Turn on thread page Beta

Luxury flats rented to council tenants for only £75 a week watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Yes. A cheap place to live in.

The problem is that these are luxury flats: the tax payer is very, very heavily subsidising these facts. It cannot be justified for us to give luxury accomodation to those in need of social housing, whilst those who afford it themselves get inferior accomodation or have to pay £500k to get one of the flats.

There is no problem with the fact that social housing is provided (well there is given that people are idiots and just get pregnant without any thought for the consequences in the knowledge that the council and tax payers will provide for them, but thats off-topic), but there is a MASSIVE problem with the fact that social housing is so expensive and luxurious in this case.

well iam just happy for the tenants

but whose fault is it if social housing is needed but the councils aren't building anymore? people (rightly or wrongly) need social housing and if this is the only one available then they have no choice but to live in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
    I reckon a lot more of this will be seen in the future. New builds BTL developments are already being sold off to housing associations. They were not and are not worth 500k.
    What gives you the right to say they are not worth £500,000? Or do you believe the state should set house prices, perhaps we should just nationalise everyone's home and people pay the state for the privilege to live in them!

Fifty-six people are renting some nice council flats. How is this even an issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Fifty-six people are renting some nice council flats. How is this even an issue?
    Loads of people on here are against anything that costs taxpayers money but doesnt give them any tangible benefit. As you said, its hardly widespread, and if the developer (kindly) decided to let the luxury flats be used for council tenants instead of building lower quality housing out of sight (and therefore out of the minds of the snobs living there) then good for them.

(I may of got the funding of this project wrong as in typical daily mail style, its low on substance high on controversy).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    To me it's that i'm paying for people to live in anything but a basic bus shelter. If I could guarantee that if I had a baby tommorow and signed on that i'd get one of those flats believe me I would. The people they've put in those flats because if they do dig themselves out it will actually result in them living in a worse house!
    How much of your wage alone goes towards council houses?
    So what if a few people get a nice flat to live in, you do not know the situation them or their family is in so its not really your place to go off on one about their leeching off the system. They still pay bills, rent, mortgage in a lot of cases etc.
    Of course a minority are going to/already do abuse the system, the vast majority however genuinely need the help

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure most people are not against people getting council housing if they are in genuine need. Ignoring the benefit cheats etc, it's still silly that they're getting luxury flats. It's not fair, for the people paying for it (it doesn't matter how small an amount it is as a percentage of income), and it's not fair for others who are in the same situation but are given worse accomodation.

I think the main issue is that it's just another highlight of how incompetent the government is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    What gives you the right to say they are not worth £500,000? Or do you believe the state should set house prices, perhaps we should just nationalise everyone's home and people pay the state for the privilege to live in them!
    Rent £900 pcm
    interest only mortgage on 0.5 mil £2500+ pcm.

Worth 500k my arse and I expect them to come down 60% at least over the next few years. I think it's hilarious anyone who was idiot enough to buy these riverside rabbit hutches is getting a bunch of chavs for neighbours now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_2)
    No of course it hasn't been 'privatised by the middle classes' but the main problem I have is that the people who live here aren't very nice... Their children and teenagers vandalise the other houses in the area occasionally and when walking along its not uncommon to get some abuse thrown at you by one of the local chavs!!

Also, you wouldn't expect the Government to plonk several high rise council flat buildings in the middle of Chelsea in London would you? If they did, there would be outrage... its the same thing where I live!
    Fair enough if they aren't nice but lots of nice people do live in council houses and flats are nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    No, because even the hard working middles classes can't afford such housing.

No, I just don't think totalitarian 'charity' should be forced on me, while most people never enjoy such things.

B******s! Do you really want to live next to a bunch of chavs who will start a fire/car fight on your lovely field of green?
    I've lived in many places, a rough inner city, nice suburb, small town. The difference is nowhere near as clear cut as you make out. I lived nextdoor to a family with six bedroom, three bathroom room house in nice area. They were the dirtiest people I have ever known. Their house was filthy and they had rats running round the garden as they had so much waste lying around. They frightened other neighbours. Worse than anything I ever encountered in an area regarded as a slum. My grandparents lived in a council house and they, and their neighbours, were lovely people. When my grandmother was very ill, she had terminal cancern, her neighbours were fantastic. Definitely not chavs.

ReputationRep:
    Its even more ridiculous that the law states that builders have to provide council housing if they build more than 15 houses.
    Why? There is no real incentive for building cheap housing otherwise.
    The council has not paid especially for luxury flats, the builders are obliged to provide some low cost housing, which they have. I see no problem, although it is odd to do it by the main development, their's nothing wrong with it.

I think the real problem here is the stereotyping of people living in council accomodation by many TSR users.

