M406 – Full Drug Decriminalisation Motion 2016 (Second Reading)

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Ummm, when did we try hard deterrence, exactly? I'm pretty sure back in the day of awful prisons, capital punishment, and hard Labour we didn't have a drug problem

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not a fan of proportionality?
    Ah yes back in the day when you could still pick up weed, coke and opiates from any pharmacy, opium dens were all the rage and the Queen was a stoner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgn)
    Not a fan of proportionality?
    Ah yes back in the day when you could still pick up weed, coke and opiates from any pharmacy, opium dens were all the rage and the Queen was a stoner.
    You don't need the pharmacy selling to have 1 in 15 smoking weed, 1 in 50 doing coke, and 1 in 100 shooting heroin in a given 12 month window. Apparently we once had a hard deterrent, unsurprisingly we haven't been told when, because we haven't, we've only had soft deterrents that. We haven't, at least recently, had personal possession offences that are actually enforced, let alone the zero tolerance policies that are demonstrated effective all around the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't need the pharmacy selling to have 1 in 15 smoking weed, 1 in 50 doing coke, and 1 in 100 shooting heroin in a given 12 month window.
    ??

Apparently we once had a hard deterrent, unsurprisingly we haven't been told when, because we haven't, we've only had soft deterrents that. We haven't, at least recently, had personal possession offences that are actually enforced,
    We've had disproportionate sentencing for drugs possession and we've had more relaxed guidelines and policing, it's made little difference, we've been most successful when taking Thatchers approach of employing harm reduction measures such as needle exchanges and shooting galleries. We're not a puritanical nation it's never been our aim to attempt something as ridiculous as eradicating drug use, we've gone to war to stop the prohibition of drugs and our current drug laws were only put in place to appease our more puritanical allies.

let alone the zero tolerance policies that are demonstrated effective all around the world.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgn)
    Such as?
    I would imagine policies such as Iran's death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    I would imagine policies such as Iran's death penalty.
    Interestingly I believe cannabis is actually legal in Iran. I doubt jammy duel would want us looking to Iran for guidance, I imagine he probably meant approaches like Japans. Japan is culturally very different to us and the Yakuza tend to be anti-drugs which will obviously have quite an impact on use, however I believe even there they have a huge problem with amphetamines. But we don't have to look that far, the US have tried zero tolerance and it's achieved nothing but to fill prisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fgn)
    . But we don't have to look that far, the US have tried zero tolerance and it's achieved nothing but to fill prisons.
    Prohibition, while not exactly the same due to there being far less cultural acceptance of hard drugs than alcohol, would be an interesting comparison.

ReputationRep:
    I raise you Japan, one of the lowest drug use rates in the world, although some put that down to people actually having a sense of respect absent in the West, Sweden on the other hand does not, it has some of the strictest laws in the West and, guess what, some of the lowest usage rates.
    Sweden is an awful example, it has usage rates no lower than some other parts of Europe, among the highest rates of drug deaths in Europe and amongst the highest spending to achieve it.

ReputationRep:
    This motion is in cessation.

ReputationRep:
    Division! Clear the lobbies!

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.