Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    dat moment when you wish all your parents called you was an "awful person" - that's a compliment to me :lol:

but for real - if it upsets you try and get them together when they're calm and cool and chill one evening and explain yourself to them. Tell them exactly what you think and ask them what they think you're doing wrong and try to reach a compromise?

They're your parents, not your enemies. They inherently love you and want the best for you, there's just a bunch of disconnected wires that you need to fix up and everyone will be happy

(Original post by Andy98)
    Yeah, I tried that once; within 4 weeks my girlfriend at the time and my great grandmother died. Fair to say I gave up with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    essay incoming

Spoiler:
    Show
    You can never change the past but you can always change the future, and having a positive outlook on life helps you get it together and be in control of your life, not have it control you. One day you might be reunited with them, and you want to be able to tell them all the things you accomplished and all the good things you did in your life that you're proud of. And not that you spent it all waiting for death. Even if you don't believe in the afterlife, atleast be happy and enjoy it while you're here... you get me?

It's like if you were going on a road trip and your tyres go flat. You're not gonna let it ruin your whole day, you get up and change the tyre and fix up your car and carry on, right?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Tell them what you just said right now, they probably don't know how you feel if you don't tell them everything about how you're feeling. If that doesn't work probably just come back on TSR for more advice. If you already have then i'm going to need more context to understand how to help .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I tried that once; within 4 weeks my girlfriend at the time and my great grandmother died. Fair to say I gave up with that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so awful:/ I'm so sorry to hear that but you just gotta try to remain positive, things are always going to get better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    essay incoming

Spoiler:
    Show
    You can never change the past but you can always change the future, and having a positive outlook on life helps you get it together and be in control of your life, not have it control you. One day you might be reunited with them, and you want to be able to tell them all the things you accomplished and all the good things you did in your life that you're proud of. And not that you spent it all waiting for death. Even if you don't believe in the afterlife, atleast be happy and enjoy it while you're here... you get me?

It's like if you were going on a road trip and your tyres go flat. You're not gonna let it ruin your whole day, you get up and change the tyre and fix up your car and carry on, right?

Good luck
    Yeah but I'll always blame myself for the girlfriends death. End of.

(Original post by laurab21)
    That's so awful:/ I'm so sorry to hear that but you just gotta try to remain positive, things are always going to get better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't apologise, not your fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I'll always blame myself for the girlfriends death. End of.

Don't apologise, not your fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't blame yourself for her death, you need to look forward and I know it can be really difficult moving on from the past (especially in this sort of circumstance) but moving forward is the best thing to do and I know I'm repeating myself but life is genuinely only going to get better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    dat moment when you wish all your parents called you was an "awful person" - that's a compliment to me :lol:

but for real - if it upsets you try and get them together when they're calm and cool and chill one evening and explain yourself to them. Tell them exactly what you think and ask them what they think you're doing wrong and try to reach a compromise?

They're your parents, not your enemies. They inherently love you and want the best for you, there's just a bunch of disconnected wires that you need to fix up and everyone will be happy
    Trust me I've been called a hell of a lot worse:') and my parents don't do calm and chill- like ever but thank you for the advice, I'll consider it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    Tell them what you just said right now, they probably don't know how you feel if you don't tell them everything about how you're feeling. If that doesn't work probably just come back on TSR for more advice. If you already have then i'm going to need more context to understand how to help .
    I've told them how I felt and they won't listen an what sort of context do you need?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    urghh my parents do annoying things like that too

there was a time I was doing the majority of the housework within the house because at the time I had just finished college and wasn't working and everyone else was. Despite the fact i spent hours doing most of the cleaning and a lot of cooking my parents called me 'lazy' and constantly said that i 'didn't do much' and i always had to remind them 'uh who cooked the dinner you ate yesterday? who did the laundry? who did all the washing up?' and they'd be like 'oh you did it for ONE day' and I'm all like umm... I DO IT EVERY DAY!!!

and then there are a few times that my mum does the cooking and only once i said i didn't feel like it eating it and wanted something else that day - just once i said this - whereas my sister has constantly refused to eat my mums cooking yet she ALWAYS says to me 'oh you won't eat my food, you NEVER do' but never says it to my sister!!! ONE bloody time is not 'NEVER'

whats with the selective memory?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    urghh my parents do annoying things like that too

there was a time I was doing the majority of the housework within the house because at the time I had just finished college and wasn't working and everyone else was. Despite the fact i spent hours doing most of the cleaning and a lot of cooking my parents called me 'lazy' and constantly said that i 'didn't do much' and i always had to remind them 'uh who cooked the dinner you ate yesterday? who did the laundry? who did all the washing up?' and they'd be like 'oh you did it for ONE day' and I'm all like umm... I DO IT EVERY DAY!!!

and then there are a few times that my mum does the cooking and only once i said i didn't feel like it eating it and wanted something else that day - just once i said this - whereas my sister has constantly refused to eat my mums cooking yet she ALWAYS says to me 'oh you won't eat my food, you NEVER do' but never says it to my sister!!! ONE bloody time is not 'NEVER'

whats with the selective memory?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!
    I literally couldn't relate to this more if I tried 😂 my brothers always get their own way and they can do something wrong and my parents will let them get away with it but when I make the slightest mistake, I get grounded!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I won't deny that since I know nothing about you and I don't have the audacity to make a judgement on a person without really knowing them but from first impressions you come accross as having an ego. And you have no idea if I'm being oversensitive? Stop making such sweeping statements without the facts
    What facts? It's generally about having opinions. People can make opinions here. Can you say why I cannot, bar some dopey thought in your brain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    What facts? It's generally about having opinions. People can make opinions here. Can you say why I cannot, bar some dopey thought in your brain?
    The facts being context, what my situation is in detail. Can you just leave, your opinion is not valued here and you're pathetically starting an argument for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The facts being context, what my situation is in detail. Can you just leave, your opinion is not valued here and you're pathetically starting an argument for no reason

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmmm...sorry, this forum is for making opinions. I like how you take time to say can say what...possibly asperger's on your part, but cool.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...sorry, this forum is for making opinions. I like how you take time to say can say what...possibly asperger's on your part, but cool.
    Get the **** off. Don't bring asperges into this, grow up and stop hiding behind a screen. I'm asking for helpful opinions not opinions from sadistic *****es such as yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The second I turned 13 (quite a while ago now), my parents just assumed I'd be a stereotypical teenager who rebels against everything. So they treated me like that. But recently they're just being so horrible to me and I genuinely haven't done anything. Today for example, I fell asleep so didn't help cook dinner, then my dad called me a 'not very nice person' behind my back which I heard, I then confronted my mum and then agreed saying 'No, you're an awful person, you only every think about yourself'. I don't see what I've done wrong, I want to get on with my parents but they're making it very difficult, any advice?
    I think that talking to a counselor might be very helpful if your parents won't listen to you (i guess using TSR is a good way of gaining council on such problems, but i believe counselors might have more experience with this type of thing). I think that if you want to have a positive relationship with your parents, you need to constantly talk to them about it. You need to be both persistent and relentlessly dedicated in such situations to achieve your goal. Tell them and show them that you are emotionally hurt by their attitude towards you. It's easy to give up, i want to do the same with the members of my family, but i know i could have the life i want with them if i fight for it.

This may be a pretty generic statement & it's mostly based on personal experience. But i really hope it might be insightful in some way, to help you know what you should do.

ReputationRep:
    Get the **** off. Don't bring asperges into this, grow up and stop hiding behind a screen. I'm asking for helpful opinions not opinions from sadistic *****es such as yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hmmm,,,ok, you own this forum, and choose who says what...haha.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm,,,ok, you own this forum, and choose who says what...haha.
    Well I made the ****ing thing so yeh. And you're supposed to give opinions that people can use to help that's the point of this website!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think that talking to a counselor might be very helpful if your parents won't listen to you (i guess using TSR is a good way of gaining council on such problems, but i believe counselors might have more experience with this type of thing). I think that if you want to have a positive relationship with your parents, you need to constantly talk to them about it. You need to be both persistent and relentlessly dedicated in such situations to achieve your goal. Tell them and show them that you are emotionally hurt by their attitude towards you. It's easy to give up, i want to do the same with the members of my family, but i know i could have the life i want with them if i fight for it.

This may be a pretty generic statement & it's mostly based on personal experience. But i really hope it might be insightful in some way, to help you know what you should do.
    Thanks yeh, I might look into counselling more thank you)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The second I turned 13 (quite a while ago now), my parents just assumed I'd be a stereotypical teenager who rebels against everything. So they treated me like that. But recently they're just being so horrible to me and I genuinely haven't done anything. Today for example, I fell asleep so didn't help cook dinner, then my dad called me a 'not very nice person' behind my back which I heard, I then confronted my mum and then agreed saying 'No, you're an awful person, you only every think about yourself'. I don't see what I've done wrong, I want to get on with my parents but they're making it very difficult, any advice?
    I feel for you but try having Asian parents who lecture you about what you can and can't do, who you can and can't hang out with, what girls you're allowed to be around, etc... Plus the insults on the side. My parents even go as far to compare me to my cousins, saying they do this, that and the other and I do none of it, lmao. This happens every other day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    I feel for you but try having Asian parents who lecture you about what you can and can't do, who you can and can't hang out with, what girls you're allowed to be around, etc... Plus the insults on the side. My parents even go as far to compare me to my cousins, saying they do this, that and the other and I do none of it, lmao. This happens every other day.
    God that must be awful, if it helps my parents compare me to their friend's kids and also my cousins even though I've accomplished more than they had at my age, my parents keep boasting about how they've all got degrees from uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.