Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you ever date someone who's unemployed? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If he/she is unemployed due to a physical or mental health then I wouldn't have a problem with him/her so long as he or she is working towards something such as going to a college, (mainstream colleges not adult community learning) looking for work, has things to do from 8am to late and not watching daytime tv all day.

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

(Original post by AlexLawrence1453)
    As an unemployed man in full time education, I would be put off too. Unless she's between jobs, currently in full time education or was recently laid off, then yeah it's a turn off. Either way, there's no harm in getting to know the guy before deciding if you want to pursue anything. Experience is a good thing.
    I cancelled the date and told him I was too busy and wasn't looking for anything right now. Now I regret it

ReputationRep:
    It depends why. If it's due to health reasons or a disability then I can understand but pure laziness is a no no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I cancelled the date and told him I was too busy and wasn't looking for anything right now. Now I regret it
    You turn him down because he's unemployed now you regret it.

It was a stupid decision to begin with its not like you were gonna marry him tomorrow. It was just a first date, you should have given him the benefit of the doubt and left if it was unbearable.

Do you know why he's unemployed btw

Love should be unconditional in my opinion and not based on money or social class.

Since he is a graduate, he should be able to get a job soon.

ReputationRep:
    http://media.giphy.com/media/Vg0JstydL8HCg/giphy.gif

ReputationRep:
    It's not something I can get over easily though. I was brought up my whole life with my mum telling me yes you should support yourself and earn your own, but to always date a man who had a higher degree to you or earnt more than you, as like a power thing. And even for me now, a guy who has power is really attractive to me, whereas now I've found out this guy is unemployed, even though before that I quite liked him, now I'm completely put off and I can't help it
    now i aint sayin she a gold digger

ReputationRep:
    I get the power thing. It plays on the masculine roles of being dominant and the feminine roles of submission. It's natural to want someone in a more lucrative and skilled sector than yourself for someone very feminine.

ReputationRep:
    Have to laugh when students go on about unemployed people being lazy.

Unless you're doing medicine and supporting yourself, sponging off a student loan and doing as little work as possible is hardly 'work'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexLawrence1453)
    I get the power thing. It plays on the masculine roles of being dominant and the feminine roles of submission. It's natural to want someone in a more lucrative and skilled sector than yourself for someone very feminine.
    How is a man working at Tesco more dominant than an unemployed former soldier?

Most jobs have nothing to do with dominance.

ReputationRep:
    Hypergamy at work does anyone else see this ?

ReputationRep:
    Students work hard if they want too degrees, if you work extremely hard during the levels it's only natural to work hard during university. Whereas people who don't do a thing, can't be bothered to get out of bed, laze about all day long watching day time tv are not worth anything in this this world.

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JabaDaba12)
    How is a man working at Tesco more dominant than an unemployed former soldier?

Most jobs have nothing to do with dominance.
    I made a general statement. Generalisations will generally miss out the finer points and the individual cases. If that's the case we're talking about, then the Tesco employee isn't necessarily more dominant than an unemployed former soldier. He's also not necessarily less dominant, but that wasn't my point. I'm not talking about comparing men, I'm talking about comparing yourself (as a woman/sub) to a man.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.