Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ѕнαℓiηα)
    IQ tests do not measure intelligence. And my dad speaks 6 languages (mainly middle eastern) and he's academically intelligent. So I personally do not see a correlation, but I could be wrong.
    I'm not really sure myself, either. I think to some degree it measures brainpower, but it doesn't really test specific intelligences well (i.e. linguistic intelligence)

ReputationRep:
    168 - It's pretty irrelevent to any thing though really

ReputationRep:
    An IQ test is more of a peer-comparison test than a 'brainpower' test. 100 is the score one would find on average for an individual of a given age. Hence 100 is the average by definition.

Naturally, in theory there is no limit for an IQ score, but in practice the results form a normal curve, which means individuals with IQs above 170 are exceptionally rare.

The problem with IQ tests is a subject requires a balanced and thorough ability throughout a range of fields to obtain a high score – which does not necessarily correspond to a practical truth. Consider an absolutely brilliant mathematician with very poor verbal communication skills. Such a subject would score poorly on certain areas, perhaps even resulting in an overall score lower than average, in an extreme case. This does not mean that subject would not be intellectually able; in fact, he could be a brilliant mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    my brain cringes at the sight of them, i use this as an excuse of my poor result.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/
    i still reckon the TA3 test is rather reliable. i scored 135 some time back, i wonder what all the "140+'s" would get...

the most reliable is MENSA. when you get above 140 for MENSA (the paid one, not that **** puzzle book they send out for free and give you 160+score), THEN tell me, and i'll be impressed.

ReputationRep:
    looks like some people here qualify for the GIGA soc
    http://giga.iqsociety.org/intro.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Obviously not when she took it. And no, I thought the top score was in the 200's.
    My understanding of the MENSA test is it's scaled by age. All they really tell you is the maximum score for a "middle aged" man is 162, and that goes down with age, but I don't know quite how. In The Simpsons it's jokingly said that Stephen Hawking has an IQ of 220, but I'm not sure that's true.

I'll see what I can find about the test they use. Out of interest, what was your motivation for creating this thread? Inevitably it will end in a debate over who (out of TSR users) has the highest IQ...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My IQ is....Over 9000!

Some guy: "What 9000?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    My understanding of the MENSA test is it's scaled by age. All they really tell you is the maximum score for a "middle aged" man is 162, and that goes down with age, but I don't know quite how. In The Simpsons it's jokingly said that Stephen Hawking has an IQ of 220, but I'm not sure that's true.

I'll see what I can find about the test they use. Out of interest, what was your motivation for creating this thread? Inevitably it will end in a debate over who (out of TSR users) has the highest IQ...:rolleyes:
    but people are generating numbers they saw from the fb tests...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    but people are generating numbers they saw from the fb tests...
    No, I think (could be wrong ) that the OP was asking for people's IQ, and since Facebook etc. claim to give "IQ tests", some are assuming that that's what their IQ actually is - it could be a lot higher.

Anyway, some of you might find this interesting.

http://www.mensa.org.uk/download/16/...June-2006_.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    No, I think (could be wrong ) that the OP was asking for people's IQ, and since Facebook etc. claim to give "IQ tests", some are assuming that that's what their IQ actually is - it could be a lot higher.
    what, like 190 as opposed to 170...?

anyone actually done a MENSA test? the proper one?

Anyone else here International High IQ Soc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    what, like 190 as opposed to 170...?

anyone actually done a MENSA test? the proper one?

Anyone else here International High IQ Soc?
    I dunno, my point was really that they're not too reliable - I'm not sure you'll move 20 points up the scale! If 100 was the average (supposedly is), 20 points would be the difference between being "slow" and "OK"!

I've done the MENSA supervised one (it was in a crappy hotel in Thornaby :rolleyes:), but I don't really feel the need to divulge my IQ unless asked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/
    i still reckon the TA3 test is rather reliable. i scored 135 some time back, i wonder what all the "140+'s" would get...

the most reliable is MENSA. when you get above 140 for MENSA (the paid one, not that **** puzzle book they send out for free and give you 160+score), THEN tell me, and i'll be impressed.
    122 on that site lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zzypingan)
    a question.... where do people usually take IQ tests? online or in hospital?
    ^^
    I took mine in hospital, done by a psychologist, but I guess most people do them on the internet because it's way cheaper and it's quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
    136 . tickle.com u gotta love it
    Mwah ha ha mine was 143 on Tickle!!!

ReputationRep:
    What does the MENSA test actually test for? Are there sections for verbal reasoning, quantitive reasoning, spatial reasoning, etc? Is it similiar to the UKCAT?

ReputationRep:
    I did a 'real' test and a test on tickle, and my IQ as tested by a psychologist is 10% lower than the one on tickle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hixtures)
    Nah, it's awful. There was a thread on it a few weeks ago HERE.
    the whole site seems like a load of crap. I got 119 on the 'difficult' test and 134 on the regular one...neither of which I trust.

IQ doesn't mean anything, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekahchu)
    Mwah ha ha mine was 143 on Tickle!!!
    :O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curiouslyorange1989)
    :O NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.