bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Its weird, in these sorts of threads people seem to think that all black people in the world ever act the same way.

I'm black, my family comes from africa, I have lots of black friends at school, was born in Hackney, have lived in Woolwich and Thamesmead in South east london which have high concentrations of black people and never once have I heard anyone, not even the more ignorant people in my family ever "pull the slavery card"

If people actually did do this outside of hypothetical situations, which people probably do, its in no way a reflection on the attitudes of all black people.

Slavery, much like the Holocaust and all other atrocities that have occurred to people of different races, sexualities, religions and so on are things that we do at times need to be reminded of, and in the case of slavery and the civil rights movement, the holocaust and things like this, they're still quite relevant because it wasn't so long ago and the affects of these things are still in many ways holding some people back.
mute50
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
Maybe you should continue the argument? You still haven't responded to my post re: positive discrimination.
I have responded
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, you made a one off comment about the police force. You haven't answered several questions I put to you.

Do you believe reverse racism is a cure for previous historical racism?
Do you think blacks are inferior to white and need an extra hand? That's what you'd imply in your posts...
Are you racist?
Do you think that it's right the police is hiring less qualified people to do a job simply because they have the right skin colour? Isn't that in itself racist?

That was vaguely what I said, it'd be easier if you'd just answered me the first time rather than implying I was racist. I made the point that discrimination, whether positive or negative, on the basis of skin colour, is continuing racism, it continues to divide people.
Kater Murr
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No they bloody well shouldn't.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
I have never owned slaves, nor have my parents or ancestors. But I'm white so expected to feel guilty for something I've never done to people who've never had it done to them.

Now that's what I call stupid.

Should I apologise to all the Jews alive for dying in the Holocaust at the hands of the Germans because I'm white and Germans are white?

edit: just noticed the OP's German. Hehe.
What an utter bull**** post Thud, which has been happening a lot lately.

Who is expecting you to feel guilty?

Who really believes all white people born should feel immediate guilt?

And something i find a little bit interesting regarding this area of the slavery debate is that people jump at the chance to feel proud of ancestry, and to laud the achievements of old war heros, as though they themselves have some sort of transient right to feel those emotions, but as soon as anything negative arises, all ties are immediately cut, and suddenly, history is simply history.
mute50
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
No, you made a one off comment about the police force. You haven't answered several questions I put to you.

Do you believe reverse racism is a cure for previous historical racism?
Do you think blacks are inferior to white and need an extra hand? That's what you'd imply in your posts...
Are you racist?
Do you think that it's right the police is hiring less qualified people to do a job simply because they have the right skin colour? Isn't that in itself racist?

That was vaguely what I said, it'd be easier if you'd just answered me the first time rather than implying I was racist. I made the point that discrimination, whether positive or negative, on the basis of skin colour, is continuing racism, it continues to divide people.
This going off the topic.
1) racism and discrimination are not the same thing so i will not be abled to comment on that.
2) You know skin colour is determined by ultra violent rays, you do know that. I neversaid black people are inferior stop trying to put words in my mouth. They may be your opinion but there are not mine.
3) i am not racist as i belivie that all racists are total morons
4)You are gong off a tangent, the theard is not about police officers

Anyway, different people may interpret my post differently
Oswy
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
What an utter bull**** post Thud, which has been happening a lot lately.

Who is expecting you to feel guilty?

Who really believes all white people born should feel immediate guilt?

And something i find a little bit interesting regarding this area of the slavery debate is that people jump at the chance to feel proud of ancestry, and to laud the achievements of old war heros, as though they themselves have some sort of transient right to feel those emotions, but as soon as anything negative arises, all ties are immediately cut, and suddenly, history is simply history.
Yeah, people like to pick and choose what in their nation's past they claim association with. And I totally agree about Thud's disengenuous claims to be targetted - it's just fraudulent means to lump all black people together and make it appear that they're all *****ing about the slave-trade. Racism takes many subtle forms, and some not so subtle.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cascadingstylez)
Anything within this post is not aimed at being in any way racist.

The question is: Should African's be able to call the Slavery card?

I understand what went on years ago but in all fairness its a totally different generation. None of us in todays world are to blame for what happened, so why do the young, British-African people (and ive herd Jamaicans say it) say that White people are to blame for the way Africans and Jamaicans are treated.

