Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
    I have already given you the answer to that in the original post.
    Exact same principle. 'Could've been the next bla bla but potential life was cut short.'

ReputationRep:
    I have already said that to be is better than not to be. Even if you're in Zimbabwe, life must go on. And it is not right to say all people in foster families or with adopted parents are not going to end up accounting to much in life. My friends dad was a drug dealer and went to jail, his mum died soon after and all his cousins were also criminals so he was raised with his aunt since he was like 2 years old. Now he is a very successful guy who owns his own business and is studying in an Ivy League university, self funded. Life can always be miserable. Even in you parents are billionaires. Even if they spend time on you 24/7. She doesn't know what is going to happen in 10 years, or even 5 years, maybe she will be in a much better situation and the baby will be too

Yes but you are talking about life. A human life. I'm all for being optimistic but you and OP need to be realistic. Your mate was lucky and beat the system. Millions of other kids who were brought into the world for the wrong reasons will become deadbeats or die without anyone even knowing they existed.*

Who knows what's going to happen but when it comes to things like this, you need to be realistic. Life COULD be better in 10 years or COULD be worse. In OP's case, life would LIKELY be better if she had an abortion or COULD be better if she had the baby. She's probably better off having an abortion now and being more likely to have a better life.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    "It" is a living growing person, and i'm sorry but a baby still in the womb does not have the status of a parasite or tumor.

If for example, i met the OP one day [knowing she was pregnant] and decided to Falcon punch her and as a result she lost the baby, I would be arrested and charged with "child destruction"
    The 'baby' is an embryo (assuming OP is still early) or a foetus. Until it is able to have a chance to survive outside the womb (aka what is usually the abortion cut off point), it is essentially no more than a parasite that relies on a host to survive. It has the possibility to become its own person once it's left the womb alive.

*I'm not even aware of there being a law in the UK regarding that but in the US it is a state law and is called 'Feticide'. However, this law apparently only covers unlawful abortions.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello. I am an 18 years old female. I found out that I was pregnant today and I'm under a month in. During the time I was with my ex and on the day that we did decide not to use a condom (very stupidly), I took a morning after pill so I thought I was safe but in the past week or so I've been getting symptoms and a lack of period that made me go to the clinic today.

I've decided that I want an abortion because of how many cons there are to pros. I know my parents would not be supportive at all, I'm not financially stable, I literally JUST got my education and my career back on track (Finally found something that I'm passionate about and have a placement secured and the next 5 years planned incl uni) AND my ex does not even want a relationship with me let alone a baby so I would feel like I'm forcing him into a situation he doesn't want to be in and I wouldn't want that feeling for the next who knows years WITH a child. I also want to make sure my child grows up in a loving environment with lots of stability and happiness and I don't think I can provide that right now.

On the other hand I just have these strong maternal instincts that I just can't shake and my heart keeps telling me to keep it. How do I deal with this emotional side of things whilst getting an abortion?
    Please keep the baby you're probably pregnant for a reason it was just meant to happen. So many couples struggle to get pregnant. A child is a blessing. You'd just feel guilty for the rest of your life knowing that you gave in to abortion. I know you said you're not financially stable but you could get a job etc YOU can make it work if you wanted it to xxx You can put uni on hold for a few years uni's allow you to do that once your child is around 1/2 you can go back to uni to do what you love

Hello. I am an 18 years old female. I found out that I was pregnant today and I'm under a month in. During the time I was with my ex and on the day that we did decide not to use a condom (very stupidly), I took a morning after pill so I thought I was safe but in the past week or so I've been getting symptoms and a lack of period that made me go to the clinic today.

I've decided that I want an abortion because of how many cons there are to pros. I know my parents would not be supportive at all, I'm not financially stable, I literally JUST got my education and my career back on track (Finally found something that I'm passionate about and have a placement secured and the next 5 years planned incl uni) AND my ex does not even want a relationship with me let alone a baby so I would feel like I'm forcing him into a situation he doesn't want to be in and I wouldn't want that feeling for the next who knows years WITH a child. I also want to make sure my child grows up in a loving environment with lots of stability and happiness and I don't think I can provide that right now.

On the other hand I just have these strong maternal instincts that I just can't shake and my heart keeps telling me to keep it. How do I deal with this emotional side of things whilst getting an abortion?
    Career back on track :lol:

At the end of the day, abortion is killing a human baby. Yes, it might be more cruel to bring it into a world you're not yet ready to become a proper part of, but only because in one scenario the child is in an unideal situation, and the other it's dead.

The choice is yours. Could you bear a human life on your conscience?

