Corbyn's Momentum to set up a "children's wing"

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    By obvious analogy. It will stick.
    I prefer "Child Labour".

ReputationRep:
    Do you want a life of leisure, or a life of bare subsistence, instead of work?
    I want machines to do the work and humans to start living life to the full. Leisure is what we need as a break from work it is not really life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    I actually agree with this to a certain extent. But I'm sorry to say it's not gonna change anytime soon.
    Won't change at all unless we try. We need to get people to open their eyes, rather than living in a blinkered past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    I want machines to do the work and humans to start living life to the full. Leisure is what we need as a break from work it is not really life.
    The only people who think that have a job they don't enjoy and that's their fault, not "the system".

ReputationRep:
    Won't change at all unless we try. We need to get people to open their eyes, rather than living in a blinkered past.
    Or maybe the US and UK should move to more progressive, capitalist systems like ones found in Norway and stuff. It's a proven and progressive system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The only people who think that have a job they don't enjoy and that's their fault, not "the system".
    Not necessarily. Some people just can't do what they want to do with their life. It's not always possible.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe the US and UK should move to more progressive, capitalist systems like ones found in Norway and stuff. It's a proven and progressive system.
    I think that is the way it will go. It will be incremental not a sudden switch.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily. Some people just can't do what they want to do with their life. It's not always possible.
    In all likelihood it is, or at least a version of it.

It's those who lack imagination and or self discipline who don't get there - and then seek to blame others for their shortcomings.

ReputationRep:
    What I am saying is that life is not just work or the job we do, and we could have a society where very few 'jobs' are necessary.
    Currently very few people have a real choice about the job they do. It is very hard to switch to a different career. Nearly 80% of people are either indifferent about or hate their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    In all likelihood it is, or at least a version of it.

It's those who lack imagination and or self discipline who don't get there - and then seek to blame others for their shortcomings.
    I would also add confidence, self esteem, drive/ambition to that list.
    It really sucks too if you come from a poor background.

ReputationRep:
    I would also add confidence, self esteem, drive/ambition to that list.
    It really sucks too if you come from a poor background.
    Again, just excuses. All of those can be developed, built on, improved. Nobody is given a finite amount of them when they're born and everybody has an entire lifetime to build on it.

That some don't is not the fault of others.

What I am saying is that life is not just work or the job we do, and we could have a society where very few 'jobs' are necessary.
    Currently very few people have a real choice about the job they do. It is very hard to switch to a different career. Nearly 80% of people are either indifferent about or hate their jobs.
    You're talking about jobs that manual labour / "menial", but in a country like ours those are pretty few in comparison.

Would you want to be taught by a robot? Would you want your illness to be diagnosed by a robot? Would you want your elderly population to be looked after by robots?

Many of those roles are considered not just jobs but callings by those who do them. You ignore them because, seemingly, you dislike the very nature of working.

Everybody has a choice. And more people than ever are switching careers not just once but twice or three times. I've gone through 4 very different job sectors in a little over 10 years and I'm not unusual at all.

Life doesn't have to be about working for a red line in an accounts book, absolutely. But to suggest you shouldn't work at all is arrant adolescent nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! You want other people to invest in machines, maintain them and replace them at the end of their lives so that you can enjoy yourself and freeload on the fruits of their labour and capital investment. Dream on!

ReputationRep:
    You're talking about jobs that manual labour / "menial", but in a country like ours those are pretty few in comparison.
    Would you want to be taught by a robot? Would you want your illness to be diagnosed by a robot? Would you want your elderly population to be looked after by robots?
    Manual/menial labour have been the first to be mechanised, but teaching and medical jobs are already being done by computers. One of the main areas of medicine to be improved by computers is diagnosis. Things are changing very fast now. The more that is done by robots the less we need to work. With more free time,assisted by technology, we can care for our own elderly friends and relatives.

Many of those roles are considered not just jobs but callings by those who do them. You ignore them because, seemingly, you dislike the very nature of working.
    I have nothing against people working by choice, and there will continue to be a small number of 'jobs' that will need people to do them. We have already stopped doing lots of jobs. Agricultural work went from more than half the population to less than 3% already. We have been conditioned that our 'value' is the work we do, but this is not what life is for.

Life doesn't have to be about working for a red line in an accounts book, absolutely. But to suggest you shouldn't work at all is arrant adolescent nonsense.
    Imagine if you were brought up as a child knowing that whatever you wanted to do with your life you could go in that direction. Would you be doing what you are doing now? Would many of us think 'I want to spend my life working in a supermarket, or collecting bins, sell insurance etc. or any of the dull or dirty jobs that so many do?
    Not wanting everyone to have to spend the bulk of their lives working just to provide the things they need is not nonsense, and with current and future technology is readily attainable.

ReputationRep:
    Ah! You want other people to invest in machines, maintain them and replace them at the end of their lives so that you can enjoy yourself and freeload on the fruits of their labour and capital investment. Dream on!
    I want the fruits of my labour and the rest of the nations labour to invest in machines, and have machines maintain and replace them. That way we free ourselves from being machines, and become humans with the maximum amount of choice about what we do with our lives.

ReputationRep:
    I want the fruits of my labour and the rest of the nations labour to invest in machines, and have machines maintain and replace them. That way we free ourselves from being machines, and become humans with the maximum amount of choice about what we do with our lives.
    The fruits of your labour are yours do do with as you will. Will these fruits be enough to design, manufacture operate and maintain these expensive machines? Or do you think you need a little bit more capital to allow you to do so?

I can see large corporations investing in such machines and doing away with the need for your labour. Perhaps you need to buy shares in a few.

If you expect these wealthy individuals or large corporations to invest heavily to give you a free ride I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if you were brought up as a child knowing that whatever you wanted to do with your life you could go in that direction.
    I was.

Don't equate your evidently *****y childhood with that of everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    The fruits of your labour are yours do do with as you will. Will these fruits be enough to design, manufacture operate and maintain these expensive machines? Or do you think you need a little bit more capital to allow you to do so?

I can see large corporations investing in such machines and doing away with the need for your labour. Perhaps you need to buy shares in a few.

If you expect these wealthy individuals or large corporations to invest heavily to give you a free ride I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed.
    If we nationalise production, that way we will all be shareholders, rather than leaving things in the hands of the already wealthy, we can all have a free ride. Machines don't need pay. Its a bit like using the roads to get from A to B, we don't all think, what a freeloader I am for using them. We recognise that they are part of what the nation has provided rather than any individual.

ReputationRep:
    I was.

Don't equate your evidently *****y childhood with that of everyone else.
    So what are you doing with your life?

ReputationRep:
    So what are you doing with your life?
    What I've chosen to.

Don't project your issues onto other people, you make yourself sound like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    If we nationalise production, that way we will all be shareholders, rather than leaving things in the hands of the already wealthy, we can all have a free ride. Machines don't need pay. Its a bit like using the roads to get from A to B, we don't all think, what a freeloader I am for using them. We recognise that they are part of what the nation has provided rather than any individual.
    You do realise nationalisation involves buying the companies concerned, don't you? Where will the money come from to buy the companies you plan to nationalise?

If you really plan to confiscate rather than nationalise them, have you thought through whether they would be likely to invest just to have your totalitarian government confiscate their assets before they can make a return on those assets?

How would you like all your assets to be confiscated?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.