Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summer2009)
    I thought that too, until I read this on the ngdp website:-

'Passing the assessment centre is not, however, a guarantee of a place. The final stage is a local authority interview. We really want you to sell yourself and your skills at your interview – even at this final stage, a number of candidates will be competing for each place and we are looking for the brightest and best talent'

So that makes me think maybe it higher than 1 in 3 odds at the assessment centre?
    Quite possibly. But see here: http://www.idea.gov.uk/idk/core/page.do?pageId=4431100

''The final stage of recruitment is a local interview and selection will be based on cultural fit. The interview will be hosted and delivered by local authorities themselves, to enable them to make the final selection.''

ReputationRep:
    I asked at my Info session how many people would be at each assessment centre and they said about 36- so if anyone knows how many assessment days there are then we can probably work out how many people per job.

Also, does anyone have any idea about what they are going to put as their locational preferences? Ive no idea yet!

ReputationRep:
    I also asked at the information session and was told there is 212 people through to assessment centres, so out of the 2500 ish that applied that's pretty good going!

good luck at the assessment centres everyone!

ReputationRep:
    anyone going to the london assessment on the 8th of april 2009 ?(NGDP), it will be nice to chat about what to prepare for the assessment. I am extremely nervous bout the whole assessment, I really want this one bad.

Btw, I just joined new. HELLO EVERYONE. IM RAJ!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was told at the info session that 220 people are going through to the assessment centres. Each assessment centre will contain approx. 20-24people which will be divided into groups.

Out of the 220 applicants, approx 50% will pass the assessment stage, leaving 110 applicants for around 80 positions. However, I was told that because some applicants find better employment offers elsewhere, around 6-10 withdraw their application. That leaves around 100 applicants fighting for 80 positions.

Obviously, around 20 will not get an offer from the local council. The rest will (hopefully).

Hope this piece of info boosts the confidence of everyone waiting to go to the assessment centre!

ReputationRep:
    Thats good to know Raj thanks

Did everyone else get the email saying we no longer have to do a 'motivation for learning' interview, i wonder why they scrapped that? I am quite looking forward to the assessment centre, it should be a good day, nervous about writing the policy document though as I don't have much expertise in that area..

I have an assessent centre next week as well so hopefully that will give me a good experience of what to expect, but I really really want to get onto the NGDP!

Are you guys all still at uni or graduated already?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I got an email saying that as well. I still think that the motivation for learning might be incorporated with the local council interviews? What do you think?

Anyway, I, like Jenny, have little experience in report writting! I'm dreading that part of the assessment.

Which job do you have next weeks assessment for Jenny? whatever it is, it will definately help you for the NGDP assessment!

I don't know about others, but I'm still in uni, graduating this year! You?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Loughborough at the moment studying politics, really looking forward to graduating now (and hopefully working!).

I have an assessment centre with Network Rail next week which also looks like a really good scheme, but if i had the choice of both I'd go for NGDP (although i may not have a choice!). Should be a good experience though as I've never been to an assessment centre before.

Have you thought about which region you'd like to work in? I really have no preference at the moment so am struggling to choose!

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer any central London council to be honest. In fact, as I am from tower hamlets, I would love to get into tower hamlets council as it would mean I have local knowledge which would make the job more interesting and effective. But right now I'm worried more about the assessment itself!

Do you have other employment opportunities lined up other than network rail and NGDP? I don't, I have placed all my employment eggs into the NGDP basket and I am really worried about not getting in!

Anyway , where and when is your assessment?

ReputationRep:
    I only have the Network Rail and NGDP opportunities, so I'm really hoping I get one of them!

My assessment isn't until the 15th April in London, I'm away in Spain right before then so it was the only one I could make. It's still such a long way away and I'd quite like to be able to do it sooner, but at least this way I can get some feedback about what to expect

You sound really keen on the NGDP, and being enthusiastic is definately one of the things they will be looking for so I'm sure that will come across really positively at the assessment centre!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the vote of confidence.!!!

anyway, have a good trip and good luck in both of your assessments...maybe il see you in the NGDP induction if both of us get through!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Raj - I'm doing the 8th April one too. Just wondering - have you received any post/correspondence regarding it? I have heard absolutely nothing, and I need to phone them up and enquire regarding it, I think. I didn't even get that the motivation for learning interview was scrapped - as far as I am concerned I didn't even know there was one involved? Somewhere the wires must have been crossed. Will ring them first thing Monday morning methinks.

We both have a good shot, I would love to get this particular opportunity as well. I'd prefer North London or Cambridge. Fingers crossed for both of us.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Raj - I'm doing the 8th April one too. Just wondering - have you received any post/correspondence regarding it? I have heard absolutely nothing, and I need to phone them up and enquire regarding it, I think. I didn't even get that the motivation for learning interview was scrapped - as far as I am concerned I didn't even know there was one involved? Somewhere the wires must have been crossed. Will ring them first thing Monday morning methinks.

We both have a good shot, I would love to get this particular opportunity as well. I'd prefer North London or Cambridge. Fingers crossed for both of us.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Reema. The last thing I got from them was the email a week or two back just saying that the motivation for learning interview wont be included in the assessment. It also was a reminder I guess about the assessment. Nothing since then, but I was told in the information session that we might get a text or something nearer the time. I dont think its nothing to worry about (if you dont get an email).

Anyway, its good to know someone (even if its just through threads) who will be there...who knows, we might even be in the same group during the group assessment!

ReputationRep:
    is there any one out there who has already attended the assessment centre? If so could you kindly share what happenedvand how it was? What did you have to do and how difficult was it?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey all, i have already been to one of the assessment days in leeds, and the main thing is, don't panic! be prepared for a tough and challenging day, you will come away exhausted, as there is so much information to take on board in a very short space of time! the day is divided into a number of tasks, and everyone had varied opinions about which went well and which ones didn't! i know it sounds cheesy but just be yourself, there isn't much you can do to prepare apart from a really good night's sleep and make sure you have breakfast, loads of stomachs were rumbling by about half 11!
    this is the second assessment day i have been to this year, and i must admit this was more challenging than the first, as you have to take on a role and complete a number of tasks based around this role, so it was quite different to anything else i have ever done...
    also there were only 18 people at the assessment day i attended, and apparently there are 212 overall and around half get through to the next stage. you have to give your area preferences on the day so it would be wise to come along with an idea of where you want to be... and you should hear back in 7-10 days (i got an email today saying i should hear by the end of the week!) any questions, feel free to ask although obviously i can't give you guys an unfair advantage!!! GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing what happened!!!

Just wondering, what are the activities exactly?

Role Play, Written Report and Group Exercise-Im I correct?
    Also, how difficult are the activities considering the time they give you to complete them?

Thank you again for sharing! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    activities are role play, group exercise, report writing and a presentation. i would say time is a HUGE issue, make the most of every second you have for the tasks and try to take on board as much information as you can in the time provided. i'm sure they won't expect everything to be polished and perfect though, its just not possible!!

ReputationRep:
    So did anyone find out if they passedghe assessment or not?

ReputationRep:
    Well I found out that I hadn't quite made an immediate pass, but was 'on hold'/still being considered and would hear 20th. Feels like a long wait, hehe. Fingers crossed!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.