For the record, my fiancee and I have had this conversation, and if she fell pregnant we'd probably abort - for the same reason as you.

(Original post by Anna.Karenina)
    I think so, yes. It's all very well saying 'this is what I would do...' until you're actually faced with the situation. If she wants an abortion, she will likely have to have a scan to date the pregnancy; when I saw my son at my scan, I made up my mind there and then. Someone who hasn't been pregnant before cannot explain these occurrences to her.
    Did you say you were my age when this happened? Were you living with your parents during this time? Did your parents support you? Did you have to move out? Did you get a job? What qualifications did you have at the time? What qualifications were you planning to do? Were you set back in any way regarding time and education?

Also everyone saying I'm a murderer can suck my left toe Its an embryo sac or maybe even just a zygote, its barely 3mm long and its just a bunch of cells. You guys are thinking too much into the future.

I see this very early pregnancy as a bunch of raw ingredients atm, if I go through with this pregnancy then the ingredients will slowly mix and be put into an oven for it to bake and become a cake. However there are some ingredients that I am missing, the oven is broken and I don't have a bowl to mix it in. Therefore the likeness of my cake coming out successful are really low.

Sure I could go buy the ingredients and buy a new oven, but I feel that if I did that all my focus and energy would be on that (Having to move out, work how many jobs, drop out of my placement) because I want the perfect cake and I will forget about everything else that is important or put it on hold (Myself, my education, etc) which I don't want to do in the first place. So instead of me mixing the bowl (continuing with the pregnancy) and realising how f***** I am midway through, I might as well put the ingredients away and save it for when I do have all the ingredients and a working oven in the future.

Sure they wont be the exact same ingredients brands (DNA) but the point is making a perfect cake (baby) through processes (Upbringing and environment) not ingredient brands.

To me you are all saying "Please don't take the cake out of the oven, it could be a really nice cake", but to me I haven't even mixed the ingredients together.

ReputationRep:
    Did you say you were my age when this happened? Were you living with your parents during this time? Did your parents support you? Did you have to move out? Did you get a job? What qualifications did you have at the time? What qualifications were you planning to do? Were you set back in any way regarding time and education?

Also everyone saying I'm a murderer can suck my left toe Its an embryo sac or maybe even just a zygote, its barely 3mm long and its just a bunch of cells. You guys are thinking too much into the future.

I see this very early pregnancy as a bunch of raw ingredients atm, if I go through with this pregnancy then the ingredients will slowly mix and be put into an oven for it to bake and become a cake. However there are some ingredients that I am missing, the oven is broken and I don't have a bowl to mix it in. Therefore the likeness of my cake coming out successful are really low.

Sure I could go buy the ingredients and buy a new oven, but I feel that if I did that all my focus and energy would be on that (Having to move out, work how many jobs, drop out of my placement) because I want the perfect cake and I will forget about everything else that is important or put it on hold (Myself, my education, etc) which I don't want to do in the first place. So instead of me mixing the bowl (continuing with the pregnancy) and realising how f***** I am midway through, I might as well put the ingredients away and save it for when I do have all the ingredients and a working oven in the future.

Sure they wont be the exact same ingredients brands (DNA) but the point is making a perfect cake (baby) through processes (Upbringing and environment) not ingredient brands.

To me you are all saying "Please don't take the cake out of the oven, it could be a really nice cake", but to me I haven't even mixed the ingredients together.
    Okay, I know she is going through a lot and that these are pretty difficult times for her but reading that crap made me wonder:
    1. Is it delirium?
    2. Is it stupidity?
    3. Or is it evil?
    Here you are guys, these are the kinds of people who abort their children. I actually take it back go ahead and kill your baby because you don't have a heart and never ever be a mother even if you feel you are ready, you'll be a terrible one. I'm sorry I know I should be supportive and help her but I was disgusted by the way she talked about another human being. What made us be like that? Have we forgotten about humanity? Is this why children in Israel, in Africa and in Syria die and no one gives a ****?

ReputationRep:
    We are all here to give opinions.

In my opinion, your circumstances were not 'unfortunate'. It was not a forced conception. You knew what you did.

Therefore, your act can be viewed as irreversibly selfish.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that abortion is a controversial issue and we must tolerate other people's opinion. Unfortunately, by law she is totally entitled to make a choice whether or not to abort the baby and I wasn't arguing about that. I was just giving her my opinion on what to do.
    The question is to be or not to be? And I totally belive that being is better than not being no matter how unpleasant it could be which it wont by the way. We are privileged enough to live in one of richest countries in the world with free healthcare, education, child support and so on. I think it is selfish to kill another human being because of yourself and your good. The baby deserves to have opportunities in life just as much she deserves to. What if the baby was in the way of her life after birth? Can she kill her then also?
    Abortion is a selfish behaviour and I don't think she will ever be able to forgive herself.
    It quite clearly is murder

ReputationRep:

WRONG. Your analogy is highly inaccurate. UNPROTECTED SEX is the ingredients for a baby. You had that. So you've already started 'baking the cake'.

