Turn on thread page Beta

If you could bring 1 person back from the dead. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MainlyMathsHelp)
    I read your story by the way and it is the most amazing thing I have read today. I have always wanted to research my family tree with websites like Ancestry but I'm only 15 so I can't really access the money right now but I definitely will in the future.
    It's such an interesting hobby, but it can become quite addictive. One word of advice I would give to anyone thinking of starting. Ask questions of older relatives who are still alive. What was your grandmother's parent's names? Did your grandmother have any siblings etc? One thing I regret is that I started it when anyone I could have asked was dead. My dad died when I was ten, and I then lost touch with his sisters and everyone else on his side of the family. I often regret not actually speaking to my dad more about his background. But you don't think of asking deep questions when you are a kid. A lot of knowledge and information he would have known died with him. So if you have a 90 year old relative, make her a cup of tea, and plonk a tape recorder in front of her, and just get her to speak into it about her childhood, the names and places she remembers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    unless you knew him personally then.... See when famous people die it is sad, but no.less sadder than someone who isnt famous
    It's not even a real person, he's a fictional character. I was only joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    It's such an interesting hobby, but it can become quite addictive. One word of advice I would give to anyone thinking of starting. Ask questions of older relatives who are still alive. What was your grandmother's parent's names? Did your grandmother have any siblings etc? One thing I regret is that I started it when anyone I could have asked was dead. My dad died when I was ten, and I then lost touch with his sisters and everyone else on his side of the family. I often regret not actually speaking to my dad more about his background. But you don't think of asking deep questions when you are a kid. A lot of knowledge and information he would have known died with him. So if you have a 90 year old relative, make her a cup of tea, and plonk a tape recorder in front of her, and just get her to speak into it about her childhood, the names and places she remembers etc.
    Right yeah that would be extremely useful. Thank you very much for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Adolf Hitler

ReputationRep:
    Where can I read your story ? I'm interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scott.)
    In b4 hitler
    You predicted it ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

my grandma's sister
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Anne Frank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RossB1702)
    Where can I read your story ? I'm interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I haven't written it down as such. I have my families details on Ancestry but my membership expired some months ago and I haven't been able to afford to renew it. When I say I haven't written it down, I have two folders full of pages of notes, theories to investigate, Birth Death and Marriage certificates, and copies of emails between me and the Genealogist, Georgina Scally. Things are on hold at the minute until I can afford to re-hire her. She lives in Dublin, so is able to access the public records held in various places around Dublin for me. I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking anyway. When we both decide we have gone as far back as we are able to she is going to print everything in a leather bound book ,for about 100 Euros. It will be a lovely keepsake and something to pass on to my son.

ReputationRep:
    Well I haven't written it down as such. I have my families details on Ancestry but my membership expired some months ago and I haven't been able to afford to renew it. When I say I haven't written it down, I have two folders full of pages of notes, theories to investigate, Birth Death and Marriage certificates, and copies of emails between me and the Genealogist, Georgina Scally. Things are on hold at the minute until I can afford to re-hire her. She lives in Dublin, so is able to access the public records held in various places around Dublin for me. I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking anyway. When we both decide we have gone as far back as we are able to she is going to print everything in a leather bound book ,for about 100 Euros. It will be a lovely keepsake and something to pass on to my son.
    Good to hear. Hope it works out for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alan Turing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mediaya)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    my mum
    :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Same here , either your mum or someone elses mum , you know who that someone else.
    Or my grandad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Same here , either your mum or someone elses mum , you know who that someone else.
    Or my grandad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler:
    Show

aw yes i know who you're on about
    everyone's mum or dad or siblings or close relatives :cry2::cry2::cry2:

sorry btw, just seen that now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    :penguinhug:

Spoiler:
    Show

Haha aww :love: :heart: :hugs:
    Awwww jazakallah

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler:
    Show

:love::lovehug:
    AW mashallah you know this too!

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

:love::lovehug:
    AW mashallah you know this too!

Spoiler:
    Show

:love: :love: :love:
    What does Mashallah mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)

Spoiler:
    Show

What does Mashallah mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show

:love::love::love:
    oh it mean....i dont know how to exactly translate it into english, but it means ''well done'' its basically used when someone do something well

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

aw yes i know who you're on about
    everyone's mum or dad or siblings or close relatives :cry2::cry2::cry2:

sorry btw, just seen that now
    Awww Aysha dont cry! Stop crying now ikr

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz789)
    Awww Aysha dont cry! Stop crying now ikr

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i wont thanks and goodnight bhai jaan

ReputationRep:
    i wont thanks and goodnight bhai jaan
    The CTAM thread could really use your help.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

:love::love::love:
    oh it mean....i dont know how to exactly translate it into english, but it means ''well done'' its basically used when someone do something well

Spoiler:
    Show

Me dua karti <---- probably doesn't even make sense
    Ahh OK, thanks for that

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.