Discrimination exists everywhere and in many different forms. I just feel that African people always have that excuse to back them up in any case.

It angers me in a way. If people were to hold a grudge then Germans including myself (my family is German) would not be living in this country because of fear of persecution.

I think people should understand their past generations, but should not bring up something that they never experienced.

Parts of my family were killed in the German army, should i blame the British and forever hold it against them? No because that was then, this is now.

I know people will have mixed comments on this. Please don't involve aggression, as this is an open debate.

Peace.

Since you said please, i'll try to hold back on the aggression.

You say "and i've heard Jamaicans say it", as though you find it odd that Jamaicans might have a niggle about slavery. You do know that Jamaicans were enslaved too, right? Just clear that up, it's left me a bit confused.

You find it odd that people have said that white people were to blame for slavery? Why? When its largely true? Of course, there were plenty of black people to blame for it too, the old "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" thing that led to black people participating in the selling of slaves. But the statement "White people were to blam for slavery" is a factual one, even if it's not all-encompassing.

Your "that was then, tis is now" argument. I'm a little bit confused. Your point then, is that people should forget about the past, on the basis that it has gone by. So should the mothers of murdered children throw up their hands and say " Ah well, little Jane was murdered a whole week ago, bugger the grief, i forgive you, lets go and play bingo together"? I'm not sure that your logic is strictly correct here.

And what is the "Slavery card"?
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Oswy)
Yeah, people like to pick and choose what in their nation's past they claim association with. And I totally agree about Thud's disengenuous claims to be targetted - it's just fraudulent means to lump all black people together and make it appear that they're all *****ing about the slave-trade. Racism takes many subtle forms, and some not so subtle.
Thud just likes to appear radical and out-there. I'm still waiting for her to defend her belief that people should be allowed to cannibalise and murder people if the victim agrees to it...
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Oswy)
yep I must be racist because I disagree with positive discrimination - note that I'm not given a chance to discuss this because the other guy hasn't bothered to respond.

Is there even any point posting in these threads because left wing dribbling morons like you will always pull out the racist card to silence opposition regardless of what people say.

(Original post by mute50)
This going off the topic.
1) racism and discrimination are not the same thing so i will not be abled to comment on that.
2) You know skin colour is determined by ultra violent rays, you do know that. I neversaid black people are inferior stop trying to put words in my mouth. They may be your opinion but there are not mine.
3) i am not racist as i belivie that all racists are total morons
4)You are gong off a tangent, the theard is not about police officers

Anyway, different people may interpret my post differently
:rolleyes: A 5 year old could of made a better answer. This thread is about racism. I brought positive discrimination into it. You dodged the question before implying I'm racist and then pretending you don't remember the original debate.

Face it. I owned you.
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
yep I must be racist because I disagree with positive discrimination - note that I'm not given a chance to discuss this because the other guy hasn't bothered to respond.

Is there even any point posting in these threads because left wing dribbling morons like you will always pull out the racist card to silence opposition regardless of what people say.

:rolleyes: A 5 year old could of made a better answer.

Face it. I owned you.
There was a time you would have been described as a left-wing dribbling moron. Do you pick personalities in the same way you choose what to wear for the day?

All you've really said so far is that you suffer from non-existant people trying to make yo feel guilty about slavery. All in a days work...
mute50
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Thud)

:rolleyes: A 5 year old could of made a better answer.

Face it. I owned you.
Your the one that sounds like the 5 year old. "Face it. I owned you your acting like we were playing a game of tekken.

For the record, Racism and discrimination are not the same thing
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your the one that sounds like the 5 year old. "Face it. I owned you your acting like we were playing a game of tekken.

For the record, Racism and discrimination are not the same thing
Do you not ****ing understand the words POSITIVE DISCRIMINATION. That is what we were discussing why the **** are you pretending like you've forgotten.

Look you dodged it, called me racist, and had your fun so why don't you just ****ing answer me? The only reasonable explaination is that yes I ****ing owned you. You're defending racism. Then turning around and calling me racist.
Petit chou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my oppinion no race should be given preferential treatment of any form what so ever. We shouldn't have been given preferential treatment when we made black people slaves and then treated them as peices of scum after the original Civil Rights Act put forward by Lincoln happened. We should be aware of slavery, just like we should be aware of the Halocaust as they're constant reminders of how bad racism, discrimination and prejudice can be. To be reminded every now and again about slaves during Black History month is very acceptable, just like we're reminded of the Halocaust during the annoversary of their liberation, but the P.C. culture we live in today has taken everything a step too far.

