Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Oxford tops THE world rankings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    You are making zero sense. You recognized that you were in no position whatsoever to make that judgement yet you laughed at the face of people who relied on experts. You are like those who would argue with physicians on medical treatments, with biologists on evolution, and judges on the law. Of course you can be the one who is correct on certain and all matters, but the likelihood of that is marvellously tiny.

According to the Research Excellent Framework, with a panel of esteemed professors from all over the world, Oxford has the highest quality of research.

Quality of teaching is less easy to find an authority to judge, but according to the students themselves, Oxford has the highest satisfaction rate with its teaching (whilst Cambridge is in fact No 11 in the UK).

Quality of graduates in the workplace, as judged by employers with data provided by QS, once again puts Oxford on top.

Going by fame, it's even less of a contest - Oxford is more known internationally and more influential, judging from its Wikipedia page views to Facebook likes and engagements.

I am, indeed, no-one, just like you. But the difference between you and me is that even though we both recognized the fact that we were not qualified to judge, you were the one who somehow still did.

And perhaps you can save your lecture, considering the fact that I've read at 4 universities in 3 continents, teaching in a 4th continent, and was an international student going into the UK, I'm pretty sure I'm much more aware of the existence of universities world-wide than you are; and I dare say, more familiar with them than you are.
    Since you are keen on relying on the experts:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Doesn't look like Oxford is the best, pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    Since you are keen on relying on the experts:
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ables/rankings

Doesn't look like Oxford is the best, pal.

If we consider ranking in itself an expert, then we will have to consider ALL of them. When we consider all of them, we will find Oxford not No 1 in the world (Harvard is) but it's still No 1 in Europe. That is, unless you can explain how CUG is more of an expert than THE is.

CUG did not consult any expert - they didn't have input from academics to judge quality of research, they didn't have input from educationists to judge quality of teaching, they didn't have input from employers to judge quality of graduates in the workplace. THE did - it consulted academics and employers. This is why I can disregard CUG ever if I'm holding on to THE (which I'm not to begin with) but you can't disregard THE when you're holding on to CUG.

And didn't you say we need to look at universities in the world? Why are you using a domestic table to counter a global one then? Judging from your posts, you don't seem to be able to form proper arguments, probably couldn't comprehend arguments (since you didn't actually respond properly - I've never claimed rankings to be authorities in and of themselves), but at least be consistent!

ReputationRep:
    If we consider ranking in itself an expert, then we will have to consider ALL of them. When we consider all of them, we will find Oxford not No 1 in the world (Harvard is) but it's still No 1 in Europe. That is, unless you can explain how CUG is more of an expert than THE is.

CUG did not consult any expert - they didn't have input from academics to judge quality of research, they didn't have input from educationists to judge quality of teaching, they didn't have input from employers to judge quality of graduates in the workplace. THE did - it consulted academics and employers. This is why I can disregard CUG ever if I'm holding on to THE (which I'm not to begin with) but you can't disregard THE when you're holding on to CUG.

And didn't you say we need to look at universities in the world? Why are you using a domestic table to counter a global one then? Judging from your posts, you don't seem to be able to form proper arguments, probably couldn't comprehend arguments (since you didn't actually respond properly - I've never claimed rankings to be authorities in and of themselves), but at least be consistent!
    You're calling me confused and you're asking why I'm using a 'domestic table' rather than a global one, are you that stupid that you can't figure it out? If Oxford isn't the highest on a domestic table it clearly isn't going to be the highest on a global one lmfao (Unless you really believe THE)

Clearly you go to Oxford and got rejected by Cambridge; not to mention not good enough to get into Harvard.
    Either way, you a right in that any ranking has flaws, regardless of if they have had input by so called 'professionals', there is no way anyone can judge every uni in the world and rank them- it's far to subjective. Although saying that, i'm sure the majority agree with me re Oxford not being the best globally, for sure.

ReputationRep:
    You're calling me confused and you're asking why I'm using a 'domestic table' rather than a global one, are you that stupid that you can't figure it out? If Oxford isn't the highest on a domestic table it clearly isn't going to be the highest on a global one lmfao (Unless you really believe THE)

Clearly you go to Oxford and got rejected by Cambridge; not to mention not good enough to get into Harvard.
    Either way, you a right in that any ranking has flaws, regardless of if they have had input by so called 'professionals', there is no way anyone can judge every uni in the world and rank them- it's far to subjective. Although saying that, i'm sure the majority agree with me re Oxford not being the best globally, for sure.
    lmfao

Why can't it be the other way round? That it's at the top on a global ranking so it can't be correctly not No 1 on a domestic one? Are you able to comprehend an argument? I clearly stated that:

1. if we believe rankings to be authorities, then we have to consider ALL, not just any particular one of them;
    2. I don't believe rankings to be authorities, but I clearly stated that I believe academics are authorities in quality of research and employers are authorities in quality of employees. The Complete University Guide measures neither.

