Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would be your reaction if your son came out as gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Where are you getting this "data" from?
    it's approximate

ReputationRep:
    To be completely honest I would be mortified, especially if he wasan only child. I don'twant to see my family blood line and my faamilies name snuffed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamuna10)
    First - human is no animal. It's a superior being but inferior to other beings we don't know yet but can sense.

second - animals aren't homosexual, they just have a special instinct to protect little cubs. If you place two male lions in a cage together with a cub, they will take care of it. It doesn't mean they're homo, it means they're sane.

third - I assume you haven't heard about Overtone's Window. Look it up. It shows that even cannibalism can be justified and counted normal if authorities and politicians act properly.

fourth - homosexuality was developed to stop humans from bearing too many children, but as gay start having children with women still and then raise them with men, authorities will start developing a plan to stop gay propaganda - a failed project.
    You're an absolute moron with bigoted views that are extremely flawed.

FYI you can get homosexual dogs, they have been known to 'attempt' mounting other males only to 'settle' for the back end. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    First - human is no animal. It's a superior being but inferior to other beings we don't know yet but can sense.
    Compares a human's eye to an eagle's eye. The eagle has a far superior eye. Clearly humans are not superior in all respects.

second - animals aren't homosexual, they just have a special instinct to protect little cubs. If you place two male lions in a cage together with a cub, they will take care of it. It doesn't mean they're homo, it means they're sane.
    What a load of rubbish. Bonobos are one of our closest relatives in the animal kingdom and also one of the most intelligent. Scientists have observed bonobos in their natural habitat in bonobo communities and have documented countless examples of homoerotic behaviour being displayed by bonobos. Mutual masturbation among male bonobos for example is very common.

fourth - homosexuality was developed to stop humans from bearing too many children, but as gay start having children with women still and then raise them with men, authorities will start developing a plan to stop gay propaganda - a failed project.
    I don't know where you got this conspiracy theory from. Scientists have proposed the Gay Uncle theory to explain a possible (though yet unknown) genetic cause behind homosexuality. A gay uncle would help their sister with the parenting of their child would help to increase the chance of the child surviving and passing on their genes.

(Original post by #ChaosKass)
    I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.
    Ah, so you would opt for child abuse? Maybe you should focus on sorting out your own morals first.

ReputationRep:
    The bible is an extremely flawed argument in the terms of homosexuality, if you follow everything the bible teaches then I'd be extremely worried....

Scholar Nisan Rubin writes:
    “Grooms could marry at the age of 18-20 (or older) with a young girl, twelve years old, who had “reached puberty.”… The ideal was to marry off girls while still minors, since they constituted an economic burden…” (Rubin, N. (2008). Time and Life Cycle in Talmud and Midrash. Brighton, Massachusetts: Academic Studies Press. p. 16)

ReputationRep:

third - I assume you haven't heard about Overtone's Window. Look it up. It shows that even cannibalism can be justified and counted normal if authorities and politicians act properly.

1. A human is a mammal, and therefore is an animal. I'm really getting a radical Christian vibe from you now.
    2. Explain homosexual relationships between dogs, cats, gorillas, the list is literally endless. I'm not talking about cubs, I'm talking about sexual attraction and interaction between animals of the same sex. It happens. Anal sex between animals of the same gender, mutual masturbation, oral sex between animals of the same gender. The list goes on, as the previous poster stated.
    3. I have no words for that. I have literally zero idea of what you're trying to imply at the moment.
    4. Oh god, I think my sides have split. So how do you propose homosexuality was "developed"? It sounds more like a tin foil hat theory than a rational argument. You seemed to have a very altered perception of reality, and I'm beginning to suspect you're trolling. Define "gay propaganda". I'm sure you'd feel differently if you were homosexual, and you saw people making laughable statements such as yours. The government is not plotting against you, and they do not have mind control powers like you are inferring. That is just ridiculous.
    it's approximate
    So... you made it up? Thought so.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I swear the next question, in this series you've got going on, is going to be 'What if your son came out as a furry?'

And, in answer to your question, I'd support them whatever.

ReputationRep:
    it is exactly a decision. Very few, 1 out of 5mil are actually born with biological disease like that. Other cases are completely mental
    Where's your source? Where did you get this '1 in 5 million' statistic from? I'm curious.

What I learnt in school GCSE biology lessons and through the Internet was that homosexuality is a complex mix of biological and environmental factors, so not a conscious choice itself but may be influenced by one's upbringing and perhaps some genetic factors (although the specific gay gene has not been found, there have been studies which have shown that gay men share certain physical characteristics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    To be completely honest I would be mortified, especially if he wasan only child. I don'twant to see my family blood line and my faamilies name snuffed out.
    this is also what Neanderthalians used to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I guess you would also be mortified to have a daughter too, as they tend not to continue their fathers family name? And if your son was infertile, you would hold them accountable for not being able to continue your family blood line, even though it is not their fault they cannot reproduce?

Interestingly though, gay people can still have children and can still raise children. Your son being gay does not preclude you from having grandchildren who could carry on the family blood line or family name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Where's your source? Where did you get this '1 in 5 million' statistic from? I'm curious..
    probably, a fortune cookie

ReputationRep:
    Been there, don't know why people get so worked up about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I guess you would also be mortified to have a daughter too, as they tend not to continue their fathers family name? And if your son was infertile, you would hold them accountable for not being able to continue your family blood line, even though it is not their fault they cannot reproduce?

Interestingly though, gay people can still have children and can still raise children. Your son being gay does not preclude you from having grandchildren who could carry on the family blood line or family name.
    Absolute hogwash. A daughter does carry on your family bloodline... And how exactly do gay people have children? Hiring a lady to sell you her son (surrogacy) is both greatly immoral, by denying the child the right to have a mother and experience natural bonding, but it is an affront to the nature of motherhood.

ReputationRep:
    I'd make sure he wasn't feeling worried or stressed about it, and let him know I fully support him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    I would prepare myself to kick the arse of any bully who comes his way.
    What if I was the bully?

ReputationRep:
    I would support him unconditionally. Any child of mine would know from an early age that I will accept them regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. Honestly, I doubt that a child of mine would have any issue coming out to me, because I'm LGBT and supportive of all parts of the queer community.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    I would be disappointed but I would try and bring him back to faith in Christ. We are all sinners, gay or not, and are equally awful in God's eyes so I'm not going to pretend that I'm any better than him.

Why is it a sin? Who does it hurt? Perhaps you should try using that collection of specially adapted cells evolved over billions of years called a brain instead of looking in some ancient book.Attitudes like yours contribute directly to suicides which Id say is the greater sin here to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazuhira)
    Absolute hogwash. A daughter does carry on your family bloodline... And how exactly do gay people have children? Hiring a lady to sell you her son (surrogacy) is both greatly immoral, by denying the child the right to have a mother and experience natural bonding, but it is an affront to the nature of motherhood.
    Or you could do a great thing and adopt a child that is unwanted or was taken away from a toxic environment, bringing them into a loving family??

Wait no! That would be far too unselfish ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kazuhira)
    Your parents must be disappointed to have a bigot in the family.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't really care. I'd still love them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.