Turn on thread page Beta

Local Bus Services watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don't even get me started on the bus service in Bristol!!!!!!!
    A Bristol day rider is £4 20, but this won't get me frommy boyfriend's house in Knowle to my house in Portishead, because even though the journey takes 20 mins, it involves going out of Bristol into neighbouring North Somerset so I have to buy two singles... this comes to around £7!!

The buses are also infrequent (every half hour from where I live to Bristol), unreliable and very tatty.

I swear that if the Government standardised bus fayres and improved the networks, they would increase the usage SO SO much that oeople would start to ditch their cars and get the bus instead.

Also I just thought of the most ridiculous 'journey' I have ever had to take. When my boyfriend lived in his old house, I had to get a 45 minute bus ride and then another 45 min bus ride with a 10-15 minute walk at each end, and you can do this journey by car in 20 mins. They should make bus routes more direct!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_2)
    Don't even get me started on the bus service in Bristol!!!!!!!
    A Bristol day rider is £4 20, but this won't get me frommy boyfriend's house in Knowle to my house in Portishead, because even though the journey takes 20 mins, it involves going out of Bristol into neighbouring North Somerset so I have to buy two singles... this comes to around £7!!

The buses are also infrequent (every half hour from where I live to Bristol), unreliable and very tatty.

I swear that if the Government standardised bus fayres and improved the networks, they would increase the usage SO SO much that oeople would start to ditch their cars and get the bus instead.

Also I just thought of the most ridiculous 'journey' I have ever had to take. When my boyfriend lived in his old house, I had to get a 45 minute bus ride and then another 45 min bus ride with a 10-15 minute walk at each end, and you can do this journey by car in 20 mins. They should make bus routes more direct!!!
    OMG the Bristol service is bad... but look at the Wiltshire one. Least Bristol buses seem to come a lot more often than mine (try every hour to every 2 hours...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Making up prices? Expensive

And you can't add those costs in, that's what I've been saying. It's like this:

People own cars.
    The councils/government want people to leave the car at home, and take public transport.
    While the car is sitting at home, you still have to pay all of those things, so you can add them on top of your bus fairs, just as you could add them on top of petrol.
    This thread has people ridiculously suggesting that people shouldn't even own cars - that's what I'm getting at.

You don't have to use expensive car parks - in fact, I can't remember the last time I did.
    No, I'm not. The only car in my household is an M-Reg Diesel Rover (We can't afford to change) that doesn't do an awful lot to the gallon - The turbo has failed but it is still taking in the same amount of fuel to power a turbo.

Why is so totally ridiculous that people should not own cars? It is possible, and I find it totally arrogant that you seem to be assuming that eveyone can afford to run a car in the fist place - I was forced to give up mine because of the costs. It's also arrogant to assume that everyone thinks that's pumping the world full of air pollution and **** is really the best way forwad. Some of us ENJOY the idea that we're not stuck behind the wheel of a car, adding to the evils of the world. The world has suvived without cars before, you know.

Also, do whatever googling you need to do, there are very very very VERY few free public car parking/cheap car parking in Peterborough - The cost I have quoted is from Queensgate multistory; Every other car park within walking distance is owned by NCP which is notoriously expensive.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.