Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzie1234567)
    For me

1) Ancient Greek
    I convinced my school to let me take and I have to do a lot of home study so maybe that's partly why but it's really really difficult. So much to learn. The language is really complicated and you have to be able to analyse and know 2 texts in Ancient Greek.

2) Latin
    Same as Ancient Greek but the grammar is slightly more regular and the participles are so much easier.

3) German
    I used to struggle to speak it but I've spent so much time speaking to native speakers and listening to it that it's not too much trouble any more.

4) Biology
    Relatively straight forward for As if you can grasp the concepts and have a good memory. More difficult for A2 but not unmanageable if you have a good foundation.
    Are you aiming to do classics at university?

ReputationRep:
    geography (essay questions kill me)
    biology
    geology

ReputationRep:
    Physics,Maths&History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    For me personally:

1.) History (requires a lot of reading around the subject to get the level of detail required for an A/A*. Ridiculous workload even by a level standards, literally death by paper.)

2.) French (All langauages are hard at a level as you need to be virtually fluent to get an A/A*)

3.) English Literature (Again a lot of reading around the subject required to get an A/A* including critics' opinions, not as bad as the workload in history though or the dedication required in French.)

4.) Government and Politics (Comparatively easy as a levels go, if pay attention to the news you can do well in it, also it's still modular so that lowers it down.)
    I was thinking of taking History as an A-level for next year (currently in Year 11). Was it hard or incredibly stressful tackling four subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MainlyMathsHelp)
    I was thinking of taking History as an A-level for next year (currently in Year 11). Was it hard or incredibly stressful tackling four subjects?
    Depends on your dedication, use all your free periods effectively and 4 A Levels is doable, but if you wanna go home early/have extended lunches/play on the phone/procrastinate during frees, then stick to 3 a levels

ReputationRep:
    doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths + Further Maths.

1) Biology - so much content to memorise and only a small bit of it is actually interesting (eg. I don't care about testing for reducing vs non-reducing sugars)
    2) Chemistry - finding it great so far but people keep telling me that it's the hardest A Level there is so I feel like it's too early to say...
    3) Maths is fab atm (done C1 & S1) but I think that's because all of C1 was basically just GCSE. Can't really speak for FM as I'm starting FP1 after half term

ReputationRep:
    1) Biology - a ridiculous amount of content to memorise, questions difficult to interpret and markschemes often very limiting
    2) Chemistry - content generally easy enough to understand, but sometimes the equations / calculations are hard to apply
    3) French - not much more difficult than GCSE to be honest, no much work required to do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hectxrp)
    Are you aiming to do classics at university?
    Yes I've applied for Classics with Arabic. Slightly random choice but I couldn't give up doing a modern language

ReputationRep:
    Physics
    Futher Maths
    Maths

ReputationRep:
    1. Economics: it's no use reciting anything, you'll just have to thoroughly understand every concept and know how to apply them. Some of my mates easily got an A in predicted, I worked my butt off in the whole summer and somehow only got B. Maybe I'm just stupid

2. Physics: again, you really have to understand everything and it's not easy work. Need to be very familiar with formulae as it's cross module sometimes. Physics was my priority since I failed my first quiz in the first year and after 2 years of hard work I'm predicted A*. It does give you a sense of fulfilment when solving problems.

3. Maths/further maths: I'm not a fan of maths but it's pretty straight forward. Sometimes you don't even have to understand the purpose of the formulae, as long as you practice enough and are careful, you get a decent grade.

4. English literature: fav subject with fav teacher, essay based, needs to read outside lessons but as long as you enjoy reading its nothing. I put the least effort in it but still get to stay at the top, perhaps because I love reading and I write quite fast. Before exams, I revise by telling/teaching the story/play/poem/movie to my family members from scratch (analysis and all) until they completely understand it. Now my whole family including my younger brother knows the work of Shakespeare, Golding, Keats, Blake, McEwan, etc. lol 😂

Good luck in your A levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    1.English
    2.History
    3. Art
    what're you hoping to do after A levels?

ReputationRep:
    1. physics
    2. economics
    3. further maths
    4. english lit
    5. maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazybutmotivated)
    Rank your A-level hardest to softest
    English Lit and Lang- THE hardest ever but such a good achievement when you get a good grade and you know you've grafted for it! The coursework is hell in first and second year but definitely a life saver come results day. unseen poetry is dire too!

Art and design- Again, a ridiculous amount of work. almost unbelievable but enjoyable when you get stuck in and work hours on your portfolio whilst listening to radio one. 😊

Sociology- relatively easy, A2 a lot lot looot harder so huge amounts of revision required!

ReputationRep:
    I'd think it'd vary person to person. Those with good memories might be a little better at subjects with lots of reading, i.e. (assuming) History, while those with more mathematical prowess might better at well, Maths.

For me :

Hardest -> Maths
    Medium -> Biology
    Easiest -> Physics

I ranked those by the amount of work I do for them though; I work a lot more for Physics than Bio/Math :-;

ReputationRep:
    Also, Welsh Literature is challenging, but rewarding

ReputationRep:
    This might shock some but for me right now it's LAW! This subject is something else at A2 and I struggled at AS. People think this subject is 'soft' and 'easy' until they themselves do the course. There's a reason why the percentage of A/A* students each year are so low. I've never been good at remembering key dates, Acts, Statutes, case studies/names so that's probably why I'm struggling so much. But even those in my class who are, are struggling now at A2. For AS I had to neglect my other subjects and somehow managed to do decently. I currently take English Literature, Psychology and Sociology along with Law. What we're learning at the moment I'm sure is one aspect/fraction of undergrad content so I can't imagine how hard a full law course at university must be. For my other subjects, I just need to read the books, practice essay writing and know theories etc with some aspects of memorisation. For law A level, it's not possible to do this as at A2 you must apply your understanding and knowledge to random case scenarios so you must understand the concepts. With those tight timed conditions and chunky scenario questions, if someone didn't understand it all they're screwed for that exam. At AS you could memorise information last minute, not at A2.

ReputationRep:
    In descending order of difficulty:

1. English Literature. I don't need to say much about this - just these two words should be enough already.
    2. Economics. Our class got the short end of the stick, and our teacher wasted the first semester. Second semester was better in that we had a change of teachers, but then spent catching up on AS. I also had a heck of a time trying to memorise concepts and do past years again and again and again.
    3. Psychology. The memorisation, concepts and whatnot come somewhat easy to me, the evaluations present much more of a struggle.
    4. Maths. Thank god for linearity. I can do linearity.

ReputationRep:
    1) Chemistry - I'm not the best at maths, and most of my classmates did maths A-level so they found the quantitative questions a breeze. I always thought I understood the content after revising it but still lost half the marks when testing myself. However it was my favourite subject due to how much it challenged me, sometimes the most satisfying feeling was when some concepts finally clicked in.
    2) Biology - AQA has the most specific mark schemes EVER. No joke. Examiners are told to mark negatively, meaning that unless I memorise word-for-word model answers (which I did for the exam), I will not get many marks at all.
    3) Psychology - quite simple concepts but too much to remember (especially for A2!)
    4) Sociology - common sense + quick essay-writing skills + some unique AO1 and AO3 points = A*
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1) Chemistry
    2) Biology
    3) Geography
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For me:

3: maths. After taking loads of past papers I easily got the hang of this, especially with the small amount of time I had to learn S1 because my school started it a bad time.

2: further maths. Pretty tricky as some of the questions may be displayed in a way that you know but seems confusing and you have to find the trick to be able to see how to solve the problems.

1: computing. For me I just feel like some of the long mark questions are hard to understand as literally one word can be the difference between 6 marks and 2 marks. I find it difficult to memorize some of the definitions and miss out the words and lose essential marks.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.