To say we can't call a black board a black board is ridiculous, its a board which is black therefore a black board, i don't get offended by someone calling a white board a white board so i assume black people feel the same way. The same goes in that thread about the 3 little pigs no longer being allowed because it apparently offends Muslims. The government are really too worried about what may (and most of the times doesn't) offend ethnic minorities, it's beginning to slowly discriminate white people, which i am sure ethnic minorites don't want to happen. A shop i worked in are longer allowed to put a christmas tree up during christmas in fear of offending customers who don't celebrate christmas. It's starting to get ridiculous and its not on the most part us or ethnic minorities which are segregating society, it's the government.
mute50
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Excuse me, but the original question was Should African's be able to call the Slavery card?

I am not defending racism and i never had.

Anyway,Positive discrimination exists to redress the effects of negative discrimination.

I have came to the conclusion that you are a attention-seeker
Thud
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Excuse me, but the original question was Should African's be able to call the Slavery card?

I am not defending racism and i never had.

Anyway,Positive discrimination exists to redress the effects of negative discrimination.

I have came to the conclusion that you are a attention-seeker
YES YOU ARE! You're defending reserving jobs exclusively for one race. You're defending giving someone a job regardless of skill based on their skin colour. You're saying people with certain colour skin should get uni places over other people and get it paid for them solely because of their skin colour. THAT'S RACISM. Then you have the ****ing gall to turn around and insinuate I'm racist.

I have come to the conclusion you have the debating skills of a lemon.

Oh here's a novel idea, can't answer something? Well just wait a bit, insinuate the other poster is a racist and then claim to have forgotten what the discussion was about.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=46

You're not going to answer are you?
cottonmouth
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Lou76854)
In my oppinion no race should be given preferential treatment of any form what so ever. We shouldn't have been given preferential treatment when we made black people slaves and then treated them as peices of scum after the original Civil Rights Act put forward by Lincoln happened. We should be aware of slavery, just like we should be aware of the Halocaust as they're constant reminders of how bad racism, discrimination and prejudice can be. To be reminded every now and again about slaves during Black History month is very acceptable, just like we're reminded of the Halocaust during the annoversary of their liberation, but the P.C. culture we live in today has taken everything a step too far.

To say we can't call a black board a black board is ridiculous, its a board which is black therefore a black board, i don't get offended by someone calling a white board a white board so i assume black people feel the same way. The same goes in that thread about the 3 little pigs no longer being allowed because it apparently offends Muslims. The government are really too worried about what may (and most of the times doesn't) offend ethnic minorities, it's beginning to slowly discriminate white people, which i am sure ethnic minorites don't want to happen. A shop i worked in are longer allowed to put a christmas tree up during christmas in fear of offending customers who don't celebrate christmas. It's starting to get ridiculous and its not on the most part us or ethnic minorities which are segregating society, it's the government.
Since i don't remember coming across any statute that has banned xmas trees from being put up in shops, i have come to the conclusion that the decision maker was a knob. If it's even true. Poeple just make up these PC stories. So how exactly is it the government's fault?
mute50
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
You might want to look up the word racism in a dictionary. Racism is discrimination based on race. "Positive discrimination" does just that, so I really don't see how you can say it's anything but racism.
But, thats where you are wrong, because positive discrimination is not only about race, it can be about gender, religion or even sexual preference
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you consider how many white people died to set the black people free from slavery i'd say its about even.
Petit chou
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cottonmouth)
Since i don't remember coming across any statute that has banned xmas trees from being put up in shops, i have come to the conclusion that the decision maker was a knob. If it's even true. Poeple just make up these PC stories. So how exactly is it the government's fault?
I said it was not on the most part us or ethnic minorities so don't think i'm laying all the blame on the part of the government, but it is the government that come up with alot of these outlandish P.C. laws. Yes i know there's not a law that stops people from putting christmas tree's and decorations up, hence why people still do it, my point was that people are becoming too scared of being seen as racist that they go to such extremes as to not put a christmas tree up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads