Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey chemistboy i do agree with u, but for a students sake its probably useful.

and as for pushing students, its not a reflection on the university but just the students. For instance, whilst doing A-level maths at school, even though it was the same school and teaching, one class had brighter students in then others, and this meant they could go at an accelerated rate. However, i was in this class, and also a lower class (i had to change due to timetabling) but i actually thought the teaching in the lower class was better. however, to an outside viewer, it would APPEAR that the top class was better simply because the students were brighter in the first place and they came out with more A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    and as for pushing students, its not a reflection on the university but just the students. For instance, whilst doing A-level maths at school, even though it was the same school and teaching, one class had brighter students in then others, and this meant they could go at an accelerated rate. However, i was in this class, and also a lower class (i had to change due to timetabling) but i actually thought the teaching in the lower class was better. however, to an outside viewer, it would APPEAR that the top class was better simply because the students were brighter in the first place and they came out with more A's.
    I'm not sure exactly what comparisons you are trying to draw here. University and school are very different learning environments, I'm afraid you can't look at degree classifications and draw anywhere near the same conclusions as you have done for your A-level Maths example. A-levels in do not correspond to degree classes out.

ReputationRep:
    the comparison im trying to bring up is that sometimes a uni can appear to be better, not because of the teaching but because the students going initially were brighter. so exeter may be just as gd, if not better in teaching, im not in a position to judge, but if people see that its a higher set of grades u need to get in theyll just ASSUME its better.

im not saying this is right,im just giving a reason. Im aware degree is different to a-level, in my opinion its a lot better as it gives ur mind more freedom, and u dont have to wear blazers and ties!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    the comparison im trying to bring up is that sometimes a uni can appear to be better, not because of the teaching but because the students going initially were brighter. so exeter may be just as gd, if not better in teaching, im not in a position to judge, but if people see that its a higher set of grades u need to get in theyll just ASSUME its better.
    Which is exactly why I feel it is important to give my opinion, based on the experience I have, on a forum like this. It bothers me that prospective students seem to put far too much weight on standard offers listed on university websites.

ReputationRep:
    it irritates me when people get elitist with it all, especially when people look down on other peoples degree choices. U made ur own choice, others made theirs...get over it! As long as ur happy!

On that note I wish everyone the best of luck next year on their degree! Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Which is exactly why I feel it is important to give my opinion, based on the experience I have, on a forum like this. It bothers me that prospective students seem to put far too much weight on standard offers listed on university websites.
    some of us do know people very well that have had personnal experience of the exeter undergraduate physics course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    some of us do know people very well that have had personnal experience of the exeter undergraduate physics course
    Yes, some of us do I'm sure.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.