Is Islamophobia a problem in the UK?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everyone thinks they are being discriminated against. It's human nature to think that you're the oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    In my school, we all make jokes about different races equally. Equality? haha.
    "race"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonecenter)
    But that is the same for any religion, not just Islam. There will always be peace and violence. Always be tolerance and intolerance.
    But not every other religion claims to be "the Religion of Peace", whose followers deny that there are any passages that could encourage violence, intolerance and oppression.

And I made my point clear earlier and I'm not going back on it. If you respect me, then I will respect you.
    But I don't know you, so how can I respect you. And I certainly don't expect you to respect me, because likewise, you do not know me. But that was not the question.

I asked you whether your position is:
    A) The quran, its message, and the example of Muhammad are perfect, timeless and universal, or
    B) Homosexuality is acceptable and it is wrong to oppress or target gays in any way.

So, which is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyClare99)
    IUltimately, Islam is not frightening,
    Try telling that to the millions living in the lands conquered during the centuries of Islamic empire. Or to gays or apostates in places like Saudi Arabia, Iran or Bangladesh. Try telling that to the Yazidis in Syria and Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashaibrahim5)
    Yes some do actually. Not so much in the UK but America for sure. Also, just because it's not being recorded doesn't mean it's not happening. I was also referring to racism BTW
    So you agree that Muslims in the west are not facing daily oppression?
    Then why did you say it. If you meant that some people experience racism, that's what you should have said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ELVsLP)
    you hear it behind peoples screens all the time

but in public? :rofl: you're joking right?

no one in the UK has got the balls to openly discriminate against them!
    So there are no Islamophibic attacks on Muslims IRL?

So why do we hearing that there are?

And do you mean that no one would have the balls to criticise Islami IRL? Why is that? What do you suppose might happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Oh some definitely do, but quite often that ends up being muslim women and it's usually muslim men doing the oppression.
    I think it is quite reasonable to argue that Muslims are often more likely to face oppression in Muslim countries than in the west.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    But not every other religion claims to be "the Religion of Peace", whose followers deny that there are any passages that could encourage violence, intolerance and oppression.

But I don't know you, so how can I respect you. And I certainly don't expect you to respect me, because likewise, you do not know me. But that was not the question.

I asked you whether your position is:
    A) The quran, its message, and the example of Muhammad are perfect, timeless and universal, or
    B) Homosexuality is acceptable and it is wrong to oppress or target gays in any way.

So, which is it?
    I don't expect you to, yet I follow the Qur'an and it's message, but allow other people who inhabit this Earth to do as they please. And you can decide to twist it however you wish, but that's where I stand. And yes, I am allowed to have both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    "race"?
    race, class and religion mostly.

ReputationRep:
    It's a problem all over Europe now and it was expected that it will be after the massive refugee waves.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think there is islamiphobia but at the end of the day i am muslim and i respect every religion out there, because i deserve to be respected too. In the world there are good muslims but there are also bad and this is the case for every religion aswell. There are good christians and bad. There are good jews and bad. Etc
    We just have to deal with everyone with the same respect because we would want to be respected too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect you to, yet I follow the Qur'an and it's message, but allow other people who inhabit this Earth to do as they please. And you can decide to twist it however you wish, but that's where I stand. And yes, I am allowed to have both.
    It's not "twisting" to say that Islam promotes intolerence, it's just a fact. However, I do respect your stance not to believe in those passages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmirahxRashid)
    I personally think there is islamiphobia but at the end of the day i am muslim and i respect every religion out there, because i deserve to be respected too. In the world there are good muslims but there are also bad and this is the case for every religion aswell. There are good christians and bad. There are good jews and bad. Etc
    We just have to deal with everyone with the same respect because we would want to be respected too.
    I agree with the statement in bold. That shouldn't have to be said, but it is a pronounced problem in society, unfortunately (unless the individuals have behaved as such that they do not deserve respect, but that is often not the case)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    It's not "twisting" to say that Islam promotes intolerence, it's just a fact. However, I do respect your stance not to believe in those passages.
    Thank you. At least somebody does.
    I'm not going to go and preach hate, nor am I going to promote it. At the end of the day we are all human, and can do as we choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    So you agree that Muslims in the west are not facing daily oppression?
    Then why did you say it. If you meant that some people experience racism, that's what you should have said.
    Can you read? I clearly said some are facing daily Islamophobia depending on where they live. I said the UK isn't so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    I agree with the statement in bold. That shouldn't have to be said, but it is a pronounced problem in society, unfortunately (unless the individuals have behaved as such that they do not deserve respect, but that is often not the case)
    Thats really true unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, if the Sunnis in this country acted like the Ahmadiyyans there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately they just ostracise and make them outcasts.

ReputationRep:
    So you claim the Quran and example of Muhammad is perfect, yet at the same time you claim that the Quran and Muhammad were wrong about homosexuality.

How do you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmirahxRashid)
    How do you define a "good Muslim"? Is it someone who regards the Quran and Muhammad's example as perfect, timeless and universal? Or is it someone who accepts that parts of them are no longer applicable or acceptable in modern, civilised society?

No we don't. Why would you treat a wife-beating drug dealer with the same respect as a volunteer aid worker? Why would you treat Donald Trump with the same respect as Barack Obama? We should treat people with the respect that they deserve, and that is most definitely not always the same! It is determined by their words and deeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    So you claim the Quran and example of Muhammad is perfect, yet at the same time you claim that the Quran and Muhammad were wrong about homosexuality.

How do you do that?
    By not over complicating things, and using my free will to dictate how I run my life.
    And I'd like you to respect my choices.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which is the best season?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.