Turn on thread page Beta

A Level Results watch

• View Poll Results: What are your A Level results (actual or predicted)?
    > AAA
    27.14%
    AAA
    20.00%
    AAB
    17.14%
    ABB
    12.29%
    BBB
    7.43%
    BBC
    5.14%
    BCC
    4.00%
    CCC
    2.00%
    CCD
    1.14%
    CDD
    0.29%
    DDD
    0.57%
    DDE
    0.29%
    DEE
    0.29%
    EEE
    0.29%
    2.00%

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kevster)
      oh so basically you have to do maths to be considered 'intelligent' is that what you are proposing?
      It's not a case of being considered intelligent. It's a case of "proving" you're intelligent, which is why unis blacklist some less academic subjects.

Stop picking arguments with people. Your red gems speak volumes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vjyrik)
      That is correct. (Well, not exactly - but anything of the list of sciences and languages as well as English Literature is academically rigorous).
      rrrrrrrrriggggggggggggggghhhhhhh hhhhtttttttttttt.

I'll not bother dignifying that with a response.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by seanw)
      Surely it would be AAAB+M?
      Nah because it could be anywhere between a U and a Distinction, my school hasn't sat anyone for AEA Chem before so we have no idea how I'm gonna do...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Greatleysteg)
      It's not a case of being considered intelligent. It's a case of "proving" you're intelligent, which is why unis blacklist some less academic subjects.

Stop picking arguments with people. Your red gems speak volumes.
      nice the way you have avoided my last post. You not noticed your contradictory posts genius?

ReputationRep:
      nice the way you have avoided my last post. You not noticed your contradictory posts genius?
      Nice the way you missed my reply.

ReputationRep:
      Predicted: AAAAA(B/C)aab + AEA Maths

Need: AAA

I already have those in bold . One A is useless though, General Studies :p:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by stordoff)
      Predicted: AAAAACaab

I already have those in bold
      Wow, congrats - did you do all those last year, or are you doing them over three years?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by affinity89)
      Firstly, that tag question is rude. I am not a stupid person just because I disagree with your point of view.

I did GCSE ICT and got 100%. Woo for me. But, when I look at the work some of my friends have done for their A Level course, it is competely removed from the things I studied and the things the average computer user needs for domestic activities. Hence, they have learnt new skills that would be useful in the business market.
      I'm just puzzled with the meaning of 'learning new skills'. :confused:

Did you gain skills or knowledge? It is useful that you can apply this knowledge, so the soft subjects aren't always bad. :p: Then I could just argue that you'd be better off just going for an apprenticeship, where you would gain much more than just sitting in a classroom and writing coursework all day.

ReputationRep:

Sick, good job!

ReputationRep:
      Wow, congrats - did you do all those last year, or are you doing them over three years?
      One is General Studies, did the AS in Y11 and just sat the A2 exams in year 12.

Another is Maths, did C1, C2 in Y11, and then C3, C4, S1, D1 in Y12.

The AS is in systems, done 'normally', in Y12.

The ones to complete are Computing, Additional Further Maths (both 1 year 'fast track'), Physics (AS done), Further Maths (2 modules done) and AS Stats. Good Y13 I've had :p:

ReputationRep:

I quote you 'The point is, so many more people are getting AAA every year, that it has become boringly easy

I quote you again ‘In saying that AAA is easier to get, I am not belittling anyone's achievments, and I certainly didn't say it was simple.

Nah, thats not a contradiction..............or is it?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      so you chuck in general studs and further maths to make yourself out top be some genius, if you were doing was 4 A-levels plus two sciences your argument would be plausible.
      further maths is proberbly the strongest a-level out there.. maths is found hard by many, yet further maths is bigger step from that.. in fact it is regarded as such a strong subject by uni's that top uni's will offer you AAB instead of AAA, if you take further maths... however, i do agree with general studies, that is just a ****ing joke.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vjyrik)
      I'm just puzzled with the meaning of 'learning new skills'. :confused:

Did you gain skills or knowledge? It is useful that you can apply this knowledge, so the soft subjects aren't always bad. :p: Then I could just argue that you'd be better off just going for an apprenticeship, where you would gain much more than just sitting in a classroom and writing coursework all day.
      They gain knowledge of computer based skills.

And no they are not all better off doing an apprenticeship. Especially as most are going on to do university courses in Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
      I don't think it would be correct to term it easier though I guess I understand what Greatleysteg means because more people now are achieving grade As and its becoming less rare for people to do 5 A levels and get As in them...I don't think it makes it easier, I think society has got more meritocratic now than before and students in general work harder to achieve better grades and be successful academically

I don't think any subjects should be termed "Mickey Mouse" subjects because what people find hard differs with every individual but Oxbridge is more 'academic' so I guess with all their rep and stuff they kind of have a right to decide which subject they accept and which they don't regardless of how pissy that makes me :mad:

I guess subjects like Maths are termed more hard core because more people find it hard [maybe because more people take it?] while subjects like Film Studies is termed as a soft A level because while it may be hard, less people find it hard [once again possibly because less people take it]

From 2009 onwards they are changing A levels from 6 units to 5 units!

ReputationRep:
      I'm likely looking at an ACC at most, I've kind of not done any revision the whole of my 6th form.

I actually done more revision for my GCSE's and that wasn't a lot at all. lol.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by affinity89)
      They gain knowledge of computer based skills.

And no they are not all better off doing an apprenticeship. Especially as most are going on to do university courses in Computer Science.
      And you realise that ICT has pretty much nothing to do with Computer Science?
      Please read: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/u...te/myths/#CSIT http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/u...s/#CSITAlevels

Good unis won't even let you in to do Computer Science if you don't have Mathematics. And they discourage you from taking ICT and such, as well.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Cupid Stunt)
      I'm likely looking at an ACC at most, I've kind of not done any revision the whole of my 6th form.

I actually done more revision for my GCSE's and that wasn't a lot at all. lol.
      Getting ACC without any revision is pretty darn good lol. Good luck anyway.

Sorry I couldn't put all the options on the poll. There are not enough spaces .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lou76854)
      People who say this are usually the snobby students who take subjects such as chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and English Literature. They believe they are better than everyone just because they take traditional subjects and look down their nose at anyone else yet they don't have a clue what each subjects entail and how hard they actually are.
      i do all those subjects other than further maths,i do biology instead,but i dont look down on any subject.
      Just to let you know not everyone is a snob.

ReputationRep:

hey, mine are pretty similar

A (Biology)
      A (French)
      A (German)
      A (Chemistry)
      A (Maths)
      a (Further Maths)

already finished A2 Biology last year
      + I have another useless A in General Studies
      + AEA Chemistry

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kathrin)
      hey, mine are pretty similar

A (Biology)
      A (French)
      A (German)
      A (Chemistry)
      A (Maths)
      a (Further Maths)

already finished A2 Biology last year
      + I have another useless A in General Studies
      + AEA Chemistry
      will you/have you applied/been accepted to oxbridge?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.