Why do you hate arrogance? Watch

DrDuck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, arrogance, I'm afraid of showing confidence in case it is interpreted as arrogance. I have an honest question here TSRites, if somebody is obviously better than those around them at an activity, is it arrogance to accept that fact? To clarify, this person is in fact better than those around them and is not claiming that they are in any way better than they are, but simply accepting that those around them are not as good at *insert activity here*
Oh and this is private acceptance rather than shameless boasting. An example being that admitting that you found an exam relatively easy, when asked by another rather than broadcasting the fact.

I've never been in this situation, but as I said, I do fear that showing confidence in my abilities will be seen as arrogance and turn people away.
Poshtotty
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by saturn)
Why do people hate arrogant people and those who have lots of confidence? I don't mind people like that and use them as role models (I have too little confidence lol) I can't pinpoint why people hate them, deep down is it jelousy because they are happy with themselves?
There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Most people tend to like confident people because they act a lot more natural and they're happy with themselves. Arrogant people go OTT and think they're better than they are and that's why people dislike arrogance. And it's usually only people who are insecure that are arrogant as they feel they have something to prove.
Aaron_1507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Arrogance is a paradox
Ashes_to_Ashes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't think confidence necessarily = arrogance, it is more when someone is full of themselves/see themselves as superior to many others.

It is unattactive usually because they have nothing to actually support it and only care for themselves. I ususally find them boring and dull above everything.
kiddranc
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by saturn)
Why do people hate arrogant people and those who have lots of confidence? I don't mind people like that and use them as role models (I have too little confidence lol) I can't pinpoint why people hate them, deep down is it jelousy because they are happy with themselves?
That's not what arrogance means. Arrogance is narcissism and self-absorbion and few people like that.
scout5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DrDuck)
Oh, arrogance, I'm afraid of showing confidence in case it is interpreted as arrogance. I have an honest question here TSRites, if somebody is obviously better than those around them at an activity, is it arrogance to accept that fact? To clarify, this person is in fact better than those around them and is not claiming that they are in any way better than they are, but simply accepting that those around them are not as good at *insert activity here*
Oh and this is private acceptance rather than shameless boasting. An example being that admitting that you found an exam relatively easy, when asked by another rather than broadcasting the fact.

I've never been in this situation, but as I said, I do fear that showing confidence in my abilities will be seen as arrogance and turn people away.
no that's not arrogance, it becomes arrogance if you then assume that everyone should have found it easy eg. the difference between: "yeh that exam was ok, I was expecting a lot worse, so I'm pretty happy, how did you find it?" and "oh my god, that was so easy, wasn't that so easy? i'm glad i didn't waste my time revising for it."

i actually find people who don't accept their talents REALLY annoying, it's good to have confidence in things that you can do well, otherwise it can just seem a bit like fishing for compliments.
Silveras
Report 10 years ago
dont mix arrogance with confidence, but as silent ninja says, who wants to know someone who thinks they're right all the time

Much rather know someone whos confident enough to admit thier mistakes rather than try to make out they made none
xZainabx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
fine line between arrogance and confidence!
Nothing wrong with confidence though-I think it makes life so much easier if you have confidence in yourself, just dont go blurting how fantastic you are to the whole world!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.43%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.14%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.43%

Watched Threads