BPP with a 2:2? Watch

prettyanxious
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
...and we're off-topic again......does this happen alot on TSR?
prettyanxious
oops we were off topic before ma2k5's post i mean.
prettyanxious
(Original post by ma2k5)
Could always try the GDL and LPC and work for a small solicitors firm - They won't have a go at your 2:2. As most people have stated, the high flying city life with a 2:2 is unlikely, not impossible but unlikely. It is possible to get through, at the end of the day they want people who will make them money - if you have something on your C.V. which proves your definatly up their with the cream of the crop - they won't reject you on the basis of a 2:2 if it looks like you can make money for them! Thats true for all businesses. The cutoffs are made to make their life easier, they get way too many applications and they know themselves that some guys who got a 2:2 or even a 3rd - if they had hired - could have been a great investment! But they work on probability, better grade at uni/Alevels tends to make a smarter person - Ofcourse its definatly not the case but you would put your money on a guy with 4 A's and 1st on a degree than a guy with CCC and a 2:2 - Which they literally do, put their money . So thats just how it works.

SO what does 2:2 mean? Your life isn't ruined, you start lower on the ladder. Usually means more work experience needed, hence I would definatly consider far more work in small firms, to build alot of experience.

Remember, even guys who got 1sts or 2:1s don't make it. So, in simple, if you have it in you to be a lawyer - a 2:2 would not stop you - will just take longer.

Don't give up hope and I know - being in such cultures were parents are very pressuring - it is hard. Just, plan ahead. Make choices to cover up the damage. Don't just expect fancy words on C.V's to do it, focus on work experience and possibly relevant extra curriculars.

Good luck.
Thanks. How would I know if I have it in me to be a lawyer? lol or is this another topic for another thread.......
Nana_Julia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by I-Claudia)
I know because I know.
Ahahahahahahahaha! God when you first came on here I thought you were just a pretentious Apprentice wannabe, I have truly misjudged you, you are in fact a comedienne of biblical proportions! Sweetie I don't need to prove anything to you, I don't give a **** what you do or don't believe. And how exactly would you ascertain whether or not I have pupillage (which has two ls, incidentally) from my name? Do you know all four-hundred-and-something pupils personally?
ma2k5
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by prettyanxious)

Thanks. How would I know if I have it in me to be a lawyer? lol or is this another topic for another thread.......
I think the only way to know you have it in you to become a lawyer - is when you actually become one
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
...and we're off-topic again......does this happen alot on TSR?
Hell yeah You'll grow to love it We inevitably get back to the point eventually though, fear not
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ma2k5)
I think the only way to know you have it in you to become a lawyer - is when you actually become one
It completely depends on what type of lawyer too - some people are great commercial solicitors but would be **** criminal barristers and vice versa
prettyanxious
(Original post by ma2k5)
yes that is true but wouldn't that be too late? what to do after? btw, what do people do if they don't stay on to become practising solicitors after the 2 years as a trainee?
ma2k5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nana_Julia)
Ahahahahahahahaha! God when you first came on here I thought you were just a pretentious Apprentice wannabe, I have truly misjudged you, you are in fact a comedienne of biblical proportions! Sweetie I don't need to prove anything to you, I don't give a **** what you do or don't believe. And how exactly would you ascertain whether or not I have pupillage (which has two ls, incidentally) from my name? Do you know all four-hundred-and-something pupils personally?
I would be happy if I had a pupilage and people don't believe me - would be a good ego boost wouldn't it. I wouldn't waste my time though trying to convince the other person your telling the truth.
I-Claudia
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nana_Julia)
Hell yeah You'll grow to love it We inevitably get back to the point eventually though, fear not

Well that's good. It means you don't have to ignore any awkward questions.

You know you're lying, I know you're lying.
ma2k5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yes that is true but wouldn't that be too late? what to do after? btw, what do people do if they don't stay on to become practising solicitors after the 2 years as a trainee?
Well if you could forsee if you would get a training contract in the future (which even a Cambridge Law student with straight A's and a 1st can't forsee), we would no longer be living on Earth, but heaven . It seems bitter but, when you do your GCSE, A levels, degrees - none of them ever guarantee you a better future, it is the same case with the GDL, LPC, BVC etc - but with a lower success rate (success rate being good investment).
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well that's good. It means you don't have to ignore any awkward questions.

