Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    Most of my friends who claim they are in love spend more time moaning about it than anything else! I also know that I'm happier now than I was in the distant past when I thought I was in love (and loved in return). There's no doubt about it though, there's nothing more cutting than "well, I never loved you anyway!"
    Denying love woant reduce its impact upon your life.

ReputationRep:
    Love exists in the hearts and souls of every one of us, bless you all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    Most of my friends who claim they are in love spend more time moaning about it than anything else! I also know that I'm happier now than I was in the distant past when I thought I was in love (and loved in return). There's no doubt about it though, there's nothing more cutting than "well, I never loved you anyway!"
    lol... indeed . Scrapes the bone, I'd imagine.

Maybe if people didn't associate so much with it and expect so much from it - there would be less dissapointment. Then again it would probably be less fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Perhaps - but being realistic about it may reduce the impact of some associated inconveniences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Surely if you choose to ignore something it can't have such an impact on your life? This is what I don't buy into, the idea that love is inescapable and you can't deny your true feelings. I believe you choose who you love...in fact not even that, you choose who you love back.

ReputationRep:
    Love is a mystery, a genetic quirk, intangible yet is the theme of countless songs, films and books, people kill for love, people die for love, empires have been overthrown for love, life is created out of love and Yet you claim it doesn’t exist?

(directed at any1 who doesnt believe in love)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    empires have been overthrown for love
    Which ones?

ReputationRep:
    This is quite plausible actually. I mean, Plato valued a sort of filial ('platonic') love between parents and children. But even parents taking care of their children....isn't that just an investment in their own genetic future? After all, we very rarely see parents so concerned about somebody else's children.

And so what is 'love' ?:something we 'think' we feel that transcends simple lust, or is it really an everlasting phenomenon that carries on even after the people who feel it have long since died? :confused:[/QUOTE]

i don't know if this has been expressed already and i apologise if it has! with regards the love between a man and woman i feel that love could be felt on one level as a simple transcending of lust, however to say that it is simply a way of expressing the need for reproduction doesn't allow for couples who have no intention to have children and simply want to enjoy being together.
    concerning love between parent and child or any relation/sibling i, personnaly, feel that it is an unquestionable certainty that a great love and bond exists that NEVER stops just because one has died! infact at first it feels as though you no longer feel anything but in my opinion as time goes on you begin to love them even more, ir more precisely you begin to love the memory as well as the person! hmmm went off on abit of a tangent there but in essence if there is such a word as 'love' that people feel expresses a certain emotion then surely it does exist and holds very powerful meanings in whatever sense it is used!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.