The Student Room Group

2017 Mathematics Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by TonyClough1
AS Results: AAAAA2 Predicted: A*A*A*(Maths, Biology, Chemistry) UMS : 97,100,100 in C1,C2,D1Applied to: Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds, Newcastle

Had offers from all apart from Oxford, dreading the MAT next week!

What grades do you have to get to meet your Newcastle offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cryptokyo
What grades do you have to get to meet your Newcastle offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My offer was AAB/A*BB
any MSci offers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CutieTootsie
any MSci offers?

I have a KCL MSci offer (AAA) but I'm predicted A*A*A*A so a quick offer was to be expected
Original post by TheRandomGenius
I have a KCL MSci offer (AAA) but I'm predicted A*A*A*A so a quick offer was to be expected

I'm predicted A*A*A*... So I don't think that's my problem
I applied to Bristol
Original post by CutieTootsie
I'm predicted A*A*A*... So I don't think that's my problem
I applied to Bristol

But you have a medicine PS do you not?
Original post by TheRandomGenius
But you have a medicine PS do you not?

yes. i'm sorry, i thought you were saying you had a quick offer because you were predicted highly.
anyone heard from birmingham?
can we get the list in order of difficulty?
Name: Ugochukwu Eze
AS Results:A in math A in further math
A2 (Predicted/Achieved): A*A*AA
Universities applied to:Oxford St Andrews Bath Exeter and Manchester
Fun fact: Rugby player for school and captain of school basketball team
hi guys i was just wondering i'm a gap year student and will start uni in 2018. I did the MAT and graduated from Sixth Form with 4 A*s and a grade 1 in STEP 1. However I don't think i did great in the MAT, probably 55-65 range. Will i still be considered a strong applicant for Oxford/Imperial considering my results and given circumstances? Thanks!
Name: Jade
AS Results: AAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics)
A2 (Predicted/Achieved): A*A*A*A*
UMS (Optional): 100 x 4 (in C1, C2, S1, D1) 98 in S2, FP1 82.
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Loughborough (Offer: Ax3)
Fun fact: Pandas are my favourite animal! 🐼

- Is anyone else applying to Queens' College Cambridge?
- I messed up on one FP1 question, hence the lower UMS score. Does anyone think it'll hold me back?
- Also the only people who I know who've got offers from Warwick, so far, did 5 AS levels? Has anyone got an offer yet with 4 subjects?

I like this thread btw :-)
Reply 92
Original post by Luke7456
can we get the list in order of difficulty?

Unfortunately I do not think I can edit the poll now. If you could tell me how to though, I would be more than willing to change it.
Reply 93
Original post by jadeemma
Universities applied to: Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Bath, Loughborough (Offer: Ax3)

- I messed up on one FP1 question, hence the lower UMS score. Does anyone think it'll hold me back?
- Also the only people who I know who've got offers from Warwick, so far, did 5 AS levels? Has anyone got an offer yet with 4 subjects?

Welcome to the thread!

Answer to your questions (my view of course):
1. I've applied to Peterhouse College for maths (obviously).
2. FP1 shouldn't hold you back too much due to your high overall scores in the other modules. They would most likely see it as an anamoly - (at least that is what I am hoping for my 66 UMS in Mechanics 4 :biggrin:!).
3. No clue about AS levels and Warwick but they can take a while to get back to people - don't know why though.

Good luck in your application. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

We got pretty similar UMS marks (I just worked it out and we got the exact same average!) I got 100 x 4 (C1, D1, D2, M1) & 94 in C2 and 86 in FP1. I messed up the last question in FP1 as I did -1 x 2 = 3, used that (as it was follow through), and then found out that most of what I did was wrong about 3 mins before the end....I completely panicked haha - I've never crossed out and tried to redo that much work in 3 mins before! I don't think it'll hold you back as it's still an A & your other UMS scores are great! (If I do say so myself :wink: )

I'm applying to St Catz.

I've gotten an offer from Warwick with 4 subjects & my predicted grades are lower than yours (A*AAA) so don't worry! :smile:

ps. I love pandas too!
Reply 95

1) Whoop! Queen's is an alright college, I've got a friend there. It's not as cool as King's (which is where I am). :tongue:

2) No, it's just one module and Cambridge know how stupid A-Level Maths is, they don't care much for it.

3) I got an offer from Warwick a day after sending my UCAS, with only 3 AS Levels. Everybody (read: any reasonable person) gets an offer from them, it's genuinely a given - don't worry about it.
Original post by Lauren-x-
We got pretty similar UMS marks (I just worked it out and we got the exact same average!) I got 100 x 4 (C1, D1, D2, M1) & 94 in C2 and 86 in FP1. I messed up the last question in FP1 as I did -1 x 2 = 3, used that (as it was follow through), and then found out that most of what I did was wrong about 3 mins before the end....I completely panicked haha - I've never crossed out and tried to redo that much work in 3 mins before! I don't think it'll hold you back as it's still an A & your other UMS scores are great! (If I do say so myself :wink: )

I'm applying to St Catz.

I've gotten an offer from Warwick with 4 subjects & my predicted grades are lower than yours (A*AAA) so don't worry! :smile:

ps. I love pandas too!

What exam board are you with? In FP1 it was the one about imaginary numbers which I messed up and then my next answers were wrong too!! I got 62/72 in the exam so must have got another question wrong somewhere but I'm not sure which one! It is still an A so I don't mind too much, just need to do good in FP2 and FP3 this year!
Are you doing the exam for Durham tomorrow? Did you do the Maths Challenge today too?
What 4 subjects do you do? They're great predictions and it means you can beat them too! :-)
Original post by Cryptokyo
Welcome to the thread!

Answer to your questions (my view of course):
1. I've applied to Peterhouse College for maths (obviously).
2. FP1 shouldn't hold you back too much due to your high overall scores in the other modules. They would most likely see it as an anamoly - (at least that is what I am hoping for my 66 UMS in Mechanics 4 :biggrin:!).
3. No clue about AS levels and Warwick but they can take a while to get back to people - don't know why though.

Good luck in your application. :smile:

Have you heard anything about an interview yet at Cambridge? I hope they class it as an anamoly! It's annoying as I got 70/72 in the mock but just had a bad day in the actual exam! I'm doing M2 at the moment and that's really hard, can't imagine how hard M4 is! Did you do the Maths Challenge today and are you doing the exam for Durham tomorrow? Thanks for your reply. Good luck with your application too :-)
Original post by Zacken
1) Whoop! Queen's is an alright college, I've got a friend there. It's not as cool as King's (which is where I am). :tongue:

2) No, it's just one module and Cambridge know how stupid A-Level Maths is, they don't care much for it.

3) I got an offer from Warwick a day after sending my UCAS, with only 3 AS Levels. Everybody (read: any reasonable person) gets an offer from them, it's genuinely a given - don't worry about it.

I really liked Queens' on the open day and I like that you get example lessons there as well as supervisions! Plus it's in a great location. I've looked round King's and that looked amazing but thought I'd have less chance of getting in as so many people apply there! How did you find the STEP exams? Thank you for your reassurance, I sent it off a month ago to Warwick so maybe it's at the bottom of the pile or something, haha!
Reply 99
I really liked Queens' on the open day and I like that you get example lessons there as well as supervisions! Plus it's in a great location. I've looked round King's and that looked amazing but thought I'd have less chance of getting in as so many people apply there! How did you find the STEP exams? Thank you for your reassurance, I sent it off a month ago to Warwick so maybe it's at the bottom of the pile or something, haha!

Haha, King's is scarily popular, yeah!

STEP was alright, it's quite a fun exam to take after going through all the boring A-Level stuff - if you work slowly but conscientiously at it, you'll do fine.

I'm sre you'll get the offer from Warwick soon, don't sweat it.

Quick Reply

Latest