You know you're lying, I know you're lying.
Awkward questions...? Such as...? And please do explain how you would ascertain whether I had pupillage from my name oh All-Knowing One?

Perhaps there are certain pupillage-having names? e.g. Pupillage McPupilson? Iama Pupil?
prettyanxious
(Original post by ma2k5)
Well if you could forsee if you would get a training contract in the future (which even a Cambridge Law student with straight A's and a 1st can't forsee), we would no longer be living on Earth, but heaven . It seems bitter but, when you do your GCSE, A levels, degrees - none of them ever guarantee you a better future, it is the same case with the GDL, LPC, BVC etc - but with a lower success rate (success rate being good investment).
Agreed. If I were to do the GDL, at least I've learnt from my mistakes of skipping class and not studying harder, and try my absolute best, even though that will probably not make a difference.
kalokagathia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If she'd like to PM me her name I'd be happy to verify. I guess I'm just a born doubting Thomas.

It's a PROFESSIONAL qualification, not a crappy little degree. We get 1 day self-study a week. You get to just be in college 4 days a week and then if you want you can use the day in the middle of the week to go shopping but then you have to remember to sacrafice a day at the weekend to study. I am treating the LPC like a fulltime job. I am working extremely hard for 40-55 hours a week then the rest of the time is my own. I know several people who thought they could take it easy all year until just before out compulsory subjects exams. They have since realised how stupid they were and 1 is in very serious jeopardy of losing his training contract.
If this hilarious excerpt regarding your experience of the LPC from one of your posts in another thread is anything to go by, you're not exactly the most naturally talented chip in the cookie..

..but that is an odd reason to doubt, without further evidence, the ability of others. I by no means agree with everything Nana_Julia writes, but she seems fairly intelligent and coherent, and I certainly can't see on what grounds you question so assuredly her claim regarding pupillage.
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Honestly, Claudia clearly loves BPP more than life itself - I was wondering why the Law forum was full of BPP threads, she has resurrected two threads on BPP from 2006!!! Ha ha ha!
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm amused by the prospect of someone called 'Pupillage McPupilson' ... it's the kind of thing I might come out with.
chalks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
To earn pupilage you have to be exceptional. To be a lawyer you just have to be able to string 2 sentences together.
I'd like to think my role involves slightly more than stringing two sentences together. Although, in fairness, my client and colleagues may be of the view that I do actually struggle with that...
prettyanxious
Btw, just to get us back on-topic again, if you all want to know, I sent an email to Linklaters (I'm not aiming that high, the Linklaters name just happaned to pop into my mind, plus they seem like a friendly bunch) about my situation, and they came up with this:

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Linklaters. We do have minimum criteria that students have to meet in order to progress to the next stage in the application, one of those is a 2.I in their undergraduate degree.

However, we do assess applications as a whole, if there are any mitigating circumstances for the lower grade than expected please do state this on your application.

If you have any further questions please do let me know.

Which means absolutely nothing!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Btw, just to get us back on-topic again, if you all want to know, I sent an email to Linklaters (I'm not aiming that high, the Linklaters name just happaned to pop into my mind, plus they seem like a friendly bunch) about my situation, and they came up with this:

Thank you for your email and for your interest in Linklaters. We do have minimum criteria that students have to meet in order to progress to the next stage in the application, one of those is a 2.I in their undergraduate degree.

However, we do assess applications as a whole, if there are any mitigating circumstances for the lower grade than expected please do state this on your application.

If you have any further questions please do let me know.

Which means absolutely nothing!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH
My interpretation is that it does mean something - you must have a 2.1, unless you have a very good reason for not getting one (e.g. epileptic attack during an exam whereas all other exam results were 2.1s or firsts, or nearly dying in a car crash the week before)...a good friend of mine basically went into serious anxiety at finals and came out with a 2.2 in final year having got firsts and prizes every other year and she has been okay...obviously her story is not the best as it suggests she collapses under pressure, but at least it shows that she is basically a 2.1/first student. I don't think "I didn't work hard enough" is good enough...
Nana_Julia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kalokagathia)
I by no means agree with everything Nana_Julia writes, but she seems fairly intelligent and coherent, and I certainly can't see on what grounds you question so assuredly her claim regarding pupillage.
*bowled over by kalokagathia's fulsome flattery* :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (141)
42.09%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (107)
31.94%
I don't have an opinion (87)
25.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed