Gap Year Thread 2016/17

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm taking a gap year as well after A2. I didn't apply to uni last year so am going through the whole UCAS process this year.. yay! I didn't plan to take resits during my gap year but well here I am lol. The plan for the year is to work, volunteer and study for my resits. I'm hoping to apply for chemical engineering at uni but the struggle of finding 5 unis I like is hard!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammy9898)
    Hey,
    I'm taking a gap year as well after A2. I didn't apply to uni last year so am going through the whole UCAS process this year.. yay! I didn't plan to take resits during my gap year but well here I am lol. The plan for the year is to work, volunteer and study for my resits. I'm hoping to apply for chemical engineering at uni but the struggle of finding 5 unis I like is hard!!
    Hey Sammy,

What was the reason you decided not to apply to uni last year?

Seems like you know what you're doing this year which is good

I have the same problem! I can't seem to find 5 unis that I like, I'm going to have to research loads.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BryonyG98)
    I do have a good group of friends which js definitely one of the better qualities to share! I really want to ombré my hair!

Turns out ULAS seems to be a personal statement help service...
    Hahaha, I wouldn't mind having her pool either

Go for it! I ombred my hair too a while ago and I've decided to go back too my natural hair colour now but I miss dying it haha!

Ohhh...?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    Similar issues here.. although it is more 5 unis that i like which i could get into?

What subjects are you resitting?

(Original post by Stecher)
    Hahaha, I wouldn't mind having her pool either

Go for it! I ombred my hair too a while ago and I've decided to go back too my natural hair colour now but I miss dying it haha!

Ohhh...?
    Very true, a pool would be pretty awesome!

Its just building up the confidence to actually do it! What colour is your natural hair?

Yeah thats what came up... perhaps they meant that you could use that instead of going to your sixth form for help ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futurechildnurse)
    Hi,

Im good thanks.

Oh wow! Lots of experience you have,already.

Bournemouth is great for any healthcare course.

If i were you,id contact all the unis and get a more in depth reason as to why you didnt obtain a place,last year. For my first choice uni,they gave me feedback,that i didnt quite understand,so emailed them and was told the following:
    My nerves showed,my answers were short and i needed to expand on them more. They said a good tip,was getting hospital experience,which i will be getting.

X
    That's good that Bournemouth is good for healthcare, really want to go to open day there but it is far to get there. But hopefully will go.

And thank you for your help there. I'll give my previous uni's an email. So what uni's are you thinking of applying for this year? And what experience have you managed to get so far for being a child nurse? Hope its all going well

ReputationRep:
    Last application sent off *

now time will tell :scared:*

ReputationRep:
    Similar issues here.. although it is more 5 unis that i like which i could get into?

Very true, a pool would be pretty awesome!

Its just building up the confidence to actually do it! What colour is your natural hair?

Yeah thats what came up... perhaps they meant that you could use that instead of going to your sixth form for help ☺

I'm sure it will look amazing! My natural colour is dark brown but it was dyed before summer and got super light in the sun argh!

Ohhh maybe, I was so confused haha

Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma2898)
    That's good that Bournemouth is good for healthcare, really want to go to open day there but it is far to get there. But hopefully will go.

And thank you for your help there. I'll give my previous uni's an email. So what uni's are you thinking of applying for this year? And what experience have you managed to get so far for being a child nurse? Hope its all going well
    Hi Emma,

So sorry i havent replied until now.

My choices are:bournemouth,anglian ruskin,bucks new,uwl and birmingham city.

My experience:volunteered in a primary,nursery,multi-disciplinary team during college. My most recent experience is:working as a support worker for people with learning disabilities. I also volunteer at my local youth club and hospital on the mother and baby unit. Also recently just got a new job as a bank care officer. Also got experience of babysitting different aged children.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm on a gap year whereby I'm studying psychology a -level (the whole a level in just one year!), volunteering at the national trust and planning to get some work experience/a part-time job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will look amazing! My natural colour is dark brown but it was dyed before summer and got super light in the sun argh!

Ohhh maybe, I was so confused haha

Xx
    Aww that's a shame, may I ask roughly how much it cost for you to dye your hair? Never done it so no clue!

(Original post by lilGem)
    Last application sent off *

now time will tell :scared:*
    Good luck! Where did you go for in the end?

(Original post by FNugent)
    Hi, I'm on a gap year whereby I'm studying psychology a -level (the whole a level in just one year!), volunteering at the national trust and planning to get some work experience/a part-time job.
    Hi,

What is your name?
    That is certainly brave, good luck!!
    What do you want to study next year and where?
    Have you had a job before and where do you plan on looking this year?

ReputationRep:
    Aww that's a shame, may I ask roughly how much it cost for you to dye your hair? Never done it so no clue!

Hmm, I would say it depends on where you go but because you've never dyed your hair before it will be easier to dye which means it will be cheaper to ombre because they will need to bleach the ends of your hair. The first time I got mine done it was £50 x

ReputationRep:
    Hey Sammy,

What was the reason you decided not to apply to uni last year?

Seems like you know what you're doing this year which is good

I have the same problem! I can't seem to find 5 unis that I like, I'm going to have to research loads.

x
    Hey I wasn't 100% certain what course I wanted to do last year hence I didn't apply. Yeah, I think I do, haha. Yes!! I mean I've got a list of unis I somewhat like but then I keep changing my mind.. literally just going back and forth with my choices lol. What unis are you interested in? Plus, what course? x

Yep I can understand that. I keep worrying that my choices are too ambitious but if I don't try then I'll never know lol. I'm resitting an exam each from biology, chemistry and maths.

ReputationRep:

Hi,

What is your name?
    That is certainly brave, good luck!!
    What do you want to study next year and where?
    Have you had a job before and where do you plan on looking this year?
    My name is. Freddie, I want to study either history or criminology at Southampton, Royal Holloway, Kent or uni of Sussex
    I've had no jobs before and I'm planning on working at a supermarket/pub - anywhere that will get me paid basically

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wasn't 100% certain what course I wanted to do last year hence I didn't apply. Yeah, I think I do, haha. Yes!! I mean I've got a list of unis I somewhat like but then I keep changing my mind.. literally just going back and forth with my choices lol. What unis are you interested in? Plus, what course? x
    Hi! Oh fair enough Yeah me too, just need to go to lots of open days and research everything about the uni and the course.

Graphic Design / Communication and at the moment my favourites are Loughborough, Leeds and Kingston

x

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would say it depends on where you go but because you've never dyed your hair before it will be easier to dye which means it will be cheaper to ombre because they will need to bleach the ends of your hair. The first time I got mine done it was £50 x

"my favourites are Loughborough"
    Ooh that sounds painful (atleast to my bank balance, I think it might have to be something I save up for (which sounds stupid, but I have more important things to pay for than a hair style...)

Glad to see that Loughborough is in the mix still!

Yep I can understand that. I keep worrying that my choices are too ambitious but if I don't try then I'll never know lol. I'm resitting an exam each from biology, chemistry and maths.
    Having read the article on TSR it suggests 1 above, 2/3 at and 1/2 below your predicted grades. Hope that gives you something to go on! I made the mistake of now going on open days and realising I really didn't like one of the lower universities I applied to which kind of sucked!

My name is. Freddie, I want to study either history or criminology at Southampton, Royal Holloway, Kent or uni of Sussex
    I've had no jobs before and I'm planning on working at a supermarket/pub - anywhere that will get me paid basically
    Hi Freddie (:
    Someone earlier was saying that the Uni of Sussex was really nice and one of my friends is off to Southampton on Sunday! Criminology has always sounded interesting but I don't think I fully understand what it actually is...
    Very sensible on the job front! I was lucky enough to already have a part time job and am looking for another to help me earn a bit more!

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, tbh I'm not particularly sure what criminology is either but I've heard it's a good degree to get if you want to go into the police force which I want to do and then hopefully become a criminal investigator/detective which would be awesome!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, tbh I'm not particularly sure what criminology is either but I've heard it's a good degree to get if you want to go into the police force which I want to do and then hopefully become a criminal investigator/detective which would be awesome!!!
    The police force sounds like a pretty cool job; did you ever do police cadets?

ReputationRep:
    Choices for MRes/ MSc are Leicester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    Choices for MRes/ MSc are Leicester, Sheffield, Nottingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Birmingham
    Is the reason you could apply to 6 because it is a Masters?

I have friends at both Nottingham and Sheffield (:

ReputationRep:
    Is the reason you could apply to 6 because it is a Masters?

I have friends at both Nottingham and Sheffield (:
    Yeah, at Masters level you apply directly to the university rather than via UCAS so there's no limit. The exception is graduate entry medicine, veterinary medicine and dentistry. I think also for a PGCE.

One of my best friends from College is intercalating at Leeds during her medicine degree and will be returning for Sheffield for her final year the same time I'll be doing my masters and a course mate is starting a MSc in Medical Microbiology at Nottingham this year *

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.