Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by eden3)
    I would prefer to discuss this over PM's if that is okay with you?

I promise not to reveal your identity to anyone but if you don't want to I understand.
    Also interested

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I worked hard and didn't get BBB. I was in clearing and ****ing devastated I thought everything went to ****. I then got into Aberdeen (eventually) but also got an offer from my insurance choice after doing well in my first year of university. A level type rigid learning just didn't work for me and so many others. You're not a failure, you've gotten into a good university and I completely take on board that it's not what you wanted. But there are always positives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captivated)
    I worked hard and didn't get BBB. I was in clearing and ****ing devastated I thought everything went to ****. I then got into Aberdeen (eventually) but also got an offer from my insurance choice after doing well in my first year of university. A level type rigid learning just didn't work for me and so many others. You're not a failure, you've gotten into a good university and I completely take on board that it's not what you wanted. But there are always positives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've come to realise this now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Princepieman
    @ OP of this thread

So would you guys like me to explain how I transferred unis this year? (going to my new one next month, just finished first year). I am more than happy to shoot you guys PM's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I've come to realise this now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm so sorry. I went through hell and back through clearing so if you want to talk, PMs are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by eden3)
    Princepieman
    @ OP of this thread

So would you guys like me to explain how I transferred unis this year? (going to my new one next month, just finished first year). I am more than happy to shoot you guys PM's.
    Yeah, would appreciate a break down of how you got a tutor on board for a reference, whether the a levels you had came into play or not, and what the requirements are to transfer (i've heard courses need to line up almost exactly?). Also the whole UCAS process too.

Cheers for this.*

ReputationRep:
    Get a bloody sense of perspective child!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Captivated)
    I'm so sorry. I went through hell and back through clearing so if you want to talk, PMs are open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aha, it's fine! I've managed to get a place at an alright uni, so can't complain too much really.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Aha, it's fine! I've managed to get a place at an alright uni, so can't complain too much really.*
    It's okay to complain. Despite getting in to a good university, not getting my firm still hurts a looottt.

Btw, I saw your post about transferring and it honestly depends on the university. When I asked my firm if I could transfer there, they still wanted my A levels to match their requirement despite the fact that I was just shy of a first in my first year. My insurance, however, just wanted my university grades so they gave me an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
    My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
    Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.
    Don't hate yourself because you're worth so much more than results. You said it yourself: there were other circumstances at the time and maybe you were being a bit lazy but maybe not. Maybe you just were TIRED. We're all human and this idea about life being a linear progress that has to go in one direction is nonsense. Life is tiring, and fing tough at times, and oh so complicated. So what that for the time being it's not worked out exactly as you expected? That's hard. Not knowing what will happen is hard too. The best chance you can give yourself if by valuing yourself and being open to possibilities and prepared for what will come. I think that the challenges you've already faced have helped prepare you because you know what frustration and perseverance and dusting yourself down is all about. Not everyone knows that. Some people don't realise until quite late in life and then they can get in some very sticky situations. Decide what you to do next and go for it!

TL;DR Life if full of tough **** and surprises but there can be silver linings. Going through this now is actually 'character building'. You've found out that life doesn't just go from A to B to C and so on and that only makes you stronger. What you achieve is down to your determination, your responses and understanding of situations and also other random **** you don't control. Just keep on coming on brother

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, I've seen you on loads of the IB threads that I've read. I really did think that I would get into LSE and then go into investment banking (my degree at LSE was econ). Instead, I ****ed up and have ended up doing econ at Aston. You of all people should know that I have no hope of breaking into investment banking with my A level grades and through the fact that I attend Aston. My only hope now is to do a masters at a top uni which I really won't be able to afford. So there goes my career plan
    Not trying to call you a liar or anything, but LSE Econ is A*AA not AAA (and usually at least A*AAA since Further Maths is heavily recommended as a 4th subject)

Edit: just saw u had mitigating circumstances that may have affected your offer, my bad

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm not happy. Far from it. I think about all the things that I've done wrong like being lazy, my dads death and wasting time on the wrong people and just break down. Knowing that I had an offer from a top uni and only managed to get into a uni which isn't even a russell group uni stings so bad. Like what if I end up unemployed? I'm such a **** up

Alot of people grieve in different ways - but you let it effect your ability to get the grades you needed and get on with the life you aspired to live.

Very cliche indeed I apologise about that also.

You're going to university m8 a that's all that matters since that is an achievement in itself.

ReputationRep:
    uni is over rated

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.