Oh and considering the fact that I've never applied to any American university for anything, of course I "didn't get into" Harvard. But it's interesting how you're just making up personal assumptions to attack me instead of actually forming an argument and offering rebuttals to mine.

---

To make it clearer for you, since you're obviously lacking the intelligence to understand this: To say CUG is a better reflection of the quality of the universities compared to THE (or all global rankings in general, where Oxford is above Cambridge), you have to establish at least:

1. Quality of research has nothing to do with whether a university is good, or that academics cannot judge quality of research but you can;
    2. employers' opinions have nothing to do with whether a university is good, or that employers cannot judge quality of employees but you can.

Because by some rankings, and I clearly stated not just THE, academics believe Oxford to be producing better research and employers believe Oxford to be producing better graduates.

Also, I didn't say you were "confused". I said you were inconsistent - if you believe there to be a need to look at universities all over the world to judge the quality of a university, then you will have to logically disregard domestic tables which by default don't judge universities by looking at universities all over the world.

I in fact have been to both Oxford and Cambridge and did have a better experience at the latter than the former (never went to any US university so I don't know), but despite that and in spite of the fact that I'm actually an education professional/educator/educationalist, unlike you, I know that my personal, limited opinion on courses that are probably not comparable cannot be used to assert a claim that one is better than the other. Let alone when I should need to consider other aspects such as quality of research, which I'm much more qualified than you, but still not sufficiently qualified to do.

I don't know what will happen if you conduct a global survey to ask every single person's opinion on which university being better, but I can see that the significantly higher number of applications receive, significantly higher numbers of social network followers, and significantly higher interest on the internet in general for Oxford probably means Oxford will win over Cambridge. Harvard will still likely win the battle by a margin by can't see how this can be relevant on a global scale when the US has a much, much bigger population with a much, much stronger cultural influence on the world, especially outside the Anglosphere. Comparing global general public reputation of the universities to make a judgement on which university is better is like saying George W Bush is much more popular than any British prime minister because he received many more votes than any PM had.

Understand?

ReputationRep:
    lmfao

Why can't it be the other way round? That it's at the top on a global ranking so it can't be correctly not No 1 on a domestic one? Are you able to comprehend an argument? I clearly stated that:

1. if we believe rankings to be authorities, then we have to consider ALL, not just any particular one of them;
    2. I don't believe rankings to be authorities, but I clearly stated that I believe academics are authorities in quality of research and employers are authorities in quality of employees. The Complete University Guide measures neither.

Oh and considering the fact that I've never applied to any American university for anything, of course I "didn't get into" Harvard. But it's interesting how you're just making up personal assumptions to attack me instead of actually forming an argument and offering rebuttals to mine.

---

To make it clearer for you, since you're obviously lacking the intelligence to understand this: To say CUG is a better reflection of the quality of the universities compared to THE (or all global rankings in general, where Oxford is above Cambridge), you have to establish at least:

1. Quality of research has nothing to do with whether a university is good, or that academics cannot judge quality of research but you can;
    2. employers' opinions have nothing to do with whether a university is good, or that employers cannot judge quality of employees but you can.

Because by some rankings, and I clearly stated not just THE, academics believe Oxford to be producing better research and employers believe Oxford to be producing better graduates.

Also, I didn't say you were "confused". I said you were inconsistent - if you believe there to be a need to look at universities all over the world to judge the quality of a university, then you will have to logically disregard domestic tables which by default don't judge universities by looking at universities all over the world.

I in fact have been to both Oxford and Cambridge and did have a better experience at the latter than the former (never went to any US university so I don't know), but despite that and in spite of the fact that I'm actually an education professional/educator/educationalist, unlike you, I know that my personal, limited opinion on courses that are probably not comparable cannot be used to assert a claim that one is better than the other. Let alone when I should need to consider other aspects such as quality of research, which I'm much more qualified than you, but still not sufficiently qualified to do.

I don't know what will happen if you conduct a global survey to ask every single person's opinion on which university being better, but I can see that the significantly higher number of applications receive, significantly higher numbers of social network followers, and significantly higher interest on the internet in general for Oxford probably means Oxford will win over Cambridge. Harvard will still likely win the battle by a margin by can't see how this can be relevant on a global scale when the US has a much, much bigger population with a much, much stronger cultural influence on the world, especially outside the Anglosphere. Comparing global general public reputation of the universities to make a judgement on which university is better is like saying George W Bush is much more popular than any British prime minister because he received many more votes than any PM had.

Understand?
    Yeah, Understood sorry

ReputationRep:

Tbh all those unis; oxf, cam, ucb, princeton theyre all fabulous places to study doesnt really matter every league table has a different one of them as no.1 but theyre pretty similar i think

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.