Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the most horrific thing to happen to you in your life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can't say without anonymity. But I'm doing okay now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    Scotland, but the Order of Nuns had homes both in Ireland, Scotland, all over the world in fact, but originated in Ireland. Operated the Magdalen Laundries and Nazareth Houses.
    There is a former Magdalen laundry here in Newry. It re-opened as Cuan Mhuire Addiction Centre, known to everyone as Sister Consilios, after the nun, who I have met, who founded the centres all over Ireland. She is a wonderful, inspirational woman who has devoted her life to helping alcoholics get and stay sober. She knew my son's dad very well. Although he had his funeral in Mayo , the Newry Cuan Mhuire laid on a wonderful memorial service for him in Newry for all his friends who couldn't get to his funeral all the way in Mayo. Sister Consilio herself couldn't make it. I was told later on that she deliberately didn't go, as she felt very angry towards his family,who she felt could have done so much more to keep him alive, like getting him sectioned,etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    One of my worst nightmares - and there were many, I was brought up In an orphanage in the 50's and 60's. you just couldn't do anything right for these nuns. I played a wrong note on the violin and she chased me up the corridor, grabbed my hand and slammed it in the hinge of the door. Top of my finger was hanging off. Got locked in the chapel crypt for three days with the dead nuns.I was so traumatised, I didn't speak for six months. I was 8,
    Oh my good god! That's awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Oh my good god! That's awful.
    Ive never got over it. I've got a resit on Wednesday and when I'm stressed, I pick at the scar and it has bled today and it's very painful. I'm left handed so struggling to do notes today.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ive never got over it. I've got a resit on Wednesday and when I'm stressed, I pick at the scar and it has bled today and it's very painful. I'm left handed so struggling to do notes today.
    I wish you all the best of luck. Can absolutely see why that would be so distressing, how bloody awful. I'm also left handed. If you cannot write the notes, perhaps typing them up may help? If not - maybe have a read over things instead... that way you don't overexert yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    There is a former Magdalen laundry here in Newry. It re-opened as Cuan Mhuire Addiction Centre, known to everyone as Sister Consilios, after the nun, who I have met, who founded the centres all over Ireland. She is a wonderful, inspirational woman who has devoted her life to helping alcoholics get and stay sober. She knew my son's dad very well. Although he had his funeral in Mayo , the Newry Cuan Mhuire laid on a wonderful memorial service for him in Newry for all his friends who couldn't get to his funeral all the way in Mayo. Sister Consilio herself couldn't make it. I was told later on that she deliberately didn't go, as she felt very angry towards his family,who she felt could have done so much more to keep him alive, like getting him sectioned,etc.
    The Nazareth House nuns used to threaten us with the Magdalens. I was sent to one after I tried to tell a welfare officer that a priest had interfered with me. They kept me there for six months and then sent me back to Scotland but to a different Nazareth House.
    We are now waiting for the Scottish Government to open an inquiry into historical abuse in these homes. The British government has already opened on here in England.

ReputationRep:
    The Nazareth House nuns used to threaten us with the Magdalens. I was sent to one after I tried to tell a welfare officer that a priest had interfered with me. They kept me there for six months and then sent me back to Scotland but to a different Nazareth House.
    We are now waiting for the Scottish Government to open an inquiry into historical abuse in these homes. The British government has already opened on here in England.
    OMG. I read today online something about a Monk who is on trial atm who worked at a private school somewhere, for abusing boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    OMG. I read today online something about a Monk who is on trial atm who worked at a private school somewhere, for abusing boys.
    Yes, they're all coming out of the woodwork now. But these people have had their lives and the Catholic Church covered up for them and that's how they got away with it for so long.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they're all coming out of the woodwork now. But these people have had their lives and the Catholic Church covered up for them and that's how they got away with it for so long.
    I know. I'm a Catholic, as is i'd say everyone in Newry. But i'm very lapsed nowadays. I like to say my own private prayers for other people and for the world, as it makes me feel better and brings me comfort. I also like going into a Church while there is hardly anyone in there and just sitting and saying my own prayers and gathering my thoughts. Not been to Mass for years,and my son who is now 19 isn't into religion at all. My mum was English Protestant and my dad was Irish descent Catholic. [His dad was from County Offaly. I'm tracing the O'Brien [my surname] family tree atm.] BTW, I live in Newry but was born and brought up in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I never knew my parents. I was a foundling baby left on the steps of the children's home at 1 day old. There was no paperwork so had no name so the nuns named me. Never knew my name until I was 5or6. I was number 96, and that's what we were called by. Bad times indeed.

ReputationRep:
    I never knew my parents. I was a foundling baby left on the steps of the children's home at 1 day old. There was no paperwork so had no name so the nuns named me. Never knew my name until I was 5or6. I was number 96, and that's what we were called by. Bad times indeed.
    I have a friend who lives near me but is originally from Dublin. He was an orphan too. He never talks about it, and I never ask.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.