Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    And the one before you started uni?
    Did you have connections already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    just completed and converted my summer internship into a ft position.

if anyone has any questions, i'd be happy to answer
    Does it matter which degree you have and what uni you go to?? thanks in advance
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    Was through a sixth form work experience/networking scheme run in London, iirc. One of: rare/seo/city-link/intouni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsFine)
    no, assisted through the brokerage citylink programme

(Original post by Ze Witcher)
    Does it matter which degree you have and what uni you go to?? thanks in advance
    degree, not particulrly

uni moreso yes

that being said the majority of people had finance/economics backgrounds

ReputationRep:
    no, assisted through the brokerage citylink programme

degree, not particulrly

uni moreso yes

that being said the majority of people had finance/economics backgrounds
    Thanks for answering!

I've already seen the Target Uni's in the UK for IB but was wondering in your honest opinion what sorts of Uni's were IB firms, mainly yours, were focused on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for answering!

I've already seen the Target Uni's in the UK for IB but was wondering in your honest opinion what sorts of Uni's were IB firms, mainly yours, were focused on.
    They would be interested (read: put the most resources into) in the 'target unis in the UK' as you put it..

+ european targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for answering!

oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    had 3, one before i started uni
    :O How do I get one of these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    :O How do I get one of these?
    brokerage citilink

ReputationRep:
    debt or equity, and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    debt or equity, and why?
    depends on a number of things...

what are you trying to achieve? (LBO/capital raising/new issuance)
    what is your credit rating profile?
    what are your ratios i.e interest coverage / leverage / netdebt/EBITDA
    have you any outstanding debt covenants that will be breached?
    what's your company beta (which affects CAPM factoring into the cost of debt)?
    what's your debt maturity profile?
    what's the dividends payout ratio in your industry?
    where is your company in the industry lifecycle? growth/mature blah blah blah..
    what's the market conditions like for the two types of product (receptive, apprehensive?)

if the answer was clear cut, there would only be one option... a combinantion of the two would probably work best but again.. you have to ask some preliminary questions for an answer that would yield some good advice.

ReputationRep:
    depends on a number of things...

what are you trying to achieve? (LBO/capital raising/new issuance)
    what is your credit rating profile?
    what are your ratios i.e interest coverage / leverage / netdebt/EBITDA
    have you any outstanding debt covenants that will be breached?
    what's your company beta (which affects CAPM factoring into the cost of debt)?
    what's your debt maturity profile?
    what's the dividends payout ratio in your industry?
    where is your company in the industry lifecycle? growth/mature blah blah blah..
    what's the market conditions like for the two types of product (receptive, apprehensive?)

if the answer was clear cut, there would only be one option... a combinantion of the two would probably work best but again.. you have to ask some preliminary questions for an answer that would yield some good advice.
    my bad, meant to ask what is your preference personally or which do you prefer working in/with, debt or equity

(are these the sort of questions/knowledge we should know too in interviews?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makrxx)
    my bad, meant to ask what is your preference personally or which do you prefer working in/with, debt or equity

(are these the sort of questions/knowledge we should know too in interviews?)
    haha, don't really have a preference, but if i had to choose probably debt

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Equity Research, is there more/tougher competition for the IBD compared to research and S&T? Also did you find that they allocated more places for IBD to adjust to the popularity in applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante991)
    I'm applying for Equity Research, is there more/tougher competition for the IBD compared to research and S&T? Also did you find that they allocated more places for IBD to adjust to the popularity in applications?
    i haven't a clue man.. everything is pretty competitive, i don't think it would matter as to how much more competitive given the stats are already quite unfavourable

no, banks aren't a charity, they will only allocate based on business needs

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know whats going on with Barclays App? Is there somewhere you upload a CV or CL in initial stages? Ive somehow submitted but not provided my CV or anything really.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hobes1)
    Anyone know whats going on with Barclays App? Is there somewhere you upload a CV or CL in initial stages? Ive somehow submitted but not provided my CV or anything really.
    Read the summer thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Hobes1)
    Also:
    http://joinus.barclays.com/emea/appl...and-selection/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey peeps,
    I'm a student at Warwick University and I'm getting paid by a company to headhunt for students who are smart, to put it bluntly.
    If you think you go to a good university and have a good CV, you'll most likely get a few interviews.
    Some of the companies you will be headhunted for are:
    -The Big 4
    -Baillie Gifford
    -Schroders
    -Reckitt Benckiser
    -M&G Investments
    -L-3 TRL
    If you're interested to get internship/graduate placement, or to generally kick start your career, drop me a message for any questions you may have regarding it.
    If you're feeling particularly brave and you are confident with yourself/your university's stature, sign up http://bit.ly/2aaPEXVwith the referral code: WAR MARA.
    I get paid when you sign up and you get a job (as long as you're at a decent uni) so I think thats a win-win.

Cheers, and happy hunting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moddapukka)
    Hey peeps,
    I'm a student at Warwick University and I'm getting paid by a company to headhunt for students who are smart, to put it bluntly.
    If you think you go to a good university and have a good CV, you'll most likely get a few interviews.
    Some of the companies you will be headhunted for are:
    -The Big 4
    -Baillie Gifford
    -Schroders
    -Reckitt Benckiser
    -M&G Investments
    -L-3 TRL
    If you're interested to get internship/graduate placement, or to generally kick start your career, drop me a message for any questions you may have regarding it.
    If you're feeling particularly brave and you are confident with yourself/your university's stature, sign up http://bit.ly/2aaPEXVwith the referral code: WAR MARA.
    I get paid when you sign up and you get a job (as long as you're at a decent uni) so I think thats a win-win.

Cheers, and happy hunting!
    no

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.