suceeding at begging your firm on results day? Watch

Mayfly
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by inthehat)
annd if you dont get ur grades but there letting u in will track still just say accepted or whatever
Yup, I thought Oxford might contact me with their decision, but they put it on track first. So keep checking.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by JW)
Not strictly true. A guy at my school missed his AAA offer last year, phoned up and was accepted, albeit to a pretty irrelevant college.
I missed mine and got into a pretty 'relevant' college (if there is such a thing, dear god).
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by reality139)
If on track it says your offer is rejected..just give up or what?
Unless you have something NEW to tell them about then it's best not to waste your time.

To undo a rejection once it shows on Track a uni has to jump through a whole bunch of UCAS hoops - so unless you want to phone up, beg your heart out and then deal with being told that it's still not enough (ie not the most positive way to start sorting out your insurance stuff and/or clearing) then it's best in most cases to just move on.
Charlybob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LaurenFah)
Both Lancaster University. Although it's known for 'lenient' grade boundaries - I heard of quite the opposite come results day, so it's definitely getting a lot tougher (sorry to potential Lancastrian's scared of their grades!).
I want to shoot you right now :cry:
reality139
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Unless you have something NEW to tell them about then it's best not to waste your time.

To undo a rejection once it shows on Track a uni has to jump through a whole bunch of UCAS hoops - so unless you want to phone up, beg your heart out and then deal with being told that it's still not enough (ie not the most positive way to start sorting out your insurance stuff and/or clearing) then it's best in most cases to just move on.
Thanks.
Champagne-Dahling
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Denisa)
I'm from Romania, I'm applying for International Business with French at the University Birmingham(my firm) and I just got my exam results today...I am close to tears cause my situation defines "narrowly failing". Our grading system goes from 1 to 10. And my conditions were: 8 out of 10 in French; 6 out of 10 in Maths and 8 out of 10 overall grade. And I got a perfect 10 in French, my overall grade is 9.10 but I missed my Maths grade, I got a 5.8 I am going to send the uni my results next week and I think I'm going to ring up. Does anyone think I have a chance?

You've got a better chance than most- the university will want your money...
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Champagne-Dahling)
You've got a better chance than most- the university will want your money...
Not really - Romania is in the EU and so pay fees at the same rate as UK students.
JW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mayfly)
I missed mine and got into a pretty 'relevant' college (if there is such a thing, dear god).
St. Benet's Hall probably doesn't fall into that bracket.
tiger_vio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am absolutley bricking it.

My firm is Cardiff for psychlogy (offer is AAA) and im pretty damn sure i've got ABB I worked so hard as well! Anyone have any experience with that uni and course?
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PQ)

This is SOOOO confusing now...people say if you havnt got the grades ring and argue your case...yet some people say there is next to no point...which should you do and surely track says rejected or whatever if you missed your grades.....
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kingofgods)
This is SOOOO confusing now...people say if you havnt got the grades ring and argue your case...yet some people say there is next to no point...which should you do and surely track says rejected or whatever if you missed your grades.....
If you've missed your grades CHECK TRACK

If you've missed your grades and track says you're unsuccessful then there isn't much point ringing your firm

If you've missed your grades and Track says you've been accepted/your firm has changed to unconditional then there isn't ANY point in ringing your firm because they've already accepted you

If you've missed your grades and track says "you have accepted an offer" (or whatever it says at the moment) and your firm choice still says "Conditional firm" then your firm choice EITHER hasn't decided yet or has decided and not told UCAS yet - either way THIS is when you ring and be prepared to argue your case.
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kingofgods)
Firstly PQ clearly knows what she is talking about in terms of how likely you are to succeed as she works for a uni.
Secondly what is the right thing for you to do in the hypothetical case of missing an offer is as much about you and your psychological nature as the chance of success. For some people would just have to ring up the uni that had rejected them even though their chances of getting a different decision were low. Others if they did ring up would be in a state if rejected again on the phone and unable to move forward.
Thirdly if you do ring up what will you say? Need something solid to say. Just begging will not work.
kingofgods
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Firstly PQ clearly knows what she is talking about in terms of how likely you are to succeed as she works for a uni.
Secondly what is the right thing for you to do in the hypothetical case of missing an offer is as much about you and your psychological nature as the chance of success. For some people would just have to ring up the uni that had rejected them even though their chances of getting a different decision were low. Others if they did ring up would be in a state if rejected again on the phone and unable to move forward.
Thirdly if you do ring up what will you say? Need something solid to say. Just begging will not work.
I know PQ knows what she is saying hence why i wanted her to clear things up for me...thanks
tiger_vio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Paulwhy)
Is a relevant point for arguing that I did not add a violin grade to UCAS that I would have otherwise got UCAS points for? ;/
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tiger_vio)
Is a relevant point for arguing that I did not add a violin grade to UCAS that I would have otherwise got UCAS points for? ;/
not really unless you're applying for a music course or a course/university that makes low offers and fills most of it's places through clearing anyway.
Rokit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you've missed your grades CHECK TRACK

If you've missed your grades and track says you're unsuccessful then there isn't much point ringing your firm

If you've missed your grades and Track says you've been accepted/your firm has changed to unconditional then there isn't ANY point in ringing your firm because they've already accepted you

If you've missed your grades and track says "you have accepted an offer" (or whatever it says at the moment) and your firm choice still says "Conditional firm" then your firm choice EITHER hasn't decided yet or has decided and not told UCAS yet - either way THIS is when you ring and be prepared to argue your case.
You have the patience of a saint :p:
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rokit)
You have the patience of a saint :p:
next year I'm going to flowchart this bloomin stuff up in advance :p:
Cristiano12
Report 10 years ago
So, is it best not to ring the university if you've missed the offer straight after you get the results, and wait till you go home to check on track and see what the status is before? I've heard people save their firm choices contact number to their phone so they can immediately ring them if they fail to get their results, would this be a better idea?

When you ring the university, and you are required to beg, but you don't actually have a 'good' reason why you missed the grades, apart from the fact that you, well did...(by more than 10 UMS marks lets say), what can you actually say to justify your place?
Lastly, I reckon I have dropped a grade on a totally unrelated subject to the course I am applying to, if I tell them that the subject I dropped the grade in is unrelated to their course I hold a conditional offer for, would that work to my favour?
Paulwhy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cristiano12)
So, is it best not to ring the university if you've missed the offer straight after you get the results, and wait till you go home to check on track and see what the status is before?
Check this thread out:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=642652
i.e. you may well find out your uni status before you find out the grades.
jseldis
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm not sure how to beg them. I think having 4 medical school offers under my belt may prove helpful - but i may sound a complete **** mentioning it...i'm not sure..

I'd also say being prepared to visit the city for a second interview would be helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads