Turn on thread page Beta

court case - need some law advice - lawers and cops needed!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I'm just a witness, yes. I don't know whether I'll be called as one in October as I havn't heard anything from the court, a letter from the defendant's solicitor is the first I've heard of anything, but as things stand it's going to be a problem if I am.
    Relax! Worst case is you explain things to oxford, and the court, miss a few lectures travel by train and stay the night in a hotel or whatever, give your evidence and return to oxford. I understand not wishing to miss academic committments, but the university has a duty to ensure that you are not unfairly disadvantaged by this. If that extends all the way to concessions being considered by the board of examiners in the summer then so be it.
    You are unlikely to suffer academically any more than somebody who gets ill (and the so called "Freshers' flu" is common at universities). As for making new friends its an instant tale you can recall, and again, no different to being ill.

As a witness you cannot be unfairly disadvanteged by this. If you were a defendant then you would again not be disadvantaged if the ruling went in your favour ( I am assuming that this is a civil case) If it went against you then the Uni may not be so accomodating. The only situation where I could forsee legal action being a problem is if you were the plaintiff, when the Uni may very well suggest you wait till the summer before filing suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniper999)
    hi there, i have a prob that i need to solve and i need some advice and help as soon as possible and as fast as possible

well this is how it all started, i was on a scoter that my mate was riding, i never actually had a helmet and because of that i was pulled over by the cops, so they told me ill have a cort caase and that i will have to pay approx 1000!!!, i said to myself thats ******** man , i aint guna pay that much for that.

my question is, what can they actually do to a person in my situation who has a clean record and hasnt really been involved that much with the police. my excuse can be realted to be health, firstly i can prove that i had a serious anle injury which can prevent me for walkin long distance which can be proved by a DR (i was approx 2 miles from home from where they caught me) and i also wasnt fellin to well the past few days which also can be proved by a DR as high blood pressure, so will that be to my benefit in any chance.

id like to ask any1 who can help me in this situation to do so please, as i will be greatful, especailly if it was from some1 who keows the law, u can either pm me or send throught public.
    thx.
    Are you a scally per chance? I.e. wear tracksuit bottoms, and rockport shoes, with a Henry Llyod Jumper to finish the look, oh and don't forget a cap.

Seriously dude, where the hell did you think you where? India/South East Asia, it's people like you that give us motorcyclists a bad name, not wearing helmets, what you did was reckless and irresponsible, I hope you have learnt your lesson, I mean it may all be fun and games, but if you were hit by a car and killed, you would have just ended your life and the car driver's life. If you ask me £1000 isn't enough.

ReputationRep:
    well, its cuz i never had one at theat moment. and by the way i had a injured ankle so i just couldnt go walkin all the way, i mean what is the big hassel with not weartin helmits???!
    beacuse you'll die if you fall off...it's not there for fun, it's for protection. i can't believe you're even asking that question. maybe you won't be fined £1000, and you might just get a caution, but not because you've got a sore ankle - widdy woo, get a bus! just be lucky you didn't get your mate into trouble if it was his scooter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I'm just a witness, yes. I don't know whether I'll be called as one in October as I havn't heard anything from the court, a letter from the defendant's solicitor is the first I've heard of anything, but as things stand it's going to be a problem if I am.
    i know this is slightly different, but i was called to be a witness at a hearing when a van hit the car i was driving during a driving lesson. it was a ridiculous claim - i was stationary with hand brake on, van driver was a shifty bloke who just wasn't looking at ran into the back of me - yet he was claiming i'd reversed into him (in a dual control car, hard enough to write it off...i don't think so) anyway, we were meant to be going to court next week, but he's just pulled out of the claim. so it might be dropped before you have to get there. either way, i wouldn't worry if you do have to go, because as someone said, lots of people will get ill for at least 3 days anyway, and that early on you will catch up fine.

ReputationRep:
    Are they actualy going to take you to court. Sounds to me like they are just trying to scare you.

ReputationRep:
    You: "Sorry officer i wasn't aware that violently stabing someone to death is a crime"
    Officer: "Oh thats ok then sonny on your way now"

You broke the law, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    hi there, i have a prob that i need to solve and i need some advice and help as soon as possible and as fast as possible

well this is how it all started, i was on a scoter that my mate was riding, i never actually had a helmet and because of that i was pulled over by the cops, so they told me ill have a cort caase and that i will have to pay approx 1000!!!, i said to myself thats ******** man , i aint guna pay that much for that.

my question is, what can they actually do to a person in my situation who has a clean record and hasnt really been involved that much with the police. my excuse can be realted to be health, firstly i can prove that i had a serious anle injury which can prevent me for walkin long distance which can be proved by a DR (i was approx 2 miles from home from where they caught me) and i also wasnt fellin to well the past few days which also can be proved by a DR as high blood pressure, so will that be to my benefit in any chance.

id like to ask any1 who can help me in this situation to do so please, as i will be greatful, especailly if it was from some1 who keows the law, u can either pm me or send throught public.
    thx.
    Because your case is not very serious it is likely that if you plead guilty your lawyers will settle the case out of court and you will get a fine. The amount will depend on several factors: past criminal record, occupation, status etc...
    Assuming you are an unemployed student, you will probably be fined in the region of £50 - £300.

