Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which course are you applying for? BA or BSc? It's BA for me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    However Durham's geog department is so good, even if i got a Cam offer I would seriously consider a possible Durham offer over it.
    Not for Geography, you shouldn't!

ReputationRep:
    I think it'll have to be the BSc, I do too many sciency subjects for the BA, although i do take Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    This is what my school told me about writing personal statement when I applied:

First topic: Your choice of course

Explain why you wish to do the course you have chosen. You need to be enthusiastic. Think about:
    aspects of the course you enjoy
    putting theory into practice
    work experience confirmed interest
    wanting to study subject in greater depth
    post-degree aim
    any other reason

Also may be helpful to introduce your career ambitions

Second topic: Suitability to university life

You need to show that you have the ability to complete the course so what personal qualities do you possess which will show you can do this? You could refer to self-disciplined, motivated, hard working, commited and sociable. You do not need to give evidence to reinforce your comment.

Next topic-Benefiting from university life

You need to consider what you will do with your time at university when you are not studying. You will need to show that you will take advantage of the other activities which are on offer. They will also be interested in what you can contribute to the university. Admission tutors will be looking for a well-balanced individual.

Final topic-Concluding statement

This final paragraph gives you the opportunity to remind the reader about your choice of course and why you will make a successful student. Before writing this final paragraph, read through what you have written so far then do one of the following:

think of an experience which you have not mentioned relating to your degree course.
    think of an experience which you have not mentioned which relates to suitability for university
    identify an area which you have already mentioned and find a way of building on it for a concluding comment about your course or suitability for university.

Dunno if that helps

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 2, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.