Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

engineers > scientists > doctors > lawyers > everyone else Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NPWorld)
    You've mentioned that you never needed a doctor. But what about others who have had accidents, face critical illnesses etc ? Are doctors really 'unnecessary' ?
    Serious accidents and deadly illnesses are actually pretty rare in people in people who still have a lot of natural life expectancy left. The vast majority of people are not kept alive by the intervention of doctors, they would have pretty much the same chance of living to 70 or 80 years old even without any medical care.

Medicine extends the life of dying people by a small amount and it can help manage some chronic conditions, although usually not very well.

The biggest gains to public health have been due to sanitation which is primarily what eliminated infection disease as a major cause of death. Sanitation is the creation of engineers and accountants.

Ironically hospitals have become points of anti-sanitation, breeding grounds for deadly treatment-resistant diseases coupled with places they can easily spread to a large pool of sick and healthy people. It is not clear to me that hospitals will be a net positive for public health in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    Almost every single profession and job has a very important role in society.
    Just think of the this: if garbage collectors suddenly disappeared we'd have a shitload of trash in every corner and probably get really nasty diseases as well.
    Now if you also take doctors out of the equation you'd probably die within a few years.
    Everyone contributes something to society so stop being a stuck up prick.
    Rubbish. Without trash collectors we would be burying or burning stuff in our gardens and without doctors we might die at 75 instead of 81.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I would replace doctors with accountants.
    a doctor is the most ethical of professions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rehmanator)
    a doctor is the most ethical of professions.
    The priesthood is the most holy of professions, but priests are useless. Doctors are a rough secular equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum > your dad > your sister > your little brother > your baby cousin > your pet ferret >............... you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carmenh)
    I'm not going to sit here and argue about my principles, so I'll just leave you with a question. What makes a murderer? As far as I'm concerned, it's someone who takes lives. Soldiers do this too. They take innocent lives; they take guilty lives, but whatever way you want to spin it, the army is responsible for murder. No war has ever kept people safe, and I'm sure you're going to fling your archaic ideas of what 'keeping people safe' means at me (I bet you were just about to tell me how I'd be speaking German if it wasn't for the army), but the fact of the matter is, war has only ever killed people. I also don't have a flying ****ing clue what going to Mosul would do for me, because no matter where I go I won't be able to escape idiots like you who think killing people can come even near to safe. It shocks me how people can be so nonchalant about death. Even if you don't care about smiting thousands of lives, you should at least see what a drain on our resources war is, all for **** all.
    But what you're not seeing, is we're not just talking about war... What about the typhoons that fend off other countries aerial advances? Or the frigates that patrol tne waters 24/7? Or the people who deliver aid to civilians? They're also soldiers.
    Also... Very few soldiers are actually murderers, and the ones that are probably did it for the right reasons. At some point, you'll realise that sometimes war is necessary, like the one we're fighting against IS... and yes, WWII where we literally had no choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    Rubbish. Without trash collectors we would be burying or burning stuff in our gardens and without doctors we might die at 75 instead of 81.
    Yeah for some reason I don't think that burning garbage is very healthy. The fumes would cause diseases. Burying it is also not a option cause the ones who do actually have a garden would also get sick. They'd have every type of worm and incect in their house, I don't think they'd be very happy or healthy. Also space would run out.

Without doctors half people woukd die from an untreated cold that peogressed to pneumonia or something. You cannot seriously believe we can survive 75 years without them.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    I would keep it the same, except place engineers under the bracket of 'applied scientists', so scientists win in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    But what you're not seeing, is we're not just talking about war... What about the typhoons that fend off other countries aerial advances? Or the frigates that patrol tne waters 24/7? Or the people who deliver aid to civilians? They're also soldiers.
    Also... Very few soldiers are actually murderers, and the ones that are probably did it for the right reasons. At some point, you'll realise that sometimes war is necessary, like the one we're fighting against IS... and yes, WWII where we literally had no choice.
    But if we ask people nicely they might not be mean to us. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How do these threads gain so much serious attention? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Doesn't require an extensive skill set to collect garbage though. If they all disappeared, we'd just start hiring skips. If skip collectors disappeared, we'd drive our garbage down the landfill ourselves.
    My point is that we need garbage collectors. No they don't need an extensive skill set butvwe still need them. We also need builders, farmers, supermarket workers plummers,electricians etc
    Just because someone doesn't have a degree decorating their wall does not mean they are useless.
    Unless you are willing to take on many part time jobs to make society function correctly then we would have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    But if we ask people nicely they might not be mean to us. :rolleyes:
    UK: Hey Nazi Germany, can you please stop dropping bombs on London please?

ReputationRep:
    Engineers are just physicists who are worse at maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venetiaan)
    Yeah for some reason I don't think that burning garbage is very healthy. The fumes would cause diseases. Burying it is also not a option cause the ones who do actually have a garden would also get sick. They'd have every type of worm and incect in their house, I don't think they'd be very happy or healthy. Also space would run out.
    I agree; trash collection is important.

Without doctors half people woukd die from an untreated cold that peogressed to pneumonia or something. You cannot seriously believe we can survive 75 years without them.
    There is no treatment for cold.

ReputationRep:
    Bruh if you're going to do this sort of thing then do it right. Take law and place it in the everything else category. "lawyers" isn't' a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NPWorld)
    Well let me enlighten you. There are a lot of instruments that doctors commonly use that has been made by doctors themselves.

For example, Stethoscopes, dialysis machines, blood pressure monitors, ECGs were all invented by doctors

One more thing, doctors don't always need machines to save lives

P.S: Artificial heart valve was also invented by a doctor
    But their work relies on progress made in basic scientific research anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Such scientific research is usually pioneered by doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Doctors are probably the most prestigious profession of this list.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    As an engineering student, I'm quite obviously biased.
    But there's an undeniable advantage to engineering's hybrid nature; it's an excellent cross-over between pure maths and pure science; and how they mix together in real-life micro and macro applications.
    Engineers are found to be highly employable (indeed, the finance field is crowded with engineers) because of how polyvalent they are and the excellent mind-frame an engineering degree provides you with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    LOL

CompScis > all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.