ReputationRep:
    You will not have to pay £1000. The fines are in proportion to your income, so say someone on £40k may have to pay that, but at your age, unless your rich you will not have to.
    You could look into a legal aid lawyer, but their hard to get these days.
    You could also lok into pleading guilty by post - tends to look better - unless you have been summoned, when you have to attend.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    wats the difference between magistrates and the jury courts??
    Majistrates are the lowest form of court. They deal with minor offences and can impose terms of up to 6 months in prison. If more than that is required or the offence is serious then it goes to Crown court. If the defendet pleads innocent to certain crimes it also goes to the Crown court. The Crown court has a judge, jury and barristers - though solicters can now practice there. Magistrates are lay people - ofen old and retired and the legal advice is given by the clerk of the court - unlike the clerk in the Crown court.
    It is possible to appeal from the magistrates to the Crown. The main areas of the magistrates work is minor motoring offences and bail applications. Solicitors mainly work in the magistrates.
    There are things called County Courts wihc deal with 'civil' law - mostly to do with wills and money.
    Appeals from the courts go to different places. If you want to know I'll look them up for you if not, I won't.
    HTH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, 197?, states that certain convictions can become 'spent' i.e. they do not need to be mentioned on employment forms etc. But they will always remain on the police computer. This is so that offenders are not unduly disadvantaged when it comes to getting a job.
    that a good thing to hear, is that in my case so sir?

Soz bout the late reply, its just that ive been really busy latley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Are you a scally per chance? I.e. wear tracksuit bottoms, and rockport shoes, with a Henry Llyod Jumper to finish the look, oh and don't forget a cap.

Seriously dude, where the hell did you think you where? India/South East Asia, it's people like you that give us motorcyclists a bad name, not wearing helmets, what you did was reckless and irresponsible, I hope you have learnt your lesson, I mean it may all be fun and games, but if you were hit by a car and killed, you would have just ended your life and the car driver's life. If you ask me £1000 isn't enough.
    lol, if it wasnt for my bad leg i prob would have done one, and no i aint a typical so called 'scally', for God's sake it was my first time to jump on the moped fo further than a mile, i always rejected hoping on when i was asked to do so but life aint as you want it to be, so i aint really fused about it, i done a mistake and i learnt from it, but if i had a bad leg again and cudnt walk and was in pain, id still do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    beacuse you'll die if you fall off...it's not there for fun, it's for protection. i can't believe you're even asking that question. maybe you won't be fined £1000, and you might just get a caution, but not because you've got a sore ankle - widdy woo, get a bus! just be lucky you didn't get your mate into trouble if it was his scooter.
    he's in a worse situation ans his the one who told me to jump on so no your facts before openong your big mouth :mad:

ReputationRep:
    snipper face it you're a worthless scally who rides around all day on scooters with no care for the law! just kidding, but seriously if you'd of crashed how would your mate feel if you'd of died? he'd of been the one that killed you. or how'd your family of felt? or the person in the car that smashed into you?

you broke the law, not just some stupid law, a really sensible one be a man and deal with it, go in there apologetic admit you were wrong and take your punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InterCity125)
    You will not have to pay £1000. The fines are in proportion to your income, so say someone on £40k may have to pay that, but at your age, unless your rich you will not have to.
    You could look into a legal aid lawyer, but their hard to get these days.
    You could also lok into pleading guilty by post - tends to look better - unless you have been summoned, when you have to attend.
    HTH
    yeah they gave me a date and time, can i just send them back sayin im guilty, deal with the situtaion and ill see what i can do with the fine ****. and i have to attend with my mate whos on hloiday, and iv just got a job last week, temp thou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    snipper face it you're a worthless scally who rides around all day on scooters with no care for the law! just kidding, but seriously if you'd of crashed how would your mate feel if you'd of died? he'd of been the one that killed you. or how'd your family of felt? or the person in the car that smashed into you?

you broke the law, not just some stupid law, a really sensible one be a man and deal with it, go in there apologetic admit you were wrong and take your punishment.
    true, but nothing like that happened at the end so its all good init.

ReputationRep:
    yeah everyone makes mistakes now don't do it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    yeah everyone makes mistakes now don't do it again
    i aint usually a dilinquant but you gota be sumtimes, dnt you

ReputationRep:

thx.

Hi sniper you need to wear a helmet if you dont then one day youre brain or pieces of it will be swept up by a fireman.......you will get a fine you wont go to prison just yet, maybe if you keep swearing in front of police and not wear a helmet and keep being rebellious then im sure you will end up in prison i hope not........and im sure a young man like yourself doenst have high blood pressure your too young to need to worry about that. just wear a helmet for your own good!

ReputationRep:
    i aint usually a dilinquant but you gota be sumtimes, dnt you
    Bloody pike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Bloody pike.

isn't it "Bloody Pikey"?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.