Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisoo)
    It drives away annoying/boring non-smokers therefore decreasing stress levels
    It's so true isn't it! In Dublin before the smoking ban, all the non-smokers used to ***** and whine about how disgusting smoking is and how bad it is, and how we're all going to get cancer at 40, etc etc.

Then the smoking ban came in and finally we were all encouraged to smoke somewhere made up of purely smokers, leaving the non-smokers to ***** about smoking to...themselves.

I guess what I never understood is why non-smokers feel so strongly about smoking. Just don't get it - it doesn't really affect them in anyway, in fact the disgusting amount of tax we pay on our tobacco and cigarettes is sneakily squirreled away for the NHS, so...

It's the same sometimes when you announce your vegetarians, and many of the meat-eaters in the room will start banging on about how it's not 'natural', how we 'should' eat meat, blah blah blah. In both cases it's just: thanks for your opinion...do you really need to have one?

ReputationRep:
    Smokers contribute something like £8bn of tax a year and only 'take' £2bn in health costs. As a non-smoker I say smoke, smoke and smoke some more!!

ReputationRep:
    He asked for health benefits, most of these suggestions have nothing to do with health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtired)
    He asked for health benefits, most of these suggestions have nothing to do with health.
    Even more of them aren't actually benefits, just people being flippant.

ReputationRep:
    I think the debate has branched out somewhat 5 pages in...

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't even supposed to be a debate in the first place, it was a simple question..

ReputationRep:
    And most questions don't have definite answers - hence why we have debate. Heck, a maths genius told me it was possible to prove that 1+1 didn't necessarily = 2.

ReputationRep:
    health benefits of smoking? LMOA @ question..
    are you just trying to feel better about doing it or to find an excuse for doing it? LOL

ReputationRep:
    http://www.quit.org.au/quit/fandi/fandi/c03s14.htm

While smoking has been clearly identified as the cause of many diseases and other health problems, as described above, it has also been observed to reduce the incidence of some diseases (endometrial cancer, Parkinson's disease, ulcerative colitis, hypertension of pregnancy and Alzheimer's disease. This is known as a 'protective effect'.

I guess that doesnt mean much since almost everything either reduces or increases the chance of diseases

ReputationRep:
    Well to answer the original question then, 50% of people who smoke will suffer no adverse health problems and as such will simply be more relaxed. Those who say it only relaxes you because you are satisfying a nicotine addiction clearly have never smoked - I've tried it a couple of times and there is no doubt that you get a rush of relaxation. I choose not to do it because I can't afford to and also I don't want to be in the 50% of people who end up suffering from it.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco...its_of_smoking

ReputationRep:
    The bottom line is, the government isn't trying to get people to stop smoking (and therefore reduce their tax revenue) for fun. They are doing it to save lives.

I can only just tolerate people smoking alone but if anyone smokes in a public area, or parents in a house with children etc., I am absolutely disgusted by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    It's the same sometimes when you announce your vegetarians, and many of the meat-eaters in the room will start banging on about how it's not 'natural', how we 'should' eat meat, blah blah blah. In both cases it's just: thanks for your opinion...do you really need to have one?
    you vegetarians are just as bad, if not worse :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    Because being fat never leads to health problems?
    Yes, it does, but I would rather have health problems due to being fat, than smoking. That was my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)
    I'm not addicted and it still relaxes. Therefore the effect clearly isn't one of satisfying an addiction.

Feel free to be fat, I won't complain. So why complain about other people smoking in their own privacy?
    Even though I am a non smoker, and strongly against smoking, I wasn't complaining at you, or people smoking in their own privacy
    I was trying to justify why smoking may relax you, or control your weight.

ReputationRep:
    this threads actually quite funny!!!

there aren't actual health benefits but yes it does relax you and help you calm down. especially in these stressful A level times!

and i saw someone mention before about the smoking ban and how the non smokers have no one to moan at now...LMAO so true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine710)
    Even though I am a non smoker, and strongly against smoking, I wasn't complaining at you, or people smoking in their own privacy
    I was trying to justify why smoking may relax you, or control your weight.
    The problem is that smoking is generally a social activity. Saying that, the risks of passive smoking, especially outdoors, are greatly overstated.

ReputationRep:
    people who smoke for relaxation should try opiates instead

much more effective and far less health risks, with probably a similar level of addictiveness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine710)
    Yes, it does, but I would rather have health problems due to being fat, than smoking. That was my point.
    Well that's pretty ****ing stupid...

ReputationRep:
    You people make me want a cigarette...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.