Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i find these days "indie" is used as a term to refer to most rock-ish music

i prefer to say guitar music. "indie" annoys me because most "indie" bands are not on idependent labels (as has been said). also probably because when i was younger i was really into the white stripes, muse and placebo, which are sort of "indie" and i get annoyed by my younger self and my naievity. i also get annoyed by my over use of "..."

also a lot of "indie" nights that i used to go to in bristol were filled with pretentious people in vintage dresses or cardigans & skinny jeans, overly dressed and seemed quite intimidating (obviosuly not all of them). also, you can't really dance to indie music unless it's sort of moshing... or kind fo swaying. so i prefer electronic music in clubs - i mean you can really dance to trance, d&b, electro, breaks... or stuff that i dont know what genre they call it but it's kind of funky and a bit like dubstep.

if i was going to listen to guitar music i would prefer to listen to babyshambles/libertines/pulp/clash/buzzcocks/radiohead/arcade fire, although arctic monkeys, and muse are ok sometimes. stuff like death cab for cutie, long blondes (and other stuff a bit like that), i find a bit pretentious... or maybe it's just that i need to put more effort into liking them and i'd prefer to put the effort into discovering new music in the electronic genre

i particularly like the libertines, some people would say they are "indie" although many say they were part of the garage-rock revival. maybe some day i will be annoyed at my younger self's obsession with the libertines: i have a habiit of getting extremely obsessed with bands and then getting embarrassed by my former obsession. right now i cant get enough of any libertines/babyshambles/pete doherty related music. i dont care how other people negatively perceive pete doherty: the music speaks for itself (and although the guy has acted badly at times, a lot of his interviews show his intelligent, witty, insightful side: the good far outweighs the bad. most people who say they "hate" pete doherty have never seen interviews which show what kind of person he is, read any of his poetry, or given any of his lyrics a proper listen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellabella)
    i find these days "indie" is used as a term to refer to most rock-ish music

i prefer to say guitar music. "indie" annoys me because most "indie" bands are not on idependent labels (as has been said). also probably because when i was younger i was really into the white stripes, muse and placebo, which are sort of "indie" and i get annoyed by my younger self and my naievity. i also get annoyed by my over use of "..."

also a lot of "indie" nights that i used to go to in bristol were filled with pretentious people in vintage dresses or cardigans & skinny jeans, overly dressed and seemed quite intimidating (obviosuly not all of them). also, you can't really dance to indie music unless it's sort of moshing... or kind fo swaying. so i prefer electronic music in clubs - i mean you can really dance to trance, d&b, electro, breaks... or stuff that i dont know what genre they call it but it's kind of funky and a bit like dubstep.

if i was going to listen to guitar music i would prefer to listen to babyshambles/libertines/pulp/clash/buzzcocks/radiohead/arcade fire, although arctic monkeys, and muse are ok sometimes. stuff like death cab for cutie, long blondes (and other stuff a bit like that), i find a bit pretentious... or maybe it's just that i need to put more effort into liking them and i'd prefer to put the effort into discovering new music in the electronic genre

i particularly like the libertines, some people would say they are "indie" although many say they were part of the garage-rock revival. maybe some day i will be annoyed at my younger self's obsession with the libertines: i have a habiit of getting extremely obsessed with bands and then getting embarrassed by my former obsession. right now i cant get enough of any libertines/babyshambles/pete doherty related music. i dont care how other people negatively perceive pete doherty: the music speaks for itself (and although the guy has acted badly at times, a lot of his interviews show his intelligent, witty, insightful side: the good far outweighs the bad. most people who say they "hate" pete doherty have never seen interviews which show what kind of person he is, read any of his poetry, or given any of his lyrics a proper listen).
    If anyone needs to be embarrassed over a previous band obsession it's me and Sum 41 circa 2002

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    If anyone needs to be embarrassed over a previous band obsession it's me and Sum 41 circa 2002
    Indeed. It was a phase I fortunately got over quite quickly.
    I now look back in horror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    What is the deal with so many people on here hating it with a passion???

I enjoy bands such as The Wombats, Fratellis, Pigeon Detectives, The Kooks etc... what do people hate about them? I enjoy them because the lyrics are easy to pick up and many of their songs put me in a better mood. Sure there are a large number of smaller bands that seem to give out the same old songs over and over but isn't that true in any genre? There are always gonna be "copycat" bands out there arent there?

Im just confused about the increased hatred towards "indie"
    Well I don't hate Indie but I'm not a fan at all. I just don't like the voices the vocalists have. To me they just seem to have no talent. It's hard to describe it because a lot of people don't seem to hear the same thing I do, but to me it's like they are trying to sing but really can't. Also, you say their songs put you in a better mood, well to me I think the music is quite depressing. The Fratellis isn't but to me a lot of them are e.g. The Kooks.

I think like anything it is personal choice and everyone likes different styles and doesn't like others. I think people hear music differently. Many people would hate the music I listen to. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What is generally labelled as 'indie' (mainy by the ghastly NME) is just awful. I just think that bands like the fratellis, the wombats, the pigeon detectives etc are just painfully mediocre; the music they churn out is of poor poor quality, and as a music lover it pisses me off so so much!

Of course very very few bands are going to be mostly sui generis in their style, but it so so ANNOYING that a lot of these so called 'indie' bands seem to feed off this illusory originality. For GOODNESS sake. So many of them are so prententious and just so so pathetic. Urgh!

I'll stick to some good old brit pop that you very much!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.