Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If other girls are how I am then yeah because I TOTALLY, REALLY stressed out about that almost more than doing bad in my exams. Luckily I think me being so stressed delayed it and it only started just before my last exam.

Back in 6th form I worse a suit and that just about covered that area so even if the worse should happen it wouldn't be visible. But not in uni... And in that last exam I was so much pain, I've had worse but that's not the point, I didn't need that added to the stress of the exam being really difficult.

ReputationRep:
    And I get 'period headaches' (as I call them) during my period, I don't get headaches any other time unless Im a bit dehydrated but I just drink something and it goes. Or if Im REALLY tired but I just sleep and it goes. But period headaches are worse than regular headaches (for me anyway) and nothing really makes them go away, they just go on their own. I would like to know what causes that though, if it's the lost of iron or what. I normally get em when it's just starting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Boys - do you think it harder for girls or is it something you think is unfair to think boys dont have it hard too,

and

Girls - do you think you do have it harder
    Anon, I think you need to define 'it' in the first instance. Basic biology dictates something is clearly going wrong here...

ReputationRep:
    There's no way to exactly prove how much pain any individual is experiencing compared to another. Everyone has their own individual pain thresholds anyway. I think it's unlucky for girls during exams though regardless, although I think Man Flu is something women make up to claim men are wimps, as usually it's only girls who talk about manflu!

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it varies from girl to girl... some girls I know get terrible period pains up to the point of passing out whereas I only get a little pain... I was 'on' during my last two exams and although I did have a tummy ache I'm not going to blame that if I don't do as well as I should have done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    It was the idea that if you are in pain, your concentration is affected. Also, if you are quite heavy, you might be uncomfortable / stressed about it in the exam. (I think lol).
    right ^o) the life threatening condition of period pains! It's a bit OTT surely by the age of 17/18 most rational people have learnt to live with the fact that they get periods, whack in a tampon and away you go...1/2 the time you wouldn't really know, and if you have been getting pains, go on a run before your exam! It'll soon stop the pain!

Mann i hate people who use there period as an excuse! ...Rant over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddi_666)
    right ^o) the life threatening condition of period pains! It's a bit OTT surely by the age of 17/18 most rational people have learnt to live with the fact that they get periods, whack in a tampon and away you go...1/2 the time you wouldn't really know, and if you have been getting pains, go on a run before your exam! It'll soon stop the pain!

Mann i hate people who use there period as an excuse! ...Rant over
    I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I was suggesting why people might think it is an issue, not making excuses for it.

It isn't a problem I have anyway but different people cope in different ways. So, if someone has a real rough time of it, for whatever reason, I understand how that could affect their exam performance. That said, I think it is something women have to deal with and if it is a particular issue for an individual, they benefit from going to the doctors and checking all is well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    I hope that wasn't aimed at me. I was suggesting why people might think it is an issue, not making excuses for it.

It isn't a problem I have anyway but different people cope in different ways. So, if someone has a real rough time of it, for whatever reason, I understand how that could affect their exam performance. That said, I think it is something women have to deal with and if it is a particular issue for an individual, they benefit from going to the doctors and checking all is well.
    no sorry didnt mean to aim it at you...i hit quote cos i was too lazy to scroll down! My bad...Have some rep as form of apology

ReputationRep:
    I've never had bad period pains in an exam, but I sympathise with any poor girl who has!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddi_666)
    no sorry didnt mean to aim it at you...i hit quote cos i was too lazy to scroll down! My bad...Have some rep as form of apology
    Don't be silly lol. I just didn't want people to think I am pushing the idea that girls have it harder than boys lol.

=D

(Original post by blueoyene)
    whoever asked this... you make girls sound like wimps.

Hardly a constructive point..

And no that was not my intention at all!... people have not thought that way either & I think someone even posted '....Girls Rule' so dont worry

ReputationRep:
    Boys - do you think it makes it does harder for girls or is it something you think is unfair to think boys dont have it hard too,

and

Girls - do you think you do have it harder- especially when on your periods during an exam or the exam season
    Oh, the irony.

(Original post by imtired)
    These periods are so weird, they just seem to be random, one person gets cramps in their legs, another gets sick and somebody else goes out and gets a takeaway :confused:
    Interesting boys point of view:p:

ReputationRep:
    God, it's only a period. Hardly going to affect your academic performance any more than a flu might.

(Original post by Profesh)
    Oh, the irony.

That took time....boys I thought 1 of you might highlight that earlier with the ideas in your minds:p:

ReputationRep:
    as other ppl have said summer is an awful time for fellas during exams we get sooo distracted by the pretty girls :P

ReputationRep:
    Hardly a constructive point..

And no that was not my intention at all!... people have not thought that way either & I think someone even posted '....Girls Rule' so dont worry
    The thread itself isn't very constructive though, it only takes in to consideration the possible disadvantages of a girl on her period. There are people out there who deal with things much worse than a few stomach cramps and the fact that some people can care so much about an issue which for the majority of people isn't even relevant just shows what lack of perspective some people have. I'm not saying that for those who it really does concern it is something that should be noted, it is, but only for the select few. For the rest who moan, and snipe about every little thing they are only belittling the pain that others suffer.
    However, clearly asking people to take that in to consideration is too much to ask for some people, at least judging by the neg reps I received for my previous post.

ReputationRep:
    Girls have it harder in life...don't really see the exam relevance. You learn to deal with periods, but they're undoubtedly a handicap for some people. I used to have terrible periods and I don't see why admitting they're not nice is so frowned upon by some people. Lots of people have relatively painless, light periods - woohoo, good for you, but don't assume everyone's so lucky. I always resented the attitude that it was 'only' a period, so you mustn't whinge - I personally never really told anyone about it except my doctor but I think some people have a tendency to assume that because they're okay, everyone else must be exaggerating. As if they can objectively assess other's pain. My mum always said periods were to disable women a bit so they were equal to men...obviously I don't really think that but it certainly helps to think like that when you're in total agony and being sick from pain!

ReputationRep:
    Even if girls did find it harder, which they allegedly don't, surely it would just about start to even out the fact that the exams system favours girls and their methods of learning.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say being a girl makes exams significantly worse, though I must admit I dread the idea of coming on just before an exam. I suppose it would prevent some girls from being able to revise like they could if they weren't on their period, but I'm sure boys get distracted by things sometimes as well.
    To those of you calling women "whiney" and "pathetic", you (and I) have absolutely no idea what really awful period pain is like, so it's all very well of you to say "just take some painkillers or use a hot water bottle" but this doesn't help really bad period pain.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.