Can you swim?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    I wore a wetsuit and I prepared myself mentally for the shock. I got trained to do it by my Triathlon team at University. University is a great place to practice swimming and triathlon.
    Do you recommend any particular brand?

Also swimming in the Thames, were you not worried about getting ill?

Thank you for the tip though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Me too :five: if only it wasn't so far away and expensive I'd go like every morning to keep fit
    that is
    AWESOME :ahee:
    He isn't around any longer sadly but if I was to be inspired by anyone to swim it would be by him

Can you not get a student discount or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Do you recommend any particular brand?

Also swimming in the Thames, were you not worried about getting ill?

Thank you for the tip though
    Mines an Orca which I got from Sigma sport who were very helpful. It really depends on what works for you because you'll need space in your shoulders to move otherwise you're gonna have a hard time.

The area we swam in was 'treated' before the race but I have had lots of jabs for my work and they say to have a coke after the race to kill everything in your stomach. I definitely swallowed water but the hardest part for me was keeping track of where I was going and not getting too dizzy. Also getting hit was a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingGoonIan)
    -snip- have a coke after the race to kill everything in your stomach.
    Funny, they never mention that in the adverts :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Funny, they never mention that in the adverts :unsure:
    Dunno how true it is but its sort of a tradition heh.

They like to go on a lot about Happiness in their adverts...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    He isn't around any longer sadly but if I was to be inspired by anyone to swim it would be by him

Can you not get a student discount or anything?
    Oh, sorry to hear that May he Rest In Peace :rip:
    That's incredible though. I wish my Grandad was that cool
    Idk - unfortunately idc enough atm :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I agree with you but it's actually not necessarily all that easy to get back up onto a vessel should you go man over board. I remember when I went sailing in the Solent a few years ago & the policy was to inform the coastguard immediately if someone fell in the sea before trying to rescue them ourselves.
    Otherwise the person would probably be dead due to hypothermia before the coastguard could arrive. To boats we were using were probably only about 20ft long but if you fell off of one you'd stand no chance of climbing back in without help from personnel still on board.
    Trying to steer any boat bigger than a dingy into a position to rescue someone in cold, choppy seas isn't a task I'd want to try either.

I know I've kinda gone off topic but in certain circumstances then the ability to swim in somewhat irrelevant if the water temperature is too cold. If I fell into a canal on a British summer day I'd like to think I'd definitely be fine. If I did the same in mid winter then I'd be worried how I'd react to the initial shock of it & then the following dangers of hypothermia even if I managed to get ashore.
    My point was more: STAY ON THE FRICKING BOAT. Or yknow, die.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Forget anything I've done since, my 400m backstroke badge remains my most highly prized achievement!

ReputationRep:
    I used to love swimming but haven't been for years.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How has Barack Obama performed as POTUS?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.