Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Apart from law, banking, asset management, software engineering at a big tech firm, consulting, it really does not matter what university you go to.
    And politics, journalism, consulting, if you want to work abroad, etc.

Software engineering, however, is much less dependent on university prestige.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Josb)
    And politics, journalism, consulting, if you want to work abroad, etc.

Software engineering, however, is much less dependent on university prestige.
    Depends on the type of company

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    The state of this country makes me extremely upset. Course I don't blame him entirely; I don't know enough about him and his role and his true ability to determine his own actions etc., and he was as you say playing the 'cards' he had been dealt (a poor one).

I guess like the health system, the problem is principally that of massive under-funding (to allow privatisation?). Because apparently people aren't worth investing in.

Rubbish country we live in.
    That is the problem that we have in the UK with the Conservative Party. Gove was just an agent like Jeremy Hunt. Many people act naive on the fundamental doctrine of the Tory Party.

In the 1980's, Margaret Tatcher was in charge of one of the most ruthless state restructuring programmes in the 20th Century. You only have to go up North to see the devastation that still exists up to this day.

Maybe change was needed, but not in the way or scale that it was done, where many people have suffered and still suffering stagnation plus intergenerational poverty.

People forgot about it and voted in Camron with his gang, who believes that he is the spiritual son of Tatcher and should continue from where she stopped.

The major problem with UK is the starvation of investment. The government believes in an austerity programme that clearly does not work, now they seem to have slightly abandoned it because of Brexit.

As you have rightly pointed out there is significant need for investment in transport, security, health care, education and so on. However, true investment won't happen without a Labour Government to support real change and help everyone.

Before people start attacking me on Corbyn or the Labour Party causing the 2008 financial crisis that started in the US, I will just leave it here and beg everyone to think carefully and vote Labour to save us all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    That is the problem that we have in the UK with the Conservative Party. Gove was just an agent like Jeremy Hunt. Many people act naive on the fundamental doctrine of the Tory Party.

In the 1980's, Margaret Tatcher was in charge of one of the most ruthless state restructuring programmes in the 20th Century. You only have to go up North to see the devastation that still exists up to this day.

Maybe change was needed, but not in the way or scale that it was done, where many people have suffered and still suffering stagnation plus intergenerational poverty.

People forgot about it and voted in Camron with his gang, who believes that he is the spiritual son of Tatcher and should continue from where she stopped.

The major problem with UK is the starvation of investment. The government believes in an austerity programme that clearly does not work, now they seem to have slightly abandoned it because of Brexit.

As you have rightly pointed out there is significant need for investment in transport, security, health care, education and so on. However, true investment won't happen without a Labour Government to support real change and help everyone.

Before people start attacking me on Corbyn or the Labour Party causing the 2008 financial crisis that started in the US, I will just leave it here and beg everyone to think carefully and vote Labour to save us all.
    Thanks for the insightful response

ReputationRep:
    Essex all the way love working at Google. Thank you Essex!!!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by the IT MAN)
    Essex all the way love working at Google. Thank you Essex!!!!
    Nice. Google is apparently one of the best companies to work for.

ReputationRep:
    The major problem with UK is the starvation of investment. The government believes in an austerity programme that clearly does not work, now they seem to have slightly abandoned it because of Brexit. .

HS2: £80bn
    Heathrow's 3rd runway: £18bn
    Hinkley Point power station: £20bn
    London’s Crossrail Two: £32bn

You can't say the Tories haven't used public money to invest. You can however say that they don't invest above London.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    HS2: £80bn
    Heathrow's 3rd runway: £18bn
    Hinkley Point power station: £20bn
    London’s Crossrail Two: £32bn

You can't say the Tories haven't used public money to invest. You can however say that they don't invest above London.
    Fair enough. The investment isn't in the most deprived places, where there is desperate need for it.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. The investment isn't in the most deprived places, where there is desperate need for it.
    And HS2 is utterly pointless.

Read this great article if you have the time: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...refuses-to-die
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    And HS2 is utterly pointless.

Read this great article if you have the time: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...refuses-to-die
    I agree. Imagine the boost 80 Billion will give to poor towns around the country.

If councils ask for money for schools and hospitals, the Government will say that the country is under an austerity programme then throw 80 billion at a dead project.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    Excuse me why Spanish? Plenty of other countries host hot women
    Literally no one can say anything without offending somebody these days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit concerned that I should be considering 'prestige' in my application...

I just got my A level results and am going to apply to do history of art at uni (don't bother telling me its a waste of a degree as I want a top career directly related and will probably go on to do a Masters). However i'm not interested in the top unis for this subject in my league (got A*AA): UCL (too close to home), courtauld institute (not quite the uni experience and expensive) and St Andrews (isolated area) but I'm worried i'm wasting an opportunity to potentially get into one of these and that they'd be more favourable to employers?
    Instead i'm thinking about Edinburgh, Birmingham and Glasgow
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LillyB14)
    I'm a bit concerned that I should be considering 'prestige' in my application...

I just got my A level results and am going to apply to do history of art at uni (don't bother telling me its a waste of a degree as I want a top career directly related and will probably go on to do a Masters). However i'm not interested in the top unis for this subject in my league (got A*AA): UCL (too close to home), courtauld institute (not quite the uni experience and expensive) and St Andrews (isolated area) but I'm worried i'm wasting an opportunity to potentially get into one of these and that they'd be more favourable to employers?
    Eh? Those are all great universities..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Imagine the boost 80 Billion will give to poor towns around the country.

If councils ask for money for schools and hospitals, the Government will say that the country is under an austerity programme then throw 80 billion at a dead project.
    I said elsewhere that 80 billion would be enough to build a subway system in Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow. That would solve the congestion of these cities and create alternative hubs to London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillyB14)

You're not exactly going to ex polys...

I suggest to take a look at the museums of these universities/cities, as it would be easier for you to get work experience there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursey_nurse)
    Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?
    You're going to get a lot of differing answers, but the only honest answer is:

It depends.

If you want to cultivate powerful contacts, Oxbridge is your best bet. If research is your goal, aim for a uni that does internationally renowned research in your field. If you're concerned about teaching quality, look for low class sizes and decent student satisfaction results.

If you're planning on working internationally, most universities will not be known internationally. Those that are will carry more weight than those that aren't.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Josb)
    I said elsewhere that 80 billion would be enough to build a subway system in Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow. That would solve the congestion of these cities and create alternative hubs to London.
    That is true. I guess it is about economic interests and some people don't want the attention to move away from London by investing in cities like Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow or Birmingham.

2020 should be Labour's year to return and fix the problems left by the Tory Government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman786)
    Well do you want a mediocre girlfriend Or a beautiful, curvy, spanish woman who calls u daddy? Both are girls at the end of the day.

Just a simple analogy to put things into perspective.
    Si papi.

How prestige is Durham ?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by blessed107)
    How prestige is Durham ?
    lol 'preeesteeeeeeeeejjjj'. But seriously, it's a solid university no point asking how prestigious it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.