Accounting and Finance vs Economics

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    There are jobs outside of the places which ask for UCAS points, in fact the majority of jobs don't. It's just that people are fixated in big corporate grad schemes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank god for that! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Aren't the points actually required to become an accountant or chartered accountant though?
    no lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    no lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Might sound stupid but school don't help with stuff like this and I can't find any firm who will help to sit the exams and providing training without them 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Might sound stupid but school don't help with stuff like this and I can't find any firm who will help to sit the exams and providing training without them 😂
    As I said, PwC and EY have scrapped ucas point reqs and there are 100s of smaller accounting firms that have graduate positions.

Most tech companies don't even have ucas point reqs and there are some financial institutions that have gotten rid of them. Then ofc the mountains of startups and small to medium sized companies.

Yh, careers advice at school is diabolical which is why I'm doing this Mod thing so I can at least help guide folks a bit better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As I said, PwC and EY have scrapped ucas point reqs and there are 100s of smaller accounting firms that have graduate positions.

Most tech companies don't even have ucas point reqs and there are some financial institutions that have gotten rid of them. Then ofc the mountains of startups and small to medium sized companies.

Yh, careers advice at school is diabolical which is why I'm doing this Mod thing so I can at least help guide folks a bit better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, and it's working thanks. And yeah I knew the tech companies hardly had them as it's very very rare I've seen them when browsing jobs in indeed ect but I thought all accounting and finance ones did so I've learnt something new, cheers
    Sounds stupid lol but I nearly just did a degre in CS instead of accounting and finance where my interest was just to know I could bypass all the ucas points and still get a great job!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dervo)
    Thanks for all the replies.

Just wanted to add, I missed out on the A in maths by a couples marks due to my C2 exam, and I'm hesitant about resitting it this year in case that's seen as a negative by universities - however, if I don't retake it, I cant quite see myself getting an A overall, thoughts?
    Why not, it's only a 1/3 of an AS. Retaking will probably help you make sure you get that A, but if your other modules are good enough, specifically C3 and C4 then your C2 grade is not even going to make any difference. I was in a similar position and I got an A* without retaking my C2. Saying that I got 76 in C2. If you got a lot lower than that it's probably worth retaking as C3 might help you understand the later C2 chapters.

There are very few universities who care about resitting modules within the two years of A level.

ReputationRep:
    no lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just curious-Say i had 300 ucas points and ended up getting a 2:1 degree and i wanted to apply for a firm which requires 320 ucas points + a 2:1 degree. What would happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flytrap1190)
    Just curious-Say i had 300 ucas points and ended up getting a 2:1 degree and i wanted to apply for a firm which requires 320 ucas points + a 2:1 degree. What would happen?
    You may or may not get rejected, depends on if it's an auto filter or not and if it's not, whether your CV is stronger in other areas to make up for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are the hours for those jobs similar to top IB banks, i.e. 10+ hours a day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    Are the hours for those jobs similar to top IB banks, i.e. 10+ hours a day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, though the hours may be similar to the finance/ops/tech division of an IB.

The hours will obviously not be the same as an IBD analyst at an IB though, if that's what you were expecting.

I think you need to research what exactly an IB does, and why analysts work so many hours before looking at graduate jobs.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.