Theist
    24.24%
    Agnostic
    25.00%
    Atheist
    50.76%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dangle)
    You automatically think most people with religious beliefs are stupid. I'd call that pretty lame.
    Why are you all so useless at interpreting. I challenge you to find something, anything, that I wrote that would imply to a person of reasonable intelligence that I think all/most religious people are stupid....

ReputationRep:
    You think most people with religious beliefs are stupid. I'd call that pretty lame.
    Not stupid per se... but faulty sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mensan1)
    Well this is just horrendous infering on your part. If i said or implied in anyway that all intelligent people must be atheists then it would be fair to call me arrogant, deluded and pretty stupid too. But please, oh please, quote me saying something remotely like that....

I think you'll find me saying or implying that there is a correlation between being atheistic and intelligent and that it was always going to show up on TSR's poll.
    I do apologise if your intent was only to imply a correlation without passing judgement on the correctness and inevitability of said correlation. It appeared to me, and your subsequent posts add to that appearance, that your opinion is and was that intelligent and educated people are more likely to be atheists because atheism is correct and intelligent and educated people should realise this. Otherwise, why else would you have assumed the existance of the correlation?

And then you went on to post that you do indeed consider religion and anyone who believes in it to be lame and nonsensical.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you all so useless at interpreting. I challenge you to find something, anything, that I wrote that would imply to a person of reasonable intelligence that I think all religious people are stupid....
    "It was inevitable that most of us will be atheistic - TSR has on average a more intelligent and educated populace than the country/world in general."

TSR has a higher ratio of intelligent people than the world and thus a higher ratio of Atheists - I'd say that, although possibly inadvertently, suggests that those that don't not believe (i.e those who do believe) are not as intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you all so useless at interpreting. I challenge you to find something, anything, that I wrote that would imply to a person of reasonable intelligence that I think all/most religious people are stupid....
    Even if you don't believe, it's pretty lame to diss their faith just because you think it's illogical.
    Why is it lame? If someone believes in nonsense then it should be called nonsense. What is it about faith that almost exempts it from being looked at with a critical eye?
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but you seem to very clearly refer to religion as nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    I do apologise if your intent was only to imply a correlation without passing judgement on the correctness and inevitability of said correlation. It appeared to me, and your subsequent posts add to that appearance, that your opinion is and was that intelligent and educated people are more likely to be atheists because atheism is correct and intelligent and educated people should realise this. Otherwise, why else would you have assumed the existance of the correlation?

And then you went on to post that you do indeed consider religion and anyone who believes in it to be lame and nonsensical.
    You did it again! You were heading in the right direction and then what happened??? When did i post that 'I do indeed consider anyone who believes in religion to be lame and nonsensical'??

Do you have a thing for making up stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Atheist

ReputationRep:
    "It was inevitable that most of us will be atheistic - TSR has on average a more intelligent and educated populace than the country/world in general."

TSR has a higher ratio of intelligent people to the world and thus a higher ratio of Atheists - I'd say that, although possibly inadvertently, suggests that those that don't not believe (i.e those who do believe) are not as intelligent.
    yes they are not as intelligent/educated - that is the equation that I made. How in anyone's eyes is that synonymous to saying that 'most religious people are stupid'?

ReputationRep:
    You did it again! You were heading in the right direction and then what happened??? When did i post that 'I do indeed consider anyone who believes in religion to be lame and nonsensical'??

Do you have a thing for making up stuff?
    I refer you to the two posts above my one which both point out where you have implied heavily that religion is nonsense and that more intelligent people are athesists and less intelligent people are religious.

Perhaps the problem lies less in others' abilities to interpret and more in your ability to express.

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will) but you seem to very clearly refer to religion as nonsense.
    Well of course I think religion is nonsense! That is miles apart from thinking that 'all relgious people are stupid' however. Without trying to sound disparaging, do you see the difference?

ReputationRep:
    It was inevitable that most of us will be atheistic - TSR has on average a more intelligent and educated populace than the country/world in general.
    The statistics agree with you fully, atheism as a percentage of population, increases with education, and this place is full of people at uni or going there

ReputationRep:
    yes they are not as intelligent/educated - that is the equation that I made. How in anyone's eyes is that synonymous to saying that 'most religious people are stupid'?
    So religious people are not as intelligent but not stupid? Is that your position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrey)
    The statistics agree with you fully, atheism as a percentage of population, increases with education, and this place is full of people at uni or going there
    Very interesting

ReputationRep:
    Not as intelligent - that hints at a greater degree of stupidity on their part. Or maybe you don't see 'stupidity' as an antonym to 'intelligence'?

ReputationRep:
    I refer you to the two posts above my one which both point out where you have implied heavily that religion is nonsense and that more intelligent people are athesists and less intelligent people are religious.

Perhaps the problem lies less in others' abilities to interpret and more in your ability to express.
    I've explained where you've gone wrong and you should be able to see that nothing I've said can be deemed contradictory or can be used to make your oh so preposterous equations, and that you're just making exactly that - inane inferences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrey)
    i'm aware and I'm aware of other types of evidence than uni and so on. People don't understand the idea of 'correlation' however.

ReputationRep:
    Satanist and proud.

ReputationRep:
    So religious people are not as intelligent but not stupid? Is that your position?
    NOO!!! There is a correlation and that is my postion! Some theists are stupid, some are intelligent. Some atheists are stupid, some are intelligent. However the whole idea of making correlations isn't to say that everyone from one populace is one thing. You say, in this case, if you are atheistic, you are *more likely* to be more intelligent/better educated than your theistic counterparts. Do you understand now?

ReputationRep:
    Not as intelligent - that hints at a greater degree of stupidity on their part. Or maybe you don't see 'stupidity' as an antonym to 'intelligence'?
    Because you are not as intelligent, does that mean necessarily that you are stupid?? What a massive and ridiculous leap to make! Did you miss the subtle shades of grey or is everything black and white to you?

ReputationRep:
    NOO!!! There is a correlation and that is my postion! Some theists are stupid, some are intelligent. Some atheists are stupid, some are intelligent. However the whole idea of making correlations isn't to say that everyone from one populace is one thing. You say, in this case, if you are atheistic, you are *more likely* to be more intelligent/better educated than your theistic counterparts. Do you understand now?
    So it was just **** wording on your part?

"They are not as intelligent/educated" - refers more to the group as a whole.

But yeah, I generally see where you're coming from now.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.