(Original post by flugestuge)
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    i came to the UK in year 6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    i came to the UK in year 6.
    Ok, that explains it.
    Cambridge is not well outside the UK.
    I suppose that is why you only heard of it once you began studying here.:yep:

IMO it is quite ignorant to not have even heard of Cambridge wherever you are from. Considering it is one of the best universities in the world...

I had heard of Dartmouth, Princeton, etc. By the time i was about 12. Cant remember not having heard of Yale or Harvard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    IMO it is quite ignorant to not have even heard of Cambridge wherever you are from. Considering it is one of the best universities in the world...

I had heard of Dartmouth, Princeton, etc. By the time i was about 12. Cant remember not having heard of Yale or Harvard.
    I really don't see why many people would care or need to know about Cambridge. Obviously there are circumstances when people should need to know about it.
    I think a lot of people would be surprised by a list of the top american universities, many of which I hadn't really heard that much about until I decided to apply to the states for grad school

I really don't see why many people would care or need to know about Cambridge.
    No real need its just kind of a basic level of general knowledge that I would expect, at least for those who are well educated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    No real need its just kind of a basic level of general knowledge that I would expect, at least for those who are well educated.
    How developed should knowledge be?Which of these should the well educated have heard of and how much should they know about each?! Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Georgetown, UPenn, Columbia, Berkeley, Michigan, Wisconsin, Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, Brown, William and George, Amherst,? etc etc

Well out of that list id expect people to have heard of HYPSM and Berkeley as a bare minimum and to know that they exist and are some of the best universities in the world.
    That would be the minimum standard for those who considered themselves educated.

Preferably the rest of the ivies though.

Out of that list I was aware that all are top universities. Apart from Wisconsin maybe. William and George?? Never heard of it. Heard of a William and Mary and Williams college though.

Any more / knowing where these universities are located which state/town etc. what there strong points are i wouldnt really say I would expect.

ReputationRep:
    I know well that there's no tangible difference between Cantabrigian colleges. I didn't actually think that there was a 'best college'; I was sarcastically quoting the person before me because the same question is continually asked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    Bit strange considering the town Harvard is in was named Cambridge after the uni here in the UK..
    Was just going to say that. Plus the fact that the chap who founded Harvard graduated from Emmanuel, Cambridge...

But, if you say you study in Cambridge in the US, they think you are referring to either Harvard or MIT. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leprechaun)
    But, if you say you study in Cambridge in the US, they think you are referring to either Harvard or MIT. :shifty:
    Obviously.
    If you say Paris everyone thinks of Paris, France and not Paris, Oneida County.

Similarly, Cambridge, Massachusetts is what everyone in the world thinks of and not some small village in East Anglia. :yep: :yep: :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Similarly, Cambridge, Massachusetts is what everyone in the world thinks of and not some small village in East Anglia. :yep: :yep: :yep:
    Cambridge, Massachusetts is smaller than Cambridge, UK.

ReputationRep:
    Smaller but better, more populated by intelligent people and more famous.
    Cambridge, Massachussetts has Harvard and MIT.
    Over 100 Nobel Laureates have been produced by Cambridge, Mass.
    Cambridge University has the most Nobel Laureates of any university in the world.

Your arrogance of ignorance suggests that you don't attend either Harvard of MIT. :shifty:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Leprechaun)
    Cambridge University has the most Nobel Laureates of any university in the world.

Your arrogance of ignorance suggests that you don't attend either Harvard of MIT. :shifty:
    Of course he doesn't. Ignore him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    I've met quite a few people from the US who claimed never to have heard of cambridge, whereas they were like omg oxford's the best isn't it. I'm quite outraged to be honest, is oxford a lot more famous in the US or am I just speaking to really dumb americans?
    I think you were just speaking to really dumb americans because if they never heard of cambridge before then what on earth they know beside oxford n harvard

ReputationRep:
    The dumb Americans maybe don't much much about Cambridge, but the smart ones know plenty! The stupid ones give us a bad name. I'm American, and I'm choosing to apply to Cambridge. I have no idea if I'll get in though. It's all very confusing to try and match my qualifications with the English ones.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously.
    If you say Paris everyone thinks of Paris, France and not Paris, Oneida County.

Lol you troll.

Frankly, it's not surprising that Cambridge isn't that well known in the US - unless people happen to have been told the universities various people went to and/or where various discoveries happened, they have no real reason to know about it. Oxford, however, have the OED, and were first and all. Perhaps the reason Cambridge is better known than Oxford in the East is that English isn't spoken there, so nobody has heard of the OED.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford has the OED which is very widely used, and I daresay there's a positive feedback loop from the fact that they're more famous -> more people apply -> they interview in New York and Vancouver -> people who decide to go UCAS apply to Oxford as it's more convenient etc. My referee is pretty much the only person in my school who has heard about Cambridge and is thus not going "you're applying to WHERE in England?"

And similarly many people overseas would go 'huh' if one mentioned, say, Dartmouth, which is an excellent institution in itself but not of much international fame. We can't all know the top unis in every country :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They should know about it, because I've seen a fair few rankings which put Cambridge just behind Harvard on worldwide scales.

ReputationRep:
    Dartmouth is far more famous than Cambridge, UK
    Yeah right... what is it's name again... Dartmouth.. never heard of it...

Also, what I find strange is that MIT has this sort of exchange program with University of Cambridge... but not with university of Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    wow not true. as im sure you ALLL KNOW. American in general are kind of stupid and don't know about anything outside of the united states... like i know someone who thought Paris was a city in London... yes. she went to harvard. anyway... to those of us who have an IQ above 0.5 ...cambridge is just as well known as oxford. we associate the two universities mainly with dictionaries and anthologies. if you are an English major- you definitely know both universities WELL. And MIT will let you go anywhere you want including Cambridge. our top ranking schools make accommodations for their students without any limits. If i was at MIT and wanted to go to mars i could. not really. but basically.

in general, americans wouldn't know which school is older or which specializes more in the humanities or sciences... they vaguely know that oxford and cambridge are the harvard and yale of england. but don't be too hard on us.. you brits couldn't name half of the most prestigious schools in america.. all you know- i bet - is harvard princeton yale... (on average)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.