Now, you don't need to actively put any ingredients together yourself. It's already in your oven and takes 9 months to cook. You are merely a host and you will be actively destructing that natural process.

(Original post by TruthBeTold')
    WRONG. Your analogy is highly inaccurate. UNPROTECTED SEX is the ingredients for a baby. You had that. So you've already started 'baking the cake'.

Now, you don't need to actively put any ingredients together yourself. It's already in your oven and takes 9 months to cook. You are merely a host and you will be actively destructing that natural process.
    Its my analogy not yours, don't try to interpret it the way you want to as I've already explained how I see it. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Its my analogy not yours, don't try to interpret it the way you want to as I've already explained how I see it. Thanks
    You cannot 'claim' an analogy.

However, I shall let you bask in 'your' analogy even though it is highly inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Not the point, have to think about it morally, how incredible that baby could have been, could have been the next Queen for all we know.
    I didn't know OP was royalty, damn

ReputationRep:
    Honestly OP, do what you feel is best for you. Ignore the s***y comments from people trying to guilt tripping you into something you may not want to/feel ready to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You cannot 'claim' an analogy.

However, I shall let you bask in 'your' analogy even though it is highly inaccurate.
    Don't they have protests for people like you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Don't they have protests for people like you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm assuming that was your attempt at wit.

I can assure you that everyone who read your comment - including myself - forced ourselves to try and understand what you meant from various angles.

Therefore, your attempt at wit - or humour if you like - has failed.

Please try again below

ReputationRep:

He's right though, your Analogy does not make sense.

the cake is already baking in the oven, and if you sit back and do nothing in 9 months out will pop a fully formed cake.

but using a oven/cake as a metaphor for a baby is a bad one in the first place because the baby is alive even before it is born.

the reason you are getting rid of this baby is mainly down to inconvenience. Inconvenience to have and look after the baby yourself. Or inconvenience to sit and be pregnant for 9 months and give it to a family that will take care of it [adoption. ]Look at the news, there are billions of women around the world living in worst conditions than are you living in with worst opportunities in life and they have babies. You live in great brition for god sake. There's a reason so many people are willing to risk life and limb to get here. Life is so much better.

I can guarantee in your family history/Ancestors there was a female who had to raise a baby with less going for themselves than you have. The further we go back in time, the more likely it is as living standards and conditions get worst the further back in time we go.

thank god the female decided to tough it out eh and have that baby.
    else, where would that leave you?

if you could go back 2000 years or so and talk to that female who was having doubts. would you tell her not to have the baby?

I bet you won't answer that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming that was your attempt at wit.

I can assure you that everyone who read your comment - including myself - forced ourselves to try and understand what you meant from various angles.

Therefore, your attempt at wit - or humour if you like - has failed.

Please try again below
    No I mean there are people who stand outside abortion clinics screeching like banshees whilst everyone ignores them. Add that to your list of things to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    He's right though, your Analogy does not make sense.

the cake is already baking in the oven, and if you sit back and do nothing in 9 months out will pop a fully formed cake.

but using a oven/cake as a metaphor for a baby is a bad one in the first place because the baby is alive even before it is born.

the reason you are getting rid of this baby is mainly down to inconvenience. Inconvenience to have and look after the baby yourself. Or inconvenience to sit and be pregnant for 9 months and give it to a family that will take care of it [adoption. ]Look at the news, there are billions of women around the world living in worst conditions than are you living in with worst opportunities in life and they have babies. You live in great brition for god sake. There's a reason so many people are willing to risk life and limb to get here. Life is so much better.

I can guarantee in your family history/Ancestors there was a female who had to raise a baby with less going for themselves than you have. The further we go back in time, the more likely it is as living standards and conditions get worst the further back in time we go.

thank god the female decided to tough it out eh and have that baby.
    else, where would that leave you?

if you could go back 2000 years or so and talk to that female who was having doubts. would you tell her not to have the baby?

I bet you won't answer that.
    An inconvenience she can get rid of easily and the beauty of living in Great BRITAIN means she can do so without going for the old 'throwing herself down the stairs' method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The next time you wear a condom (if you're a guy) or pop a pill (if you're a girl) think about how you're destructing a natural process

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.