British universities vs Dutch universities

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Why are you trying to put the OP off? MrsSheldonCooper seems far more prepared and capable than you give her credit for, and the Netherlands' higher education system is not that dissimilar to the UKs anyway, she will be fine.
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Just been reading this thread and there are a few things I would like to address. First of all, for reference, I'm studying in the UK, but I grew up in Holland, and know a thing or two about the Dutch university system through information we got at school and through my friends from secondary school who are now studying at Dutch universities.

My first point: I feel like there is some scaremongering going on here (not going to name any names). Holland is not the other side of the world, you don't need to worry at all about half the stuff you've been warned about. English is the least of your problems, London to Amsterdam is a 45 minute flight, so if you do feel homesick, you can go home for the weekend, etc.

As for the workload, I don't think it's harder than Britain. Most of the students who drop out do so because they themselves choose to (because they don't like the course). A lot of people in Holland make little effort to properly choose their subject, this is the cause of most of the dropouts, not some kind of super high requirement. What you need to take into account when comparing grades is that in Holland the pass mark is 55 or 60 out of 100 on an exam, the 80 you mentioned may refer to 80% of the total number of points you can get in a year. I'm not 100% on how those work, but I believe passing the exam means you get the points for that subject, which would mean that you need to pass at least 80% of your subjects in first year. Another thing I would like to mention is that it is not uncommon for students in the Netherlands to spend an extra (half) year doing the course if they need extra time to complete their degree (check your uni's website for this). Of course, you'll want to do it in the normal time, but I'm just trying to say that Dutch unis don't really do the whole kicking people out thing so much.

As for the Amsterdam vs Groningen issue, the pros and cons I would like to mention are:
    Amsterdam:
    Pros: near the airport, near many other major cities, big city, good uni, lots of foreigners, lots of culture
    Cons: most expensive to get accommodation and accommodation is hardest to find (Holland doesn't have halls, it's all private or fraternity (which I would not recommend)), big city

Groningen:
    Pros: nice student town, good uni, accommodation should be easier to find and cheaper
    Cons: relatively far away from other cities/major airport, not the most international part of the country (though you'll still get by fine even without Dutch)

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask any specific questions.
    Okay good points. I understand that degrees in Holland are similar to those here in the UK. But if i can go anything by the degree i did, as anything to go by, it was more then just a little bit of work here and then to pass. That is the point i was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Oh yeah you did! Yeah my course is Linguistics and Dutch (if I was fluent in Dutch I could learn French ). What do you mean by the bolded bit though?
    What job do you want? I'm applying for chemistry at Groningen, and I have the same questions as you.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...-rankings/2016

http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=

hmm interesting they actually have one or two universities which is good for maths, and world class both generally and for maths. I guess If I can't get into Cambridge, Imperial or Warwick they may be worth a looksi

wonder what their grade requirements would be and how much their tuition fees would be. UK isn't part of EU anymore so would have to pay foreign fees.

I cannot speak dutch though but if they do it in English might actually be an option.

ReputationRep:
    Delft or Amerstdam only though not going to another country for a non top 100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Okay good points. I understand that degrees in Holland are similar to those here in the UK. But if i can go anything by the degree i did, as anything to go by, it was more then just a little bit of work here and then to pass. That is the point i was making.
    Of course, uni will be hard work, both in Holland and in the UK. I think she was referring more to her style of working than the quantity of working. Doing a little bit of one thing, then a bit of another, and so on, is fine, as long as you plan in advance. That's pretty much they way I try to plan my work too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke7456)

hmm interesting they actually have one or two universities which is good for maths, and world class both generally and for maths. I guess If I can't get into Cambridge, Imperial or Warwick they may be worth a looksi

wonder what their grade requirements would be and how much their tuition fees would be. UK isn't part of EU anymore so would have to pay foreign fees.

I cannot speak dutch though but if they do it in English might actually be an option.
    Use this ranking, it's better than QS: https://www.timeshighereducation.com...cols/rank_only

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatPumpkin)
    What job do you want? I'm applying for chemistry at Groningen, and I have the same questions as you.
    Publishing or teaching.

(Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Just been reading this thread and there are a few things I would like to address. First of all, for reference, I'm studying in the UK, but I grew up in Holland, and know a thing or two about the Dutch university system through information we got at school and through my friends from secondary school who are now studying at Dutch universities.

My first point: I feel like there is some scaremongering going on here (not going to name any names). Holland is not the other side of the world, you don't need to worry at all about half the stuff you've been warned about. English is the least of your problems, London to Amsterdam is a 45 minute flight, so if you do feel homesick, you can go home for the weekend, etc.

As for the workload, I don't think it's harder than Britain. Most of the students who drop out do so because they themselves choose to (because they don't like the course). A lot of people in Holland make little effort to properly choose their subject, this is the cause of most of the dropouts, not some kind of super high requirement. What you need to take into account when comparing grades is that in Holland the pass mark is 55 or 60 out of 100 on an exam, the 80 you mentioned may refer to 80% of the total number of points you can get in a year. I'm not 100% on how those work, but I believe passing the exam means you get the points for that subject, which would mean that you need to pass at least 80% of your subjects in first year. Another thing I would like to mention is that it is not uncommon for students in the Netherlands to spend an extra (half) year doing the course if they need extra time to complete their degree (check your uni's website for this). Of course, you'll want to do it in the normal time, but I'm just trying to say that Dutch unis don't really do the whole kicking people out thing so much.

As for the Amsterdam vs Groningen issue, the pros and cons I would like to mention are:
    Amsterdam:
    Pros: near the airport, near many other major cities, big city, good uni, lots of foreigners, lots of culture
    Cons: most expensive to get accommodation and accommodation is hardest to find (Holland doesn't have halls, it's all private or fraternity (which I would not recommend)), big city

Groningen:
    Pros: nice student town, good uni, accommodation should be easier to find and cheaper
    Cons: relatively far away from other cities/major airport, not the most international part of the country (though you'll still get by fine even without Dutch)

Hope all this helps, feel free to ask any specific questions.
    Can't tell you how helpful this was. Thank you!

ReputationRep:

They give something similar to unconditional offers I think.. If you've got EU citizenship then it's 1984 euros or something depending on the uni. We're still technically in the EU for another 3 years or something.

ReputationRep:
    They give something similar to unconditional offers I think.. If you've got EU citizenship then it's 1984 euros or something depending on the uni. We're still technically in the EU for another 3 years or something.
    hold on do they do the courses in english? I mean if I can get into Cambridge or Imperial then their is no beating that, However If its nottingham vs here its not much difference except one heck of a saving. Just i can't speak dutch.

ReputationRep:
    hold on do they do the courses in english? I mean if I can get into Cambridge or Imperial then their is no beating that, However If its nottingham vs here its not much difference except one heck of a saving. Just i can't speak dutch.
    Yeah they do courses in English. Some unis offer Dutch lessons for students but the Dutch speak really good English.

ReputationRep:
    There are some courses that are in English in Dutch Universities.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.eunicas.ie/ is a good website to find courses in Europe in the English language if anyone is interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Why are you trying to put the OP off? MrsSheldonCooper seems far more prepared and capable than you give her credit for, and the Netherlands' higher education system is not that dissimilar to the UKs anyway, she will be fine.
    I'd understand his concerns if I was going to Canada or Australia for uni but I'm not. I live near an airport anyway and I can easily just hop onto a flight and go there.

ReputationRep:
    yes please do that at least, as some form of evidence?
    Actually no. With all due respect I'd rather have a professor who knows me mark an essay and see what level I'm working on than some random stranger on the internet I know nothing about.

Have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    Actually no. With all due respect I'd rather have a professor who knows me mark an essay and see what level I'm working on than some random stranger on the internet I know nothing about.

Have a good day!
    I'm not a random stranger i am a graduate. thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a random stranger i am a graduate. thanks
    Never denied you weren't a graduate. I don't know you at all and you don't know me and I plan to keep it that way.

Have a lovely weekend and I hope your family's doing great too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    There are some courses that are in English in Dutch Universities.
    yeah need to find out firstly if their maths courses are in english, and secondly if they have the same prestige, reputation and prospects as british ones.

I know they rank higher then some british ones but reputation prestige and prospects dont always corrolate exactly to this. this def warrants further research.

I mean £5500 tuition fees for 3 years vs £27750 tuition fees for the same period this is a saving of £22250. that's a deposit on a house or a girlfriend for 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    yeah need to find out firstly if their maths courses are in english, and secondly if they have the same prestige, reputation and prospects as british ones.

I know they rank higher then some british ones but reputation prestige and prospects dont always corrolate exactly to this. this def warrants further research.

I mean £5500 tuition fees for 3 years vs £27750 tuition fees for the same period this is a saving of £22250. that's a deposit on a house or a girlfriend for 6 months.
    Gf for six months? O.o

ReputationRep:
    Gf for six months? O.o
    i tend to do bad with girls they only seem to stick around to use me for my money then disappear when it runs out. Last time I decided from now on, that either i spend nothing and succeed or get nowhere. the money I save up could eventually fund an income generating unit, (be that business property ice cream van whatever) that I do not have to work on myself at this point if i have not found a girl I can get a gold digger in perpetuity or replace when she finds someone she actually loves. if some how i find a girl without having to be used financially then i win anyway.

so i would not be stupid to waste money like this again but due to my past i often make jokes about large sums of money saying this would buy me a gf for x amount of time its usually just a self piss take.

I don't have an actual figure for how long the money can rent the girl for, so its made up every time and just a silly self depreciating joke.

ReputationRep:

Definitely, I do not know anything about Mathematics because I am applying for Liberal Arts and Sciences in the Netherlands but a cursory search shows that there are only three programs in the undergraduate level in the Netherlands that offer a Mathematics degree in English and they are concentrated in two universities, University of Groningen and University of Twente. Not sure how they compare to British universities in terms of prestige. Unfortunately, the only thing I know about Groningen is their football team because Luis Suarez played there.

Here's the link to the programs I found:

http://www.eunicas.ie/index.php/euni...ll&searchword=

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.