Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black lives matter or All lives matter? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoodleDee)
    They're trying to create equality of how black people are treated in general- the police brutality has just sparked it and opened peoples eyes to it more. It can't be denied that black people have ever been seen as equals - would you say they are?
    Black people in our society are seen as equal. Police brutality happens to everyone and you cannot say its more common with Black people (for no reason) and that is because proportionally they commit more crime and two because there are more white deaths anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacarch12)
    I have honestly no clue how you got to the conclusion that I would be against those things.
    I'm going to pretend that there's no way you can be this dense.

You want it, go make it. BLM wasn't made by a group of people sitting at home, wishing someone else would do something.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    But its the exact same issue, more White people are killed year on year by police, maybe BLM doesn't really need to exist when the general problem is either criminals or the police force and not an issue of race?
    If you actually do a bit of thinking and realise that there are not equal numbers of white and black people in America, you find out that black Americans are 250% more likely to be shot by a police office than a white American. Black Americans are 500% more likely to be shot whilst unarmed (source).

So I think you will find that there is a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Do you hear yourself, 99% of people dont care? You need to come down to Earth. Many people care hence why I am saying all lives matter.
    I'm sorry I cant tear down an establishment that large, just not part of my daily schedule really.
    You cretin lol. Black lives matter includes all lives matter. It's like saying save the sharks - does that mean all the other species don't matter? No, it's just they need help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    I'm going to pretend that there's no way you can be this dense.

You want it, go make it. BLM wasn't made by a group of people sitting at home, wishing someone else would do something.
    Likewise, your mental gymnastics amuse me.

How me having an opinion on Black lives matter and repeatedly saying All lives matter led you to think I would be against something like that is honestly mental gymnastics, you should sit for a few minutes and think to yourself am I thinking with logic or heard mentality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    If you actually do a bit of thinking and realise that there are not equal numbers of white and black people in America, you find out that black Americans are 250% more likely to be shot by a police office than a white American. Black Americans are 500% more likely to be shot whilst unarmed (source).

So I think you will find that there is a problem.
    But the numbers are real dead people, the likelihood is less relevant in comparison the actual amount of people killed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    But the numbers are real dead people, the likelihood is less relevant in comparison the actual amount of people killed.
    ...no, it isn't. That's like arguing that GDP tells you more than GDP per capita about quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    You cretin lol. Black lives matter includes all lives matter. It's like saying save the sharks - does that mean all the other species don't matter? No, it's just they need help.
    No black lives matter, is an exclusive group dont lie to me. When Bernie Sanders was asked if all lives matter or Black lives matter, he said Black, that confirms at least from one person that the group is focused on an exclusive group, if it wasn't, then why would it have the word BLACK in it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    ...no, it isn't. That's like arguing that GDP tells you more than GDP per capita about quality of life.
    GDP per capita and GDP nominal tell you the exact same thing about quality of life, as GDP per capita is calculated from NOMINAL GDP divided by the population, it just gives each person an equal share of the nominal GDP. I can tell you really tried on that one though.

ReputationRep:
    Black people in our society are seen as equal. Police brutality happens to everyone and you cannot say its more common with Black people (for no reason) and that is because proportionally they commit more crime and two because there are more white deaths anyway.
    Black people are absolutely not seen as equal. People of colour in general are not seen as equal as white people.
    I didn't say the brutality is more common with black people. I said that people are using the recent incidences as a platform to showcase unequal treatment that has been happening for years.
    I am beyond words that you feel black people, or anyone of colour, are treated as equals.

ReputationRep:
    Black people are absolutely not seen as equal. People of colour in general are not seen as equal as white people.
    I didn't say the brutality is more common with black people. I said that people are using the recent incidences as a platform to showcase unequal treatment that has been happening for years.
    I am beyond words that you feel black people, or anyone of colour, are treated as equals.
    I am black mate.

Does that mean I represent all blacks? No it doesn't. But from my perspective, western societies are almost equal if not equal across all races religions etc...

ReputationRep:
    I am black mate.
    Then words fail me even more. Literally what world are you living in

ReputationRep:
    Then words fail me even more. Literally what world are you living in
    I'm living in the world I see around me, when I work, when I go to university when I see people commit crime...

Is that so hard to believe?

ReputationRep:
    I'm living in the world I see around me, when I work, when I go to university when I see people commit crime...
    I'm probably wasting my time but I want to try understand where you're coming from.
    Putting aside the fact that yes black people commit crime- as all races do, and yes other races are killed by police, have you really convinced yourself that people of colour in general are treated as equal parts to white people?

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean I represent all blacks? No it doesn't. But from my perspective, western societies are almost equal if not equal across all races religions etc...
    Then you live a very sheltered delusional life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavrick388)
    The phrase was made for rhetoric effect. Just search all the police shootings of innocent African-Americans and all should be clear.
    Why not research all police shootings? And when you compare the numbers you compare them to the % of criminal activity?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    This 'Black Lives Matter vs All Lives Matter' shenanigan has gone too far. BLM exists to make the injustice faced by African-Americans apparent.

Preaching about 'All Lives Matter' belittles this. Of course all lives matter. There just has to be a focus on 'black' ones right now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably wasting my time but I want to try understand where you're coming from.
    Putting aside the fact that yes black people commit crime- as all races do, and yes other races are killed by police, have you really convinced yourself that people of colour in general are treated as equal parts to white people?
    Yes, because the numbers show that if both white and black races committed crime proportionally then shootings would also be proportional too meaning Blacks wouldn't be killed any more than whites.

Honestly the days are gone where people will go and look for a black man to kill.

So yes, they are treated equally. Other aspects such as opportunity in society may be unequal which may lead to unequal proportion in crime for Blacks over whites however, Crime is Crime and if you dont commit it and work hard, you have an equal chance. And that is why I think there is more equality in the USA than you think.

The USA is in a time right now with the most diverse society and equilibrium it has been for a long time, all this uproar seems unnecessary and yes there are things to be worked on, but lets work on it together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavrick388)
    Even if your source is valid, like i said before blacks make up only 15% of the population. Anyway, PROPORTIONALLY police related death rates are much higher for blacks than whites.
    Not when you look at criminal activity to deaths by cop, the only time when blacks come out as being killed more is by population as they commit around 40% of serious violent crime including 52% of murders

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conceited)
    This 'Black Lives Matter vs All Lives Matter' shenanigan has gone too far. BLM exists to make the injustice faced by African-Americans apparent.

Preaching about 'All Lives Matter' belittles this. Of course all lives matter. There just has to be a focus on 'black' ones right now.
    Why the focus when more whites are dying though? Death is real. Dont dismiss white deaths just because proportionally they're less common, theres BY FREQUENCY MORE WHICH IS A FACTOR.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.