Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcneill98)
    I would kill myself, imagine living alone for billions of years. Not my cup of tea.

Bonus question.... if the big bang can't exist because nothing can come from nothing, how did God come to be ? What created him ?
    it shows our (lack of knowledge)
    who can answer this question !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fardm76)
    it shows our (lack of knowledge)
    who can answer this question !
    That is why I "believe" it is irrelevant whether God exists or not.
    If God exists and we lead good lives, then would we not go to Heaven and be rewarded ? Not according to most religions.
    If Mother Theresa herself was an atheist, would she be sent to Hell ? Apparently yes.
    In this case, why would I want to worship a God that lets good people suffer both on Earth and after ?

These questions lead to a simple answer, religion is primarily a system to gather people under one belief and punish them for not conforming. Like mental slavery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megadogyourmom)
    Yeah, I get your point.

On the contrary, I think it is very possible that God can be categorised as 'nothing'.

The problem I see is whether or not God truly can be omnipotent, omni-benevolent, omniscient, just, fair and a moral arbiter, whilst still maintaining the meaningfulness of his own existence. Shouldn't being the sheer embodiment of moral goodness render you exempt from being labelled as 'good'? You simply say stuff and it becomes 'good' by virtue of you being you. So is it really 'good' in the first place? This issue extends to whether or not he is just or fair.
    Can God truly love everyone at the same time? How would that translate into his actions? Is there any point to loving the most depraved of criminals? If God knows (assuming he is all-knowing) that the criminal will not redeem himself, then why does he love him? To affirm his own omni-benevolence? For who's sake? His own? If so, then can that truly be called 'love' for another? I would rather call that: The love of self (aka, narcissism).
    I don't think I need to explain the contradiction of omnipotence. It's been beaten to death by many greater than me.

So for God to be God, would he not have to negate the meaningfulness of his own existence? As everything he does would cease to matter, there is no meaning as there is nothing he cannot not be. If you can be, do, say, eat, drink, breathe etc. whatever you want then I'd argue that your existence has zero meaning. And I'd also argue that an existence without meaning is equivalent to a non-existence (aka 'nothing'. So even if God existed, there's no reason why people would have to acknowledge it as an 'existence' or give it any meaningful attention.

I'd argue that to provide meaning to your own existence, you'd have to limit yourself, limiting omnipotence would make it at best nigh-omnipotence. If anyone person was truly 'God' I doubt they would take the form of the Abrahamic God. They'd be more akin to Thor or something :/

Wow that was a bit of a ramble.

TL;DR - Basically, Thor > God.
    that wasn't ramble ........... that was impressive ............ you are totally right

ReputationRep:
    That is why I "believe" it is irrelevant whether God exists or not.
    If God exists and we lead good lives, then would we not go to Heaven and be rewarded ? Not according to most religions.
    If Mother Theresa herself was an atheist, would she be sent to Hell ? Apparently yes.
    In this case, why would I want to worship a God that lets good people suffer both on Earth and after ?

These questions lead to a simple answer, religion is primarily a system to gather people under one belief and punish them for not conforming. Like mental slavery.
    i taught like you ......... but today i changed my mind !

ReputationRep:
    i think we shouldn't believe in anything ............. we should only think about our own life to be successful !
    i am wrong again ! aren't i ?

ReputationRep:
    i taught like you ......... but today i changed my mind !
    Changed you mind to what ?

ReputationRep:
    Changed you mind to what ?
    to nothing ............... that i shouldn't think about him and i must leave him to himself .

ReputationRep:
    Endlessly and publicly torture the rapists and child abusers, anyone would be powerless to do anything against me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeFellOnMe)
    Endlessly and publicly torture the rapists and child abusers, anyone would be powerless to do anything against me.
    knowledge(science) is endless ........ so maybe , one day , we can be as powerful as him ............ i mean maybe we can be as same as him ..............don't you think ? who can surely say i am wrong ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    so , maybe , bad guys could fight with you too ?

ReputationRep:
    knowledge(science) is endless ........ so maybe , one day , we can be as powerful as him ............ i mean maybe we can be as same as him ..............don't you think ? who can surely say i am wrong ?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    so , maybe , bad guys could fight with you too ?
    We have the ability to change anything on Earth, God does not. His power does not exist.

Epicurus - “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

ReputationRep:
    I would make magic and fantasy creatures real then make aliens and space travel and advanced scientific technology real also. I'd create vampires, zombies, werewolves, dragons and unicorns. Of course it wouldn't be complete without superheroes and superpowers either

So basically Skyrim mixed with Star Wars or Aliens with Superman thrown in

ReputationRep:
    We have the ability to change anything on Earth, God does not. His power does not exist.

Epicurus - “Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
    Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
    Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
    Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
    yes, you'r right ....but many people believe that he is testing us ! so he let evil to exist ........... it is too complicated , isn't it ?

ReputationRep:
    I would not interact with My creation for any reason.
    I wouldn't send anyone in My name, I wouldn't help anyone , I wouldn't destroy anything .
    I would just observe My small experiment and notice how many times they saw Me, how many miracles I made, what a loving Father they think I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vesniep)
    I would not interact with my creation for any reason.
    I wouldn't send anyone in my name, I wouldn't help anyone , I wouldn't destroy anything .
    I would just observe my small experiment and notice how many times they saw me, how many miracles I made, what a loving Father they think I am.
    you would be a god of kindness !

ReputationRep:
    yes, you'r right ....but many people believe that he is testing us ! so he let evil to exist ........... it is too complicated , isn't it ?
    Religion will always find a solution, even illogical to logical based arguments. It's a test, don't test god etc. all translate to 'do as you're told and don't question it'.
    And if you ever find a flaw in their teachings, like support for slavery, they will say it is simply a metaphor. I'd love to ask them what the verses against homosexuality and for incest are metaphors for.
    The bible is so long and contradictory that anything can found in it, and interpreted any way. They'll always find some stupid excuse to validate their beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Religion will always find a solution, even illogical to logical based arguments. It's a test, don't test god etc. all translate to 'do as you're told and don't question it'.
    And if you ever find a flaw in their teachings, like support for slavery, they will say it is simply a metaphor. I'd love to ask them what the verses against homosexuality and for incest are metaphors for.
    The bible is so long and contradictory that anything can found in it, and interpreted any way. They'll always find some stupid excuse to validate their beliefs.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    i agree with you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Wow. None of you should ever be gods.

If I were a god I would cure cancer and get rid off AIDS/HIV.
    The biggest killer is still death.

Those things although effect alot of people, death and fatigue would still end the lives of most people by 100.

If I were a God, why would I want humans/anything to be immortal?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    The biggest killer is still death.

Those things although effect alot of people, death and fatigue would still end the lives of most people by 100.

If I were a God, why would I want humans/anything to be immortal?
    What? I'm not saying get rid off death altogether. Just get rid off those two incurable diseases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    What? I'm not saying get rid off death altogether. Just get rid off those two incurable diseases.
    I know, but Death would still occur.
    What's the point of saying, "oh you're cured of cancer/HIV/Aids/whatever but you'll still die in a few years".

If you have that power (you're a God/The God) what's the difference?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by HelpusPleasus)
    I know, but Death would still occur.
    What's the point of saying, "oh you're cured of cancer/HIV/Aids/whatever but you'll still die in a few years".

If you have that power (you're a God/The God) what's the difference?
    It prevents premature death when considering the lifespan as a whole. Children who have cancer can live their whole life as opposed to only like 15-20 years, that's a big difference for many people rather than just "few years"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.