenisc pathologist.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.