The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Potentially stupid question:

Can I put down Open Days in the work experience section of applications?

I found an article in which an NRF grad recruiter says that Open Days do count as work experience, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I would mention open days. But list all open days as one piece of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOHHammie)

I found an article in which an NRF grad recruiter says that Open Days do count as work experience, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

Cheers
    Depends on your other work experience. If you have got other legal work experience or significant part time work, these should be prioritised.

You can always group them together and list it as "Open Days - Various Firms: x date to y date"

Main thing with open days is not to list the details that are obvious (eg met trainees, spoke to partners, listened to graduate recruitment; found out about life in a commercial law firm). You can pretty much just say you attended them with no detail and it usually works better than explaining what you did on the day(s).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Yeah 100% put them on your applications.

I always added one sentence highlighting something I had taken away from the day which links to the firm I'm applying for e.g. How international firms run a global deal or how important sector focus is etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, for those applying for PWC, I'm having issues with the online system i.e. I can't even access it. Has anyone else had this problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conzy210)
    Repped.

I also have secured a TC this year, with Slaughters, but I'll also be about on this thread if anyone has any questions. I also completed a Vacation Scheme at Linklaters, and turned down a scheme at Hogan Lovells. Much like the above poster I'm very grateful to users of TSR throughout the years, so would like to help if possible.
    Congrats! Could I ask why you opted for Slaughters instead of Links or Hogan Lovells? Were you on their vac scheme as well?

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Does anyone seem to have an idea of what Herbert Smith Freehils alevel requirements are?

I can't seem to find any information on their website/other legal career websites other than a 2:1 requirement... Unless I'm not looking properly.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxblue)
    Hi All,

Does anyone seem to have an idea of what Herbert Smith Freehils alevel requirements are?

I can't seem to find any information on their website/other legal career websites other than a 2:1 requirement... Unless I'm not looking properly.

Thanks in advance.
    They've removed them as I think they are moving towards a system where a levels will be one part rather than a set in stone requirement of the application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
    I don't think there is an A-Level requirement *

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
    The firms that are using the contextualised recruitment system like HSF are tend to not have a set A-level requirement. The system will just compare your A-levels to those in your cohort at school/within your postcode and they will make a judgement on them from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!!! Good luck with your applications!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone offer a hand on the 'why commercial law' question? It's the only one I have trouble articulating within 250 words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -TheSpecialOne-)
    Can anyone offer a hand on the 'why commercial law' question? It's the only one I have trouble articulating within 250 words
    This should be the easiest question of them all. If there is a limited word count, focus on a smaller number of points and prioritise the most important to you as to why you have chosen this career path. Cut the waffle and filler words, plus don't repeat detail put elsewhere in your application (eg explaining previous work experience) and you should easily get it into 250 words.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a long shot but is anybody willing to provide an example of a successful Jones day cover letter?

Not entirely sure if my letter is too short! Following a conversation with recruiters at the firm, short and punchy is encouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fashgal)
    Bit of a long shot but is anybody willing to provide an example of a successful Jones day cover letter?

Not entirely sure if my letter is too short! Following a conversation with recruiters at the firm, short and punchy is encouraged.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They say max 300 words, so generally that's what we should be aiming for.

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    Hey guys,One question re Jones Day - in the extra curricular activities section, would it be prudent to use bullet-points?It's only 100 words and I'm finding it considerably difficult to write a coherent text.
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soph497)
    Hey, congrats on your offer! NRF is one of my top choices and I'll be applying for their winter vac in a few weeks. If I get to interview I may well pick your brains if that would be ok!
    Yeah you're more than welcome!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    To add to what has already been said regarding open days they are a great way to show a recruiter you really have thought about law.

I like to particularly detail a talk about an area of law that the firm gave that interested me and then back that up with some further evidence of independent research in that area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Just completed the BLP Verbal Analysis test, any ideas on how long they will take to tell me the outcome?
    Hey, how did you find the BLP test? I'm sitting mine tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FeminineEminem)
    Hey, how did you find the BLP test? I'm sitting mine tonight.
    Hi, I felt it went well tbh and the format was much the same as the verbal analysis tests you can find online (free ones on saville consulting and another site, there was also an Australian site). Timing wise you should be okay and if you get most of the practice questions right I think you will be able to score well in it. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    Hi, I felt it went well tbh and the format was much the same as the verbal analysis tests you can find online (free ones on saville consulting and another site, there was also an Australian site). Timing wise you should be okay and if you get most of the practice questions right I think you will be able to score well in it. Good luck!
    Haha I literally just finished about 30 seconds ago, but thanks anyway! I thought it was alright, it's a little annoying that they didn't give any indication as to how long it will be before we hear back (if we hear back at all), but oh well.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.