ReputationRep:
    This is so boring, I work on MAJORITY cases. Just because you can pull up a select few examples of people who actually pull their finger out - like disabled people, doesn't mean i'm not going to generalise a whole group of people. Strangely enough I know a fair few people who live in council housing being as I lived in an ex-council house growing up. My neighbors all around me were simply women who didn't think twice before sleeping with somebody whether they would be a good father or not, because the state would pay for everything for them. On top of that my uncle lives in a council house and hasn't worked even though he could. I probably know a couple of hundred people overall who live in council house accomodation and not one of them is a couple working full time, they're all either single or both part time workers not putting their full effort in because they don't have to.
    I know people I work with who live in council house, they both work, nice family with two kids. On their incomes in the area we live they couldn't afford to buy a one bedroom flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flump)
    I've lived in many places, a rough inner city, nice suburb, small town. The difference is nowhere near as clear cut as you make out. I lived nextdoor to a family with six bedroom, three bathroom room house in nice area. They were the dirtiest people I have ever known. Their house was filthy and they had rats running round the garden as they had so much waste lying around. They frightened other neighbours. Worse than anything I ever encountered in an area regarded as a slum. My grandparents lived in a council house and they, and their neighbours, were lovely people. When my grandmother was very ill, she had terminal cancern, her neighbours were fantastic. Definitely not chavs.
    Lucky grandparents. However, these days the whole system is weighted in favour of chavs. 14 year old pregnant girls are put first on the list, while working class and hard working families are shoved off to try and find their way in private housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fisherman)
    Why? There is no real incentive for building cheap housing otherwise.
    The council has not paid especially for luxury flats, the builders are obliged to provide some low cost housing, which they have. I see no problem, although it is odd to do it by the main development, their's nothing wrong with it.
    That is something we call Corvee. Its where the government demands services and labour. Builders should be allowed to build whatever they want. If the council wants more council housing, they should pay the builders to build it, not force them to.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky grandparents. However, these days the whole system is weighted in favour of chavs. 14 year old pregnant girls are put first on the list, while working class and hard working families are shoved off to try and find their way in private housing.
    I don't believe a pregnant 14 year old would get a tenancy, if not living with parents they would be in care. If what you are saying is true can you provide a source? One of my neighbours is a foster carer and she has had pregnant 14 year old in her care and they stay in care till 16 and are only able to move on with their child if they are considered able to care the child properly. One of her foster kids had the baby taken into care (went to another foster mother when he was nearly 2) so if her plan was to get a council flat it went badly wrong.

Locally I know of a couple of builders who have had to provide social housing, one built some sheltered flats for the elderly. This resulted in some older residents moving out of council houses freeing them up for families. Another build flats on a rented and shared ownership basis which were offered to young people in certain employment (things like care and nursing) and local couples had first chance (i.e. they had to demonstrate they had lived in the local area for a certain number of years.) I thought both schemes were good. Wouldn't have bothered me if they had been nextdoor. Both were in very good areas.

ReputationRep:
    If they live there long enough, they can buy the apartments for a bargain! Wahaay!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-just-75.html

This country has truly gone mad, NuLab has tried to make it shameful to be a successful, middle class, family unit with a job. Its easier to get a house if your a debaucherous slapper or a lay about who has no incentive to find work because of the benefits of being unemployed.

Of course the lefties will probably triumph this as one step towards class warfare and the glorious proletariat revolution!

Council housing is integral to those with low incomes. That doesn't strictly mean that you don't have a job. Are you suggesting that having a low income makes you an awful person?

My grandfather lived in a council house for a fair while. He was an electrical engineer at the time, not exactly an idle layabout. With a housewife and a family of five children to support having a relatively high income isn't going to get you far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 251)
    How much of your wage alone goes towards council houses?
    So what if a few people get a nice flat to live in, you do not know the situation them or their family is in so its not really your place to go off on one about their leeching off the system. They still pay bills, rent, mortgage in a lot of cases etc.
    Of course a minority are going to/already do abuse the system, the vast majority however genuinely need the help
    This is about COUNCIL HOUSES. No mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-just-75.html

This country has truly gone mad, NuLab has tried to make it shameful to be a successful, middle class, family unit with a job. Its easier to get a house if your a debaucherous slapper or a lay about who has no incentive to find work because of the benefits of being unemployed.

Of course the lefties will probably triumph this as one step towards class warfare and the glorious proletariat revolution!
    whats the air like up there on your high horse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flump)
    I know people I work with who live in council house, they both work, nice family with two kids. On their incomes in the area we live they couldn't afford to buy a one bedroom flat.
    It's a good job they had 2 kids they couldn't afford to top it all off then, who have essentially been born into the same scenario as their parents thereby perpetuating the cycle of free housing validated by a poor start.

ReputationRep:
    It's a good job they had 2 kids they couldn't afford to top it all off then, who have essentially been born into the same scenario as their parents thereby perpetuating the cycle of free housing validated by a poor start.
    It isn't free housing. They are both tax payers doing valuable work. Their daughter is at university. What are you on about? What do you know about perpetuating the cycle of free housing? The grandparents have their own houses, the area has got so expensive lots of locals can't buy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 16, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.