Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    Forget the lottery. It's completely irrelevant as a yard stick.

A change in the value of the 'cosmological constant' by as little as one part in 10 to the power of 120 would have rendered the universe life-prohibiting. Forget human life, that's all life. To put the enormity of that number in context, the number of seconds in the entire history of the universe is only 10 to the power of 17. This is wildly beyond winning the lottery perhaps a few million times in succession.
    Can you show evidence that the CC could be different as I cannot find it. Even if this was true (which it probably is, although Einstein went from a CC to calling it a mistake and now it seems evident because of the expansion of the universe due to Dark energy and matter) it does not mean that a variation is possible or that it is not just a consequence of infinite universes. You see if the value of the CC is a constant that cannot be changed then your point is moot, and you still have to explain the mechanism of god.

ReputationRep:
    like "WHOOOOSH" but without sound because vibrations didn't exist then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I honestly believe it is.

What evidence is there to show its real?.
    Try watching some Aaron Ra vids, Just look at the evidence instead of denying it, it is overwhelming, so much so that even the Catholic church have claimed it is indisputable. At least you will feel comfortable in the knowledge that TSR will allow you an agnostic view that makes your beliefs equal to science.

Yes folks TSR will defend your right to believe any old pony as long as you are nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    I wonder what you mean by "a beginning and an end", it is a very lax description. It is most likely that the universe came about by some natural process as it is evident that natural processes are driving it's evolution. Even if there was some unknowable magician who had a hand in the evolution of the universe, it could not be any god dreamt up by men, not if the creation rubbish of any religion is to be believed.
    What does it matter if you agree with the OP, you have hardly shown any evidence for your claim or even any evidence of this god.
    What I mean is that time was created, which indicates that it has a beginning and an end. Regardless of what people say, the truth is that God created the universe and we're subject to time as humans. I find it extremely difficult to believe we somehow appeared here by a random process as well as the other living creatures of the world. Creation itself screams of a mastermind, even the way a baby is protected in the womb of the mother, and how the body knows to defend itself when something abnormal occurs. Another example, is a watch. If it was dismantled, and placed on the ground, it wouldn't randomly assemble itself; a designer would put it together correctly in order to function properly.

The Bible states that the heavens and the Earth was created by God and even describes the state in the first book and chapter: Genesis Chapter 1.

Just because we cannot see God and even some who deny His existence, doesn't, in anyway affect the fact that He is there - we can feel His presence if there is a true desire, just like you can't see the wind but feel it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josie_7)
    What I mean is that time was created, which indicates that it has a beginning and an end. Regardless of what people say, the truth is that God created the universe and we're subject to time as humans. I find it extremely difficult to believe we somehow appeared here by a random process as well as the other living creatures of the world. Creation itself screams of a mastermind, even the way a baby is protected in the womb of the mother, and how the body knows to defend itself when something abnormal occurs. Another example, is a watch. If it was dismantled, and placed on the ground, it wouldn't randomly assemble itself; a designer would put it together correctly in order to function properly.

The Bible states that the heavens and the Earth was created by God and even describes the state in the first book and chapter: Genesis Chapter 1.

Just because we cannot see God and even some who deny His existence, doesn't, in anyway affect the fact that He is there - we can feel His presence if there is a true desire, just like you can't see the wind but feel it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with you, god definitely did it. God created everything, there is no other explanation for life the Universe and everything. He not only created all this beautiful world, he gave us cancers, diseases and mental illness, some people ask why, that is obvious, we need to be punished before we are sent to hell or saved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I honestly believe it is.

What evidence is there to show its real?.
    quite a lot tbh. Our ancestors used to be apes can you believe it? Amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, god definitely did it. God created everything, there is no other explanation for life the Universe and everything. He not only created all this beautiful world, he gave us cancers, diseases and mental illness, some people ask why, that is obvious, we need to be punished before we are sent to hell or saved.
    Well, in actual reality, God created this universe, the world and the wonders of it, BUT us humans made the choice to not obey God's command to NOT eat of the tree of knowledge (as described in Genesis chapters 2 & 3)

So we can't blame God for our own actions, that is unfair to do so as God gave us free will - He doesn't impose anything on us, we have decisions to make. Unfortunately as sin entered the world, so did all these horrible things such as illness, crime etc. God didn't 'give' those things to us, we brought it upon ourselves and so that's why Jesus Christ came along to rescue us and bring us back from where we've fallen from. God is a good Father, even choosing to save us in our wickedness - imagine someone standing in your place for a crime you committed and should be punished for ?

Some of the situations we go through are part of the human experience, but God/Jesus wants to save us from being separated from Himself.

It's a choice we all have to make, whether we will believe and receive Him or not because He's coming back soon.
    God bless 🙏🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well, in actual reality, God created this world and the wonders of it, BUT us humans made the choice to not obey God's command to NOT eat of the tree of knowledge (as described in Genesis chapters 2 & 3)

So we can't blame God for our own actions, that is unfair to do so as God gave us free will - He doesn't impose anything on us, we have decisions to make. Unfortunately as sin entered the world, so did all these horrible things such as illness, crime etc. God didn't 'give' those things to us, we brought it upon ourselves and so that's why Jesus Christ came along to rescue us and bring us back from where we've fallen from. God is a good Father, even choosing to save us in our wickedness - imagine someone standing in your place for a crime you committed and should be punished for ?

Some of the situations we go through are part of the human experience, but God/Jesus wants to save us from being separated from Himself.

It's a choice we all have to make, whether we will believe and receive Him or not because He's coming back soon.
    God bless 🙏🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree, we just have to put our faith in Jesus, why would he cause us any harm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RomeoSantos)
    quite a lot tbh. Our ancestors used to be apes can you believe it? Amazing.
    No monkeys are monkeys, why do you think we are monkeys, I suppose next we will be fish. Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    This was really interesting - have you read John Lennox's 'Has Science buried God'? If you haven't you'll love it - he's Oxford professor of Maths and Philosophy of Science and it's a great read

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll see if I can pick it up second hand somewhere. Unfortunately, my reading list is as long as my arm at the moment.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Plus firing squads often use fake bullets, although they don't tell the shooters which one has the fake bullets.
    I must pick you up on this.
    A trained soldier would know the difference between live and blank ammunition.

ReputationRep:
    No monkeys are monkeys, why do you think we are monkeys, I suppose next we will be fish. Ridiculous.
    We are not monkeys we are apes.
    We share a common ancestor with the other apes.
    The foetus in the womb remarkably shows a lot of fish properties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Well atoms aren't the smallest particles....by a looooooonnngggg way
    I believe that dubious honour goes to Dozyrosie's brain.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in actual reality, God created this universe, the world and the wonders of it, BUT us humans made the choice to not obey God's command to NOT eat of the tree of knowledge (as described in Genesis chapters 2 & 3)

God bless 🙏🏿

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actual means fairy tale?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I believe that dubious honour goes to Dozyrosie's brain.
    Bahaha

I started reading some dozyrosie and quickly lost the will...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But believing in a benevolent "father" for whom there is 0 evidence other than self-perpetuating blind faith (i.e. people like you think "miracles" are proof of God) is plausible?

But anyway, your posts are actually a gold mine. They exemplify exactly why God exists - people are scared of the unknown and God is a great get out of jail free card. Don't understand something - God.

ReputationRep:
    If evidence for God is what science can not yet fully explain, then the evidence for God is an ever-decreasing pocket of scientific ignorance. 200 years ago the origin of life was unknown to science, now we can trace back all life on Earth to a single organism which was produced by natural processes, nothing mystic required. Give it another 200 years for the hypotheses for the origin of the universe to develop further, and we could well see String Theory fully describing how it is possible for something to be produced from nothing without the need of a deity, putting a decisive end to the debate on the existence of God.

ReputationRep:
    This view is absolutely untenable unless you are a young earth creationist.

(Original post by mphysical)
    I must pick you up on this.
    A trained soldier would know the difference between live and blank ammunition.
    Aren't the dummy bullets designed so as to best mimic a normal bullet? One BBC article says:

"One gun was loaded with a dummy - probably wax - bullet, which is said to deliver the same recoil as a live round."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10254279

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    who created God? Gods God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    But believing in a benevolent "father" for whom there is 0 evidence other than self-perpetuating blind faith (i.e. people like you think "miracles" are proof of God) is plausible?

But anyway, your posts are actually a gold mine. They exemplify exactly why God exists - people are scared of the unknown and God is a great get out of jail free card. Don't understand something - God.
    I wouldn't call it blind faith, in your context, if you come to your own personal conclusion - the evidence for God is clear, it's up to one whether they want to accept or reject, that's one's own decision.

God exists because He IS, He is who He says He is and it's not to use as a jail card cos God knows every person's intentions even when one tries to justify it inside themselves - you can't use God and think He's oblivious to it.

In Romans 1:20, we are told 'For His invisible attributes, namely, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.'

Miracles show God's power,& just in the same way Jesus performed them (since He is God), people didn't believe regardless - like I said, everyone has their own decision and choice to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.