Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by NSiky)
    Selling out is more than just changing your sound. It's changing the whole reason that you make music.
    I don't think that it matters. I've always listened to music based on its own merits and not based on its method of production or the band's intentions. I can't quite see why anybody would do that... with the exception of young and obsessive fans, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    It's code for 'MY FAVRUTE BAND IS MAKKING MUSIC I DNT LIKE ANYMORE AND DAT IS WRONG'.

As far as I'm aware it's fine for a band to change its musical direction. Yes, even if it's for financial gain. :p: They might lose their obsessive fans but gain a billion more who are far more appreciative than the last lot.
    Yeah but it's like they want them to still be raging against the evil fascist system man.

ReputationRep:
    I love people who call our generalised social system 'The Man'. More often than not they are completely deranged :p:

ReputationRep:
    Shakira.

Don't get me wrong she's amazing. however, ''Laundry Service'' was a complete sell-out from her previous latin rock/acoustic albums. She began filling the latino stereotype, and lost some of the quirkyness that made her so special. She got some of her artistic nature back on FO1/OF2 until she created HDL, and its all gone downhill from there. ''Beautiful Liar'' can rot ~

Good Shakira: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWG1I...elated&search=
    Sellout Shakira: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyHiYqDZ15I

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful liar is awful. Good video though.

ReputationRep:
    Chilli Peppers maybe?
    "By The Way" is an anthem though. Of some kind...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    :ditto:

Pop-punk is the guiltiest genre in music IMO

Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    The Chilis new album is responsible for some of the worst lyrics around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vector)
    The Chilis new album is responsible for some of the worst lyrics around
    Haha, as far as I'm aware their lyrics have always been mostly nonsensical, so nothing new there. I've always liked them for their musical talent (which they do have in spades, in my opinion), but yeah, Anthony Kiedis is a terrible lyricist.

He's a terrible live singer as well, which is sad, because I'd like to see them live.

ReputationRep:
    Chili peppers didnt sell out, they just got boring.

The first band i think of when i hear the words 'sell-out' are Lostprophets. After the first album they changed their sound completely to sound exactly like every other american post-hardcore band that was getting popular at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliotmcv)
    Haha, as far as I'm aware their lyrics have always been mostly nonsensical, so nothing new there. I've always liked them for their musical talent (which they do have in spades, in my opinion), but yeah, Anthony Kiedis is a terrible lyricist.
    It was when they sang about MySpace that they got me. It was a good song otherwise as well :p:

The massive Lostprophets change made me laugh at first but really it's a bit of a shame; I got that first album the day it came out and I genuinely thought I'd be a fan for life. I do still love that album, of course, but I can't deal with the new junk.

ReputationRep:
    I love Lostprophets () All 4 albums

According to Ian Watkins, their 5th album is returning to their older, heavier stuff though so that might win back a few fans

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt the heaviness that was good about the first album.. it was pretty unique, had a very distinctive sound, and was definately british! There was a strong influence of Refused too which disappeared fast.

my tastes have changed alot since then anyway, but shinobi is a classic

Yeah, I loved the album because a lot of the songs were all over the place in the best way possible. I hope that makes sense... they sounded like small songs pieced together perfectly.

A lot like this Amerie song I've got on now, actually. :p:

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. SikTh reminded me alot of them.. despite being alot heavier!

ReputationRep:
    Phil Collins! "Against All Odds" was the beginning of the end of his prog-rock beginnings. But he's getting back into it nowadays I think.
    His drumming sound is so awesome.
    Also some people say Fleetwood Mac sold out with some of their later stuff, going away from their original blues roots, but I like all of it. Rumours is a great album. And there's so much tension in the later songs due to what was going on in the band's personal lives.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, Sikth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Phil Collins! "Against All Odds" was the beginning of the end of his prog-rock beginnings. But he's getting back into it nowadays I think.
    His drumming sound is so awesome.
    Don't get me started about Collins and post-Gabriel Genesis. I will bore you to death.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.