Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

feminists

ReputationRep:
    the movement is fine, its some of the representatives who are ruining it

ReputationRep:
    The core idea is pretty good. I personally support equality between the sexes, as I'm sure most people do.

That being said, feminism in the western world is actually a mess. For a start, it has an incredibly vocal minority of absolute madtings who believe everything revolves around the mystical "patriarchy". They're absolute loonies, not the best start.

Moving onto the more sane ones, the main inequality issues I see appear to be entirely fabricated. There's the overhyped "rape epidemic" which in effect doesn't exist but has gotten everywhere anyway due to incredibly dubious statistics that very few feminists bother to actually fact check. Then there's the pay gap, which has been explained numerous times to be due to choice. Those that accept that then decide they need to fix this gap anyway, despite it not being a problem as nobody is getting paid 'unfairly' so to speak, and go about asking why there aren't more women in STEM degrees and such, when the obvious answer is that generally they just don't want to. If they wanted to do it and were suited to do it, they'd do it. You can't expect equality of outcome when everybody has freedom of choice and there's basic inherent differences between what blokes and the womenz are good at. Same goes for inequalities in certain jobs, like parliament and such. Government can't get a 50/50 split between men and women if the women aren't running and everybody votes in the men.

So once those big issues are disregarded, what do we have left for women to get annoyed about? Beauty standards, which are entirely subjective issue that's a waste of time getting worked up over, proportional representation in the media, which is in effect more women for the sake of more women rather than anything actually important, and video games doing women apparently wrongly, because virtual people being conventionally attractive is an absolute atrocity. Meanwhile males are hugely under-performing in education, the biggest killer of men under 45 is suicide, and courts treat mean unfairly in cases of divorce, none of which are given much attention by the biggest movement for sex equality in the world as priority is given to fabrications and petty bs.

Overall, I can't reasonably identify as a feminist despite liking the core idea due to the fact that as a movement, it's a bit crap. The only physical thing I've seen them actually do in most recent years is getting patronising consent classes thrown around in an effort to come up with the wrong solution to an overstated problem, and helping to legitimise Milo Yiannopoulos' heavily annoying opportunistic venture with edgy teens.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mad respect to the feminists outside of the western trying to do actually useful things and sort out issues that are serious and not made up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    The core idea is pretty good. I personally support equality between the sexes, as I'm sure most people do.

That being said, feminism in the western world is actually a mess. For a start, it has an incredibly vocal minority of absolute madtings who believe everything revolves around the mystical "patriarchy". They're absolute loonies, not the best start.

Moving onto the more sane ones, the main inequality issues I see appear to be entirely fabricated. There's the overhyped "rape epidemic" which in effect doesn't exist but has gotten everywhere anyway due to incredibly dubious statistics that very few feminists bother to actually fact check. Then there's the pay gap, which has been explained numerous times to be due to choice. Those that accept that then decide they need to fix this gap anyway, despite it not being a problem as nobody is getting paid 'unfairly' so to speak, and go about asking why there aren't more women in STEM degrees and such, when the obvious answer is that generally they just don't want to. If they wanted to do it and were suited to do it, they'd do it. You can't expect equality of outcome when everybody has freedom of choice and there's basic inherent differences between what blokes and the womenz are good at. Same goes for inequalities in certain jobs, like parliament and such. Government can't get a 50/50 split between men and women if the women aren't running and everybody votes in the men.

So once those big issues are disregarded, what do we have left for women to get annoyed about? Beauty standards, which are entirely subjective issue that's a waste of time getting worked up over, proportional representation in the media, which is in effect more women for the sake of more women rather than anything actually important, and video games doing women apparently wrongly, because virtual people being conventionally attractive is an absolute atrocity. Meanwhile males are hugely under-performing in education, the biggest killer of men under 45 is suicide, and courts treat mean unfairly in cases of divorce, none of which are given much attention by the biggest movement for sex equality in the world as priority is given to fabrications and petty bs.

Overall, I can't reasonably identify as a feminist despite liking the core idea due to the fact that as a movement, it's a bit crap. The only physical thing I've seen them actually do in most recent years is getting patronising consent classes thrown around in an effort to come up with the wrong solution to an overstated problem, and helping to legitimise Milo Yiannopoulos' heavily annoying opportunistic venture with edgy teens.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mad respect to the feminists outside of the western trying to do actually useful things and sort out issues that are serious and not made up.
    See emboldened - know of any evidence that these inherent differences are actually able to account for the discrepancies we know to exist, such as the pay gap and women in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    See emboldened - know of any evidence that these inherent differences are actually able to account for the discrepancies we know to exist, such as the pay gap and women in science?
    Not off the top of my head, no. Best I can do is anecdotal, really.

ReputationRep:
    feminism is an intellectual blackhole. it is devoid of facts and it makesup its own. t is desiring to portray women as oppressed in an age where women are basically the most privileged class of person in history (save for plutocrats, kings, nobles, etc). they have all the benefits of "patriarchy" and all the benefits of equality, whereas men have to have the worst of both. so they are clearly just desperately trying to find ways to construct themselves as oppressed and they look ridiculous trying - it is clearly not about advancing women who have objectively more rights than men - it's about blaming any kind of perceived female shortcoming in society as men's fault - women choose less lucrative career paths and work less lucrative/lengthly work hours? PATRIARCHY! 90%+ of all inmates are males? oh well errr that's errr the patriarchy works in mysterious ways!! (now they sound as delusional as christians!)

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.