Why do most students choose to move when going uni

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)

I have everything I need at home except independence and now I've tasted that at university, I could never look back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You mean youve tasted cock

ReputationRep:
    Being an only child whose incredibly close to their parents, I was desperate to move out for a bit of independence, i felt if i didnt do it then i would ever. Hence I went to a uni in a completly different city
    It a great way to meet people from different parts of the country that do different courses, instead of just hanging out with people of the same subject and interests as you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    You mean youve tasted cock
    LOOOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The nearest good uni is like 80 miles away and I didn't want to go there anyway

ReputationRep:
    the main reason would be none of my preferred units being near me . While independence and the 'uni experience' are appealing, they're not remotely worth the huge additional costs incurred from accommodation for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Kira)
    At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth
    my uni was ~80 miles from home 1 way, meaning about ~ 160 miles /day commuting on the m1, m25, m2 and a/b roads. 160 * 5 is 800 miles a week commuting and when you consider you have to go on m25 + dartford area, it would mean 3-6 hours + a day of travelling.

I would say that ideally, private accomodation is better as it is cheaper than student but stay student for only your first year.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can meet with friends etc and you can do whatever you want pretty much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    I would say that ideally, private accomodation is better as it is cheaper than student but stay student for only your first year.
    I was so shocked at how much student accommodation actually was! It's appalling and it was completely out of my budget (with max loan, grant, and bursaries). I'm in London and could rent a studio apartment in Kensington for less than a room in halls!

ReputationRep:
    My local uni was the only one that does my course so I opted for that. I also stay at home to save my parents money esp as my dad has just retired. A bit of me regrets not going into halls though because i think I'm missing out on an important part of the uni experience. On the other hand I think I'm mature enough to admit I am sufficiently immature to still appreciate not having to worry about feeding myself or having my clean laundry put in my room for me. To be honest getting to grips with finding my way about uni, settling into my course and trying to make new friends seems to be consuming all my energy at the moment. I am hoping to move into a flat with other students in my second year. I think I will be ready to leave home by then. I'm the only offspring at home so I think my parents are happy to still have me here. They, especially my mum, asks lots of questions about what I'm doing etc but she never tries to stop me doing stuff. Quite the opposite in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have african parents who don't give me any freedom at home lmao

ReputationRep:
    At home you have free accomodation, free food, someone to iron your clothes, you don't have to buy cooking utensils and you won't commute back and forth
    Because not everyone wants their parents to do everything for them, nor does everyone like being reliant on/ sponging off their parents. I personally craved freedom and personal responsibility.

I'm a lot happier living in my own place having the responsibility of bills and rent and cooking my own food than at home feeling like a complete waste of space with 0 adult responsibilities. I don't want to be in a state of perpetual adolescence.

I understand not moving out is often a better financial choice for some people and I can understand that. But staying at your parents because you can't be bothered to cook or clean or do every day adult activities to me just screams immaturity and/ or laziness...though to be fair those people clearly aren't ready to move out as they're not really adults yet.

ReputationRep:
    Independence, and the fact that I can go to a good uni in London, and live there even if its only for three years. I feel the experience of being in London will be much more fulfilling than if i was close to home in the country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    Yep! Even if Brunel University 15 minutes away (not that it's my top choice)
    How? How does one defy their controlling parents to get into accommodation?! My parents barely let me leave the house alone as it is?!!? Please share your wisdom with a helpless University student, it would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dmy15)
    Because I have african parents who don't give me any freedom at home lmao
    I know the struggle. Been home since I finished my degree and I feel trapped again 😐 Being away from them for 4 years was absolutely the best

ReputationRep:
    Someone to iron your clothes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqrahaq123)
    How? How does one defy their controlling parents to get into accommodation?! My parents barely let me leave the house alone as it is?!!? Please share your wisdom with a helpless University student, it would be much appreciated!
    I'm sure the one who will fill in the forms. Prove them wrong by being independent. Anyways, I'm still in sixth form but I told my mum that whatever she says I'm moving out there's no way they will make